56 replies to this topic

#21 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

View Postsokitumi, on 21 March 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Wait you're saying that ghost heat was ever re-addressed? Pretty sure that stupid "balance" in a long line of other stupid "balancing" caused a mass exodus of much of talent in this game.

If that's what you consider "figuring it out"...

I believe he was referring to how long it took for people to adapt to the limitations ghost heat introduced. Which took more than 3 days....

View PostAntharPrime, on 21 March 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

I had no trouble using LRMs before the patch. You just had to be patient, position yourself properly and choose the right targets. With that I find that I could easily get 600 to 1200 damage per match, now there seems to be a bit of a speed bug with the new LRMs and I can't get more than 400 points of damage.

Well there are a lot more people carrying AMS these days.

Edited by Sable, 21 March 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#22 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostSable, on 21 March 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

I believe he was referring to how long it took for people to adapt to the limitations ghost heat introduced. Which took more than 3 days....

yeye i know, and i was just stating that the "sorting out" was in fact a decimation. And for anyone with a little time to play in the lab, it took about 3 games rather than 3 days to figure out how to get around ghost heat for high damage alpha builds. People were boating dakka mechs before then, and suddenly became kings of the hill, which made poptarting and peeking a valuable skill. Now we get more reason to peek and poptart, lrmaggedon2.

The balance in this game is a joke. Esp when a dev team is openly trying to counter a certain style, and then doing XYZ that totally promotes it. <rofl> LRM Speed + Narc buff at the same time? sure why not. Victors 20% movement nerf? Sure, seems just-about right. Gauss creatively nerfed into oblivion? Try "skill". Ghost heat itself? Genius! 3/3/3/3? Yeah that'll solve all-kinds-of-problems... </rofl> Don't even get me started on the cluster---- that is arty and air strikes....

One of the very-very few buffs they even landed anywhere near right since 2012, were pulse lasers.

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Ghost Heat now effects 2 of my Builds. My Jager40, an a home made Stalker (C). Those are on an Alt account only.

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

View Postsokitumi, on 21 March 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

This excuse is a little getting old 3 days after patch.

3 days is too long? Really? And the weekend is just starting.

I sure hope your real-world skills are up to snuff or you will be in for a really big disappointment and hardship. Not everybody is as fast and decisive as comrade Vladimir Putin. :D

Edited by Mystere, 21 March 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#25 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

PGI makes sweeping change to a weapon. Following weekend, PGI announces tournament. Over weekend, PGI collects metrics.
Following Tuesday PGI introduces heavy-handed nerf.

It PGI can give it 7 days, so can you.

#26 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 21 March 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

I'd still like to see them break the LRMs into 5 point groups and send them off toward random locations like they do with the SSRM2s. It's not as if they haven't figured out that part of the coding yet.

Let's not forget that SSRM's require Direct LOS to be fired at the "target Mech". The LRM's can fire with indirect LOS in play and as such the "target Mech" is a RED square and not a Mech proper.

Edited by Almond Brown, 21 March 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#27 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 21 March 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

PGI makes sweeping change to a weapon. Following weekend, PGI announces tournament. Over weekend, PGI collects metrics.
Following Tuesday PGI introduces heavy-handed nerf.

It PGI can give it 7 days, so can you.

"Sweeping changes?" Really?

LRM's speed increased 44.6%.
AMS range increased by 30m.
Couple Mechs got tweaked.

Sweeping changes indeed. :D

No wonder PGI doesn't listen to this rabble. :lol:

Edited by Almond Brown, 21 March 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#28 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 21 March 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

*goes back to his place*

*puts himself in it*

:ph34r:

#29 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Well with all the LRM whine in the forums you'd think they turned the world upside down. You don't have to change all that much for them to be sweeping... aka... an effect that seems to have a direct impact on "all" gameplay

Edited by Sable, 21 March 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#30 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostSable, on 21 March 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Well with all the LRM whine in the forums you'd think they turned the world upside down. You don't have to change all that much for them to be sweeping... aka... an effect that seems to have a direct impact on "all" gameplay

I see good deal more whine about whiners than i actually see lrm QQ. These threads with out exception have turned into a grand circle of reach arounds of forum warriors with thousands of useless cute posts about nothing at all.

Believe it or not, people can have an opinion on something. And yes 147% faster missiles (bc 150% is just too obvious that it's brainless) is actually kind of a big deal as far as balance goes. A 50% increase is simply more sledgehammer balancing.Is this a beta? NO. This game has been "live" for over a year. What a joke. And then some minor but needed narc adjustments at the same time... yeah quality theatre-of-the-unqualified.

They should change the warning (which start at about 50% of the missile arc) - betty's first voice to a deadpan "Warning: I'm useless" and the the second voice warning (which starts after no more missiles are in the air) to another dead pan "Warning: that was fun"

Edited by sokitumi, 21 March 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#31 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

@Thread title:

Posted Image

Couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Edited by FupDup, 21 March 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#32 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Missiles were definitely fine and used quite a bit before the patch. Missiles are the only thing in this game now & poptarts.
Brawlers cant paly in this LRM /poptart environmnet.
Sure i can hide and avoid them, wait 10 minutes hope they expend their LRM barrage, hope they dont have a spotter who can spot and have me killed on the othe side of a mountain, hope the thing im hiding next to is at least 3 storeys high and vertical or leaning in to me or ill get hit anyway, but the game is as boring as hell then. Now you cant go onto open ground without dying in anything. Such a bad move by the developers.

#33 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 21 March 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Missiles are the only thing in this game now & poptarts.

That's odd, neither missiles nor poptarts keep my 6xSL FS9-A from going on a killing spree.

#34 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 21 March 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Missiles were definitely fine and used quite a bit before the patch. Missiles are the only thing in this game now & poptarts.
Brawlers cant paly in this LRM /poptart environmnet.
Sure i can hide and avoid them, wait 10 minutes hope they expend their LRM barrage, hope they dont have a spotter who can spot and have me killed on the othe side of a mountain, hope the thing im hiding next to is at least 3 storeys high and vertical or leaning in to me or ill get hit anyway, but the game is as boring as hell then. Now you cant go onto open ground without dying in anything. Such a bad move by the developers.

Yes it's bad and most of what you say is pretty much spot on. But it's not impossible to brawl. Somehow my SRM+ML 55tonner GRF pug brawler I've been leveling since this ham storm began has a 1.6k/d... That would be way better without this beta-test-like missile environment tho.

It's more just annoying. And really easy to get dead by making a wrong turn.

Edited by sokitumi, 21 March 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#35 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

LRMs were fine. If you could not sneeze 1k damage with them before maybe you should look at how you were using them.
Not to speak ill of lesser players, but I would agree they are fine now also if it was my only means of doing well in this game.

Yes I can avoid them, but this game just went from somewhat tactical to all out testicle.

#36 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 21 March 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Let's not forget that SSRM's require Direct LOS to be fired at the "target Mech". The LRM's can fire with indirect LOS in play and as such the "target Mech" is a RED square and not a Mech proper.

That's where the whole "break them into 5 point groups" thing comes into play. LRM20 is fired, breaks into four 5 point groups, each group is assigned a location (like SSRMs), then does it's best to hit it. This way, not everything is zeroing in on the torsos....and defensive tactics like jumping just as they hit become useful. Not knowing where they're coming in at also changes that whole "chip the upper body apart" dynamic as well.

I still think that LRMs should have an almost flat trajectory if you have LOS to the target....and if you're using someone else's target to provide support, then they should Arc. But that'll never happen. Ever. Adjusting the trajectory is completely beyond anyone left at PGI's ability to do.

#37 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

View Postsokitumi, on 21 March 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

yeye i know, and i was just stating that the &quot;sorting out&quot; was in fact a decimation. And for anyone with a little time to play in the lab, it took about 3 games rather than 3 days to figure out how to get around ghost heat for high damage alpha builds. People were boating dakka mechs before then, and suddenly became kings of the hill, which made poptarting and peeking a valuable skill. Now we get more reason to peek and poptart, lrmaggedon2.

The balance in this game is a joke. Esp when a dev team is openly trying to counter a certain style, and then doing XYZ that totally promotes it. &lt;rofl&gt; LRM Speed + Narc buff at the same time? sure why not. Victors 20% movement nerf? Sure, seems just-about right. Gauss creatively nerfed into oblivion? Try &quot;skill&quot;. Ghost heat itself? Genius! 3/3/3/3? Yeah that'll solve all-kinds-of-problems... &lt;/rofl&gt; Don't even get me started on the cluster---- that is arty and air strikes....

One of the very-very few buffs they even landed anywhere near right since 2012, were pulse lasers.

Was with you all the way RIGHT up until the end there.

#38 Stacko

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

Wow... Is this game broke now or what??? MechWarrior/BattleTech was all about the diversity of the mechs and weapons and play styles.... Now I can't believe people are actually defending the new LRM madness. As if this game was ever about hiding in a f*&^ing hole and waiting for the storm of LRMs to subside. And the forum whores who keep trying to shout down the people trying to offer constructive criticism need to respect the opinions of others. We've payed our hard earned cash for this too - largely on good faith that PGI will actually get something right eventually... I can't believe that 1) PGI broke the game soo hard with this LRM crap.... or... 2) that they did it in the same week that Titanfall went live. OMFG when we thought there was no way they could destroy their player base any further, good ole PGI finds a way.

#39 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 21 March 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Have you tried that? You can fire them indirectly, you just cant shoot them over a hill (because of the flight path), but if you have a lock you can even shoot them at a target 1000m away. Granted, you might not hit (which is stupid for Streaks anyways, since the Computer in the mech should not fire them if they do not hit)

#40 psihius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 161 posts
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

LRM's are fine. What is not fine is the match making. When you are put against a few dd-c, cicada and a raven and a hefty 3-4 LRM boats and your own team has one ecm mech and one lrm boat - this is when game just breaks, as you can't counter the lights, you get an lrm rain you cant hide from (lights) and get covered by enemy ecm all over. You just cant do anything at that point if map does not have a tunnel or abuilding under witch to hide. Most people just dont put AMS because, surprise, cheese builds!

Personally, my unit needs bigger groups, because if when the team balance get screwed - premade or not, we are unable to make any impact what so ever.

Edited by psihius, 22 March 2014 - 04:43 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users