So What Do They Do When Lrms Are Getting Out Of Hand?

61 replies to this topic

#21 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

well currently I'm finding a mech that carries a mix of lasers lrm and srm the most effecive builds since patch.not that I've played much.

I am finding srm's hit and miss lol firing paired Sarms at a stationary atlas three volleys at 90 meters didn't register pulled back to 150 meters and they hurt it bad.

I would love to say that the lurm buff hasn't had much effect, but I'm finding mechs without lrms getting backside handed to me as much as I'm kicking others with even paired lrm10.

turrets on assault compound it which I think is the source of the lurm 'problem'

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 21 March 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

So due to my mediumness, I bought a Wolverine 7K to test LRM's. So no skills. 2 LRM 10's and an LRM 5.

Barely qualifies as a boat.

But people just do not understand how to deal with LRM's at all. I wish I could sit here and say I was awesome, but it's just bad play.

For instance, I was in a match where I managed to get above someone. They realized where I was shooting them from and moved to the wall below me to get out of sight.

Sounds good right?

But instead of walking along the wall to get to me, they would stand at the wall for 4 or 5 seconds, then move right back into a position where I could shoot them. It happened 7 or 8 times before I eventually killed them.

I guess they were hoping I'd forget they were down there or something?

But good lord.

Naw, most people playing this game are just plain bad. (God that made me sound like Vassago). I'm pretty average, and I am constantly flummoxed by the inability to grasp basic concepts I witness. I also think the poptart Meta has dumbed the playerbase down even further, since the concept of mobility and spacial awareness were not really essential for potarting.

Repositioning? Naw, like you say, instead I will just run back and forth from cover to open, at the exact same spot, in predictable intervals like a bloody yoyo. LRMs are still mediocre past 500 meters, especially against anything fast.

Just as bad, is people are whining about how OP LRMs are, yet next to no one uses NARC, or holds a lock, so that the LRMs on THEIR team can be just as effective as the LRMs the other guys are throwing at them. I'm driving a LRM Orion right now, with 4 ARLM10, and my average damage is up, but funnily enough, have had few truly GOOD matches. Instead of 4-5 kill 700-1000 pt matches every 3-4th drop, I am getting like, 2 kills, 4 on my best drop yet, and only one match over 650 damage. I switch it back to the 4 ASRM4 and AC10 model, and my average damage dips a bit, but I start getting much higher kills and damage.

Doesn't sound like LRMs are terribly OP to me, just finally useful again. I suppose a team that actually uses spotters and coordination could skin a herd of cats with them, but goods fighting goods? MEH.

#23 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Before i read your post, i was about to answer: They will rebalance them in 7 months.
But then i saw you claimed they were out of hand before the patch.
Now i don't know what to say :rolleyes:

#24 MayGay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

No, actually I've been playing from closed beta, and I haven't seen so many LRM boats since Artemis was broken. I'm just tired of seeing 6+ LRM boats every match, and I don't really like using them myself.

Oh and yes when there are an average of 3 champion stalkers and 2 other missile boats per team, then yes LRMs are out of hand, and that is what I have been seeing for about a month and a half.

#25 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 21 March 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

TAG does defeat enemy ECM which is why it is so important for LRM users. BUT, TAG also provides a spread reduction modifier which you don't get from friendly mechs if the target is an ECM mech. TAG, NARC, and Artemis are essential to making LRMs deadly. The TAG effect only lasts for 1s which, I guess is ok, but it could be longer.

TAG doesn't provide spread reduction on ECM mechs even when you self-TAG, so there's no difference there. It seems entirely reasonable that ECM would defeat TAG's spread bonus. I don't have a problem with that.

The problem with Lights isn't that you can't damage them but rather that it is hard to keep the TAG on them and that most of your payload is wasted on them. Against all targets under 120kph, LRMs splash torsos. Against anything faster and the missiles all go for the legs due to the weird angle they take pre-hit. Essentially, you're not getting anything from TAG even if you can keep it on them every second or so because the spread is about the size of a dime on screen vs legs that are barely 1/4th as wide. Why is there a double standard on where the missiles are hitting?

Again, none of this seems like a problem to me. You waste most of your payload with every other weapon against light mechs, since your hit rate with them is going to be lower than against bigger mechs. I think the weird LRM attack angle is a good thing, as dealing any damage to a light mech's legs is a great thing in my book. You take out a light's legs, and it's dead in short order. I actually successfully chased down a fleeing Firestarter in my LRM5 Oxide and took him out. That was a good time.

My only suggestion was to slightly increase spread (like the difference between an LRM5 and LRM10) and lock-on time for indirect fire only. I think reduced damaged concentration and reduced total damage vs. light mechs is a good compromise for the safety that firing from behind cover provides.

I really would love it if LRMs ripple fired in groups of 5 which each group focusing in on locations like Streaks. Artemis, NARC, and TAG would then increase the chance of hitting torsos. You could reduce missile health so that AMS was stronger to counter the fact that the missiles no longer have a spread.

I don't know about requiring ripple fire (though that would be a great feature for balancing Clan LRMs, in my opinion), but a streak-like system might work.

#26 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostJames Griffin, on 21 March 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Lots of whining

Good luck finding someone to group with so you aren't with "nubs" anymore!

#27 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

LRMs are not out of hand. It's just that people have gotten used to a battle environment where their use was severely limited by them not being effective. Now that they are, more people are using them again. In addition, they are very visible weapons, streaking up into the sky to come down, so people naturally panic when they see four or five volleys of LRMs in a way they don't when they are fired upon by four or five autocannon...because they actually have time to see (and avoid) the missiles.

In truth, the question could be turned around. What did they do when autocannons got out of hand? Answer: nothing. Autocannons have long been overused because they do far more damage than any other weapon with the least heat. Yet, only when people are faced with a -minimal- increase in the speed of LRMs do we see 'people are overusing LRMs' posts.

Is -any- use overuse to you? If you have a force of 12 mechs, and each mounts a single LRM launcher, is that overuse because a pilot wants to have that capability in their mech in addition to other weapons? Why would that be overuse, but every mech using lasers, PPCs, or cannon is not?

Most mechs come standard with some capability to use LRMs/SRMs...because those weapons have their own place on the battlefield. To say mechs shouldn't use the weapons they were designed to use is rather hard to accept. SRMs are currently still broken with hit detection issues, so why would a mech -not- use LRMs in their place?

No, this is just a case of people suddenly reacting to a weapon system made viable once again that they haven't had to worry about for a long time, not a case of 'over use'. If we are going to start down that road, then we better start looking at how many autocannon, lasers, PPCs, MGs, Flamers, SRMs, and Gauss Rifles a side will be allowed in equal measures....and if you happen to be fielding a mech with one of those weapons, you'll have to accept the results of your own cries for being excluded from battles based on that.

My two cents.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 21 March 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#28 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

I've seen a couple of posts in this thread that say a friendly TAG doesn't help a teammate's missiles track any better, and that TAGging an ECM mech doesn't give a tracking bonus either, but where is this documented? I've never heard of these mechanics in MWO.

As far as I know, a TAG is a TAG, regardless of who's doing the TAGging or who's beimg TAGged. It always functions the same way.

Edited by DEMAX51, 21 March 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#29 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

As to the thread title.

Hopefully they stop listening to the mouth breathers around here that wail and flail every time something is changed and the ones that just continuously ask for easy buttons

(My personal favorite easy button was the thread asking that AMS auto-target and auto-shoot down any mechs that jump)

#30 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostSandpit, on 21 March 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

As to the thread title.

Hopefully they stop listening to the mouth breathers around here that wail and flail every time something is changed and the ones that just continuously ask for easy buttons

(My personal favorite easy button was the thread asking that AMS auto-target and auto-shoot down any mechs that jump)

I remember that thread - it was worth a laugh, at least.

#31 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

I've noticed that as of late, when I Leeroy Jenkins, I get punished a lot harder, a lot faster.

This is a good thing. LRMs being decent is a good thing.

#32 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

lol as I've pointed out in every other "EMG LRM OP" thread

1000 damage in LRM mech = "Ehr Meh Gerd! LRMs are op! You suxxorz and has no skillz. I'm elite and shouldn't be killed like that!"
1000 damage in any other mech = "Good job dude! You did great that round!"

Let the lurms rain hell as far as I'm concernced

#33 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

That's why I'm doing it in my CAT-C1(F)

I was playing to the meta before it was the meta

#34 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 March 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

such a hipster :rolleyes:

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 March 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

do you want some PBR with that?

#36 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

do you want some PBR with that?

Nah brah
I'm old school, I drink homebrew because I refuse to support Beer Inc. :rolleyes:

#37 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 21 March 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Nah brah
I'm old school, I drink homebrew because I refuse to support Beer Inc. :rolleyes:

we call that moonshine in Arkansas :huh:

#38 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Well... If you *really* want to stop people from using LRMS... go out there and TAG for them, then steal all the kills with 2 erll :rolleyes:

I keed, I keed.

I *would* like to be able to have some sort of awareness as to the existence of incoming *friendly* lrms. Maybe an on-screen indicator or something that lrms are inbound on the mech I currently have targeted. When I'm knife-fighting, the current lrm horde has made pug friendly fire even worse than usual. I'm tagging for you! stop shooting me!

Edited by Fierostetz, 21 March 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#39 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 March 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

(God that made me sound like Vassago).

You say that like it's a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by FupDup, 21 March 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#40 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I just played a few rounds and the AC5/PPC poptarts are back in full force. It was fun while it lasted... :rolleyes:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users