So What Do They Do When Lrms Are Getting Out Of Hand?

61 replies to this topic

#41 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 21 March 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

So due to my mediumness, I bought a Wolverine 7K to test LRM's. So no skills. 2 LRM 10's and an LRM 5.

Barely qualifies as a boat.

But people just do not understand how to deal with LRM's at all. I wish I could sit here and say I was awesome, but it's just bad play.

For instance, I was in a match where I managed to get above someone. They realized where I was shooting them from and moved to the wall below me to get out of sight.

Sounds good right?

But instead of walking along the wall to get to me, they would stand at the wall for 4 or 5 seconds, then move right back into a position where I could shoot them. It happened 7 or 8 times before I eventually killed them.

I guess they were hoping I'd forget they were down there or something?

But good lord.

Damn you for revealing my l33t tactics!!!

#42 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

I am so jaded I figured it was premptive to a new ecm mech. Make it so bad ecm isn't the *********** of informational warfare.

#43 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 21 March 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

I am so jaded I figured it was premptive to a new ecm mech. Make it so bad ecm isn't the *********** of informational warfare.

It's still just as good as if it ever was- if anything, it's even more in demand now :rolleyes:.

#44 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

I dont have problems on LRMs.....my boars head LRM10 finally do something for that im grateful.

And i see a lot of people using AMS.

#45 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 21 March 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Well... If you *really* want to stop people from using LRMS... go out there and TAG for them, then steal all the kills with 2 erll :rolleyes:

I keed, I keed.

I *would* like to be able to have some sort of awareness as to the existence of incoming *friendly* lrms. Maybe an on-screen indicator or something that lrms are inbound on the mech I currently have targeted. When I'm knife-fighting, the current lrm horde has made pug friendly fire even worse than usual. I'm tagging for you! stop shooting me!

There is an "incoming LRMs" icon that appears near an enemy's red triangle, so you can already do this. You don't even have to be targeting the mech to see it.

Edited by DEMAX51, 21 March 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#46 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Well to be honest about lrms, I've noticed games can be pretty frustrating if no one my side has ECM. I kinda expect within a few weeks everyone will be running AMS if they can't run ECM along with ECM mechs being more common. So for the time being, AMS isn't an optional piece of gear like it normally is. :/

Edited by TehSBGX, 21 March 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#47 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostSephlock, on 21 March 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

It's still just as good as if it ever was- if anything, it's even more in demand now :rolleyes:.

That is what I meant to say.
I suspect that PGI is making LRMs so brutal the community begs for another ECM mech, like it is some sort of fix to LRMs.

#48 Iceolator

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Are you guys serious? Artemis LRMs can be dodged entirely in plain field by any mech with ~80+ km/h speed by moving properly. Hell, i can pull it with my 64 km/h hunchie too. I'm not even talking about non-Artemis ones - don't think it's possible to hit anything that isn't AFK with it. And if you can't go that fast - stick to the herd and get a damn AMS/ECM. You can also use COVER (probably a new concept for most of people who whine about LRM, google it). Seriously, how hard can it be? Jesus...

Edited by Myaff, 21 March 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostFupDup, on 21 March 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :P

:mellow:

View PostTehSBGX, on 21 March 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

Well to be honest about lrms, I've noticed games can be pretty frustrating if no one my side has ECM. I kinda expect within a few weeks everyone will be running AMS if they can't run ECM along with ECM mechs being more common. So for the time being, AMS isn't an optional piece of gear like it normally is. :/

and yet almost none of my mechs run AMS or ECM. And I have yet to die from LRMs post patch.

#50 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

LRMs are not out of hand. Stop standing still and trying to play Standoff with an LRM boat.. Sheesh.

#51 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 21 March 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

There is an "incoming LRMs" icon that appears near an enemy's red triangle, so you can already do this. You don't even have to be targeting the mech to see it.

I can't see the direction they're coming from though. I'm not saying that it's necessary or that I feel I need it... just that it would be nice :P people wish for LOTS of unlikely stuff in this game... so that's mine :mellow:

#52 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

That would make a good extra feature for AMS. A directional indicator for incoming missiles.

#53 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostJames Griffin, on 21 March 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

They buff them. Really, WTF? The last 10 or so matches I've played, the first time I get targeted by the enemy I have an unending stream of LRMs hitting me, and now I can't even get to cover before I get slammed by them. It is completely out of hand right now.

First this is not canon for Battletech, I don't know how much you are trying to stick to canon, but it takes semi-guided LRMs and TAG to even come close to this. First semi-guided LRMs aren't even available until 3057, meaning TAG should not even affect LRMs, and semi-guided LRMs are incompatible with Artemis IV and cost three times the amount of standard LRMs. That being said, indirect fire with LRMs is dreadfully inaccurate, the TT rules make it a long shot at best. The formula is firing 'mech's gunnery usually 4, + range, + movement, +1 for indirect fire, target movement, + spotter's movement, + terrain modifiers from the spotting unit, furthermore if the spotter makes any attacks add +1, and + 1 to any attacks the spotter makes, than try to roll that number on 2 6-sided dice. So we'll say target is 420 meters away or 14 hexes making it medium range at +2, pilot has a gunnery skill of 4, 'mech didn't move, but the spotter did move at a run so +2, but did not attack, target is an Atlas who moved forward at a run in a straight line for a +2 and there is no cover so the 'mech making an indirect attack against a running Atlas with a light 'mech spotting at medium range requires the roll of 11 on 2d6, a very low probability shot.

I recommend cutting indirect LRM fire accuracy in half, reducing spread, reducing the height LRMs climb to, and increasing reload times on all launchers. Leave TAG as it is I like that it is useful now. Also immediately removing the champion stalker from the trial 'mechs, if people want 60 LRM tubes with A IV, let them fork out the 12+ million c-bills for it. As right now, there really is no point in taking anything other than an LRM boat.

Don't like LRMs? Oh you must be a bad player man. Bad Bad Bad

#54 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostRex Budman, on 21 March 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

Don't like LRMs? Oh you must be a bad player man. Bad Bad Bad

Not liking them is fine. Calling them overpowered makes us question your opinion.

#55 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 21 March 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Not liking them is fine. Calling them overpowered makes us question your opinion.

Question my opinion all you like - it is, after all, an opinion...

#56 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

I believe PGI was warned not to increase LRM speed.

#57 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

Sort of makes you wonder if all this whining about the LRMs is based on the mixed Elo levels playing the game.

Boats is boats is boats. PPC, AC, LRM...a Boat is a boat.

Experienced players with LRM boats stay over 180m from other boats on their team but stick with the team. They don't stand still and target fixate while firing....they keep moving. They don't zoom all the way in while they do it, either. They use AMS and cover.

Newer players do just the opposite. And die. Fast.

Makes you wonder if the newer players would have a faster learning curve if they weren't thrown directly into the deep end the moment their 25 cadet matches were up.

#58 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Yo OPer*

How about PGI changes LRMs hit mechanics... to the SAME as STREAKS?

This will spread out damage and BALANCE them... IMHO.

Problem Solved... if PGI can do this without Coding Issues! :P

#59 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:20 AM

You know, it's amazing just how few AMS equipped mechs I see on a nightly basis. people are starting to learn, but you'd think after the fortieth salvo they'd figure "derp I should get my AMS!"

People don't want to rebuild their mechs and find the tonnage for AMS.

That's the whole problem here. Because honestly, my lance and I don't fear LRM storms all that much. Get enough AMS on the field and 2 tons of ammo (if you move less than 80 kph) on each slower mech and LRMs have a much harder time getting through and dealing significant damage. Use buildings and especially tall rock formations as cover, as part of your Advance (zomg, you have to move forward to deal with the enemy! OP OP OP!) and LRMs become nothing to fear at all. Then you and your lance get into kidney shanking range...and they're done.

#60 Merc Montego

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

I don't really enjoy running around 10 minutes, hiding, ducking behind rocks, cuddling with my ECM buddy only to eventually get in close and maybe have 20 seconds of brawling before more missiles fly in. The fast LRM speed makes it easier for folks to hit with LRMs requiring less skill for more damage. If I wanted to just drive a mech around for 10 minutes I'd do it in the training area.

Yes there are ways to help mitigate all the LRM spam but I'm here to have fun. And unfortunately, those ways are just the opposite.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users