List Of Approved Builds - Srms And Lasers Only!

51 replies to this topic

#41 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

How are ERLLs 'cheese'?

They're tremendously hot so you either can't fire them frequently or you have to spend a lot of tonnage on heat sinks.
They spread damage
You can't fire more than 2 of them before ghost heat kicks in
Their damage drops off past 675m so while you can hit someone very far out, you really aren't doing much damage (especially considering the spread).

Are they wimpy? No. But I don't think they come anywhere close to falling into the cheese category. If they were alpha-pinpoint like PPCs I could see maybe some merit to being cheese. But as currently implemented? No.

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Fair enough, no ERLLs. Too cheesy.

Anyone else with a proper gimped build that's so bad it's not 'cheesy'?

Edited by topgun505, 22 March 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#42 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I think that Bishop may have come up with this Shawk build originally when we were discussing things before they launched.
Great when the SRM gods smile.

#43 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

View Posttopgun505, on 22 March 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

How are ERLLs 'cheese'?

They're tremendously hot so you either can't fire them frequently or you have to spend a lot of tonnage on heat sinks.
They spread damage
You can't fire more than 2 of them before ghost heat kicks in
Their damage drops off past 675m so while you can hit someone very far out, you really aren't doing much damage (especially considering the spread).

Are they wimpy? No. But I don't think they come anywhere close to falling into the cheese category. If they were alpha-pinpoint like PPCs I could see maybe some merit to being cheese. But as currently implemented? No.

just to make clear, the cookie cutter build is the raven 3l with ECM and ERLLs.
it's a camouflaged sniper that you can't hit back with the same ease, since it's such a smaller target than your typical sniper.

that's about it.
nothing wrong with ERLL. this is mostly due to people just bringing cookie cutter builds - some people will see them and don't recognize it's a 2x, so they think it's a 3L

it's bound to happen if you bring a build you read about in forums and that maany people are fielding.

read: cookie cutter

Posted Image

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 22 March 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

I think that Bishop may have come up with this Shawk build originally when we were discussing things before they launched.
Great when the SRM gods smile.

we seem to be missing th link

#45 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

4 Medium pulse laser dragon, single heat sinks, no endo, no ferro ;) The good ol' days

Psikez: Been hating on LRMs since october 6th 2012 at least lolol

Edited by Psikez, 22 March 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#46 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

I will accept only builds that have small or medium lasers and srm 2,4 or 6, no clan srm's., no artemis, no ECM, no modules or consumables of any sort and no Jumpjets.

Also, no Light, heavy or assault mechs should be allowed.

Also, no more than 2 of the same type weapon should be allowed.

Also, we should not allow mechs with lower arm actuators.

There should also be a rule against shooting someone in the legs or cockpit, Maybe PGI could just make those areas immune to damage?

And last but not least, Remove friendly fire and group options.

Only when all of the above have been met will this be a game where all mechs have a role to fill!

#47 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

The HBK-4SB is the only true choice for real mech warriors! Stock build only!

All other mechs are Cheese!
YES CHEESE!

So cheesey... mmm cheese, yummy cheese, goes with everything, Why use the word cheese in any context but good?
I guess if you are lactose intolerant that cheese might seem bad, or some of these really weird vegans... but for everyone else....

Xtra cheese please!, why sure everyone will pay more for more cheese on their pizza, I think it is all a conspiracy against dairy products by those who would deny us all the many cheeses that the world abounds in, Pinky says it so much better than I can:

Edited by Abivard, 23 March 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#48 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 March 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

we seem to be missing th link

Got interupted.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...27d44172e4b9ff4

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 23 March 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

AH!

Yeah, SRM hit detection and ammo issues caused me to redesign it.
SHD-2H
is my current build but hoping to go back to the other if srms ever get properly fixed

#50 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

My own Shad 2H(P) is this. Of course, since it has a pair of AC/2 on it, it doesn't qualify as an "approved" build because a 6 ton weapon that has a whopping alpha damage of 2, plus high heat and constant exposure to get good DPS, is clearly cheese. ;)

It does rake in C-Bills like nobody's business, though, due to the sheer DPS it can crank out. And it can also direct that damage into one component (well, mostly) when you need an accurate kill instead of pray-and-pray money farming. My current record for most C-Bills in a match with it is something around ~250,000...and I wasn't even using Premium Time to get that. ;)

Edited by FupDup, 23 March 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#51 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 March 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

AH!

Yeah, SRM hit detection and ammo issues caused me to redesign it.
SHD-2H
is my current build but hoping to go back to the other if srms ever get properly fixed

Well, I'm not sure 300 would be enough. On my 22 tube 2D2, I ran out with 600 shots, so I upgraded to 800 missiles. I've yet to run out on that one. When hit detection is fixed, I think we'll be seeing more 50+55 ton SRM carriers, and maybe even jenner Ds without streaks.

#52 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

For this week I've dropped one SSRM and put on an LRM5 it trolls beautifully.http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6c1ce44ac26c519
I find the AC5 and LL work well together, it helps when flanking lurmboots. trial Stalkers seem to suffer from target fixation and don't notice their ST disappearing until they go boom - especially if you make sure you're at 1005m ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users