41 replies to this topic

#21 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

If you use a big XL the torso twst is actually quite decent, not fast mind you but much faster than a stalkers.

#22 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:49 AM

Banshee more of a fast striker, shoot your weapons get out of the way. 3S on the other hand plays more like an Atlas load it up with weapons and alpha strike till the screaming stops!

#23 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thanks to all for your contributions to the thread so far.

I don't know what it is about the Banshee that keeps catching my eye (I am normally a heavy pilot and my only assault so far has been my battlemasters which were ok but I did not love). But your posts and others have inspired me to give the Banshee a try.

I am sure I will be back with other posts on what am I doing wrong driving-wise in it later.

Cheers all.

#24 Main Man

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Banshee 3E is the most meta of the current mechs available. Assault mech w/ x3 AC5 and x2 PPC. It's brutal against anything slower than 100 kph.

#25 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

First off, I play with an 18 ping, so that is a factor.

Since the last patch I've only played two mechs, my trusty Yang, and my freshly purchased Banshee 3S.

My first two matches with this mech were rough. I struggled to find a good build to make it work. With phantom heat, you cant boat lasers, but at that tonnage, you have trouble spending the space. I lost my first two matches in the thing and was quickly hating it.

Then I found a load that worked. STD320, DHS, ES, 3xLL, 1XAC20.

The result:

Posted Image

If you are wondering at the 8 matches == 5 wins, 2 losses... you can tie, and when you tie, you get 0!! XP. Seriously, wtf?

Anyways... the secret to this mech is the durability. It can take more hits than any other mechs in the game, by a fair margin. The biggest negative, at least with the 3s, is the torso-ness. Only one weapon is arm mounted, the rest are all torso, can make for a bit of a nightmare at times.

Edited by Serapth, 25 March 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#26 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

I've been thinking about getting a Banshee. It seems like I'll have to invest in a few engines to get the most out of its chassis. I'd fit the 3M or 3E with at least a 380-rated engine. I'm used to Banshees going 64 kph on tabletop, and would like to do the same in MWO. Speed is life, after all.

If I went with the 3S, I would try it with the 285 standard engine to start with. With that engine and max armor, it has just one less ton for weapons and equipment than an Atlas with a 300 standard engine and max armor. If I wanted to pretend I had a Banshee 5S (which doesn't come out until after 3050 and has a XL380), I'd go with an XL340 (that way it would easily slot into my BattleMaster; yes I know I can go up to a 345 but I challenge myself by sticking to tabletop 'mech construction rules).

#27 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

id caution against going that slow on the 3s, its painfully slow while leveling it even with a 300, and ive had many games, although this was at the peak of the mini lurmageddon, where i just get to the group only to be pummeled to death by missiles for under 100 damage dealt.

the other thing with the S is that 8 of its 10 hardpoints are energy, so its not really an issue of having tonnage for weapons but more for having the heat capacity to use them. a bank of 6 mlas to support 2x ppc/ac20s is actually very very hot and anything bigger is just more heat.

one of my more successful builds has been 2 large pulse and 6 small lasers with an ac20 or my fill all the hardpoints build, alrm15, ac20, 8mlas (fired in 2 groups, one of them is all from the same location so its super accurate).

as far as engines ive used a 300, 325 and 350 std and 350 + 380 XL for experimentation. almost tempted to pick up a xl400 for the 3M but the builds ive been using lately like the 380.

Edited by Fuggles, 30 March 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#28 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

I'd take the hardpoints of the Banshee 3S over the hardpoints of any Atlas. I make use of bracket fire in a lot of my 'mech builds, so that many beam hardpoints isn't an issue for me. Pile on the lasers :ph34r:

Still debating which Banshee model to start with. Hard for me to find time to make c-bills these days!

If they had physical attacks implemented, then any Banshee would be great. Nothing like a fast 95-ton punching and kicking machine!

#29 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I run 2ERPPC and 3 AC5s on the E and it's great

Here is my 3M, yeah, it's hot but with the speed and number of DHS it actually isn't that much of a factor except on hot maps. Tempted to drop the 4 Mls to 2 MPL for a little better heat but for now I'm just using all the hard points until I get rid of the "new smell".

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3dcc9fbebf832a3

My problem is the S, I want to brawl with it but just can't seem to make it work.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...430de885d81dcfa

I've been thinking of dropping the engine to a 330 and swapping out all the medium lasers for Large, something like this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90de7e913fc8490

#30 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

They'll Die Screaming;

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...332b833a42e6bb7[/smurfy]

#31 Sancho Kabrinski

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 64 posts
  • LocationIn a Ghost Bear Clan dropship

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Go Banshee, you wont be disapointed. Every chasis have a diferent options. I have bought my banshee's chassis a week ago and I am enjoying 'em a lot, all 3 of them. Put a std engine and raise hell.

#32 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 24 March 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

I've played in Atlas's and played against Banshees.

The Banshee seems good, though more of a mixed bag vs. the Atlas. All the Atlas variants are similar and are well balanced, for better or for worse. Regardless of the Atlas, you have some idea what to expect when facing them.

Banshees are strange. Their variants are rather different from each other. The 3E is basically a slower, vastly up-armored Jagermech with solid energy backup. The 3S is sort of like an Atlas with a bit less ballistics and missiles, but more energy... it still falls into the role of a mixed-use build. And the 3M is... um.... an all-energy assault mech of... well, limited use from what I've seen. I'm not really sure of anything that can be done with it since have a billion energy hardpoints and nothing else just makes you overheat nicely.

Other than that, they seem to tank damage well enough, but have almost entirely torso weapons, so tracking fast targets is harder. They can mount huge engines, but at the cost of weapons, though they often have excess weapon slots. They don't have quite the recognition and battlefield presence of an Atlas since they do not have as unique a shape at range, but they will still draw fire as all assaults do. If you can handle a Stalker or Jager - mechs that have great firepower but somewhat poor mobility, - you can handle a Banshee, IMHO.

It's less than ideal, but with that many Energy hardpoints and that much tonnage you're best bet is probably to cover long & short range with your set up.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...529e9a4d52b4300

According to the heat simulator you could actually alpha all of those weapons 2x in a row.

I'm not sure I'd want to play it, but I'm sure you'll have your share of fun moments.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 03 April 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#33 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm not having any issues with the Banshee.

The BNC-3s has a great weapons package good speed for a assault.
2 ER Large
LBX 10 30 shots
LRM 10 with 1 ton of ammo
AMS
6 Medium lasers

All the Banshee work well. However its a fixer up mech so I put it to a mid to advanced skill range.

#34 Pyro Pete Sanchez

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

I typically stay away from assault 'mechs, but I couldn't resist trying this out. It actually works pretty well, but positioning is key. It's helpful if you've got a buddy assault to back you up and make up for the lack of arm weapons. I put the weapons in in the order I added them in the mechlab (bottom = 1st, top = last). This gives the large lasers and the UAC the spots in mid-shoulder, and doesn't give you an unsightly hump. Bind the MGs and SPL together for that sweet, sweet component destruction.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79b7827eed88b76

edited for Smurfy's link.

Edited by Pyro Pete Sanchez, 03 April 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#35 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

From someone who played only light assaults before (Victors, Awesomes and Stalkers)

- It's damn slow as a slug's ass. Practically a walking turret with a crap turning speed. Fall behind and you are dead, position yourself wrong and you are of no use. Position yourself correctly however and you unleash hell on the enemy.
- The 2PPC+3AC5 build uses a STD300, I don't know but for me a STD300 in that thing is just tooooo slooooow. It's so slow, you cant keep up with your team at all. I couldn't stand it for more than 1 match and changed it quickly.
- Arms shield good, XL can work, I'd say I lose a CT as fast as an side torso.
- My E uses XL with 2UAC5+2AC2+MLs and I like it
- My S uses a STD with a Gauss, 2LPLs and 5MLs, its much slower than my E but it plays fine because its a monster when it punches you.
- Plan ahead if you want Endo or not, because its gonna limit you on some buiilds, especially the S and M. Works fine on the E because AC5s are heat-friendly.
- Keep in mind the S is limited to 345 engines, its meant to be slow

Overall I perform better in my other assaults but my banshees are still at basic skill level, not even elite or something so I have to see in some days.

Edited by TexAss, 04 April 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#36 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

View PostKatotonic, on 23 March 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

So to summarise the listing of people's posts:

It looks like the general consensus is the Banshee is a solid mech overall with the 3E really standing out?

Also people seem to be saying that XLs work well dmg and hit-box wise but will limit your weapon choice (at least on the 3E).

This means the average role will be a slower but heavy hitting brawler/direct fire support? Similar in play style to an Atlas and NOT as much like a more mobile assault like a Victor? (This disappoints me a bit as I could see giving up a ballistic spot, on the 3E, and running a XL380 or so and running with the slower mediums and heavies but with a LOT more tanking power. Has anyone tried this and had success that makes it more worthwhile than bringing up the rear with the Atlai?)

Since there are no healers in this game tanking is....fail.
You can take damage .... thats right, lots of dmg but you shouldn't.
You cant make the banshee fast. I tryed an 400 XL Banshee with AC10 and PPCs but its just a waste of money. You are still much slower than the meds and considerably slower than heavys. You are so large and bulky the additional speed won't realy help you in a dogfight. But using the additional speed and Heatsink uptake of the 400xl for carrying hot weapons did work to some degree. So a 3 M with dual ER PPCs and med lasers or quad ER Lasers and lots of heatsinks might work decently.
Trying to.....brawl ( allways a stupid thing in this game in my opinion you are hindering team mates to fire on targets, you get friendly lrm and you are mostlikely exposed to lrm fire from enemys )..... in an Assault it is just a terrible idea. Banshee is terribad at it because of its lacking arm weapons.
You can get in to medium distances 200 to 350 meters cause you have a large lateral torso twist range. More than the Battlemaster.

Edited by The Basilisk, 04 April 2014 - 01:18 AM.

#37 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

I have come to love my Banshees over every other mech for my play style. I admit to not being a very good pilot so the huge amount of damage they can take and deal along with surprising maneuverability with the larger engines works well. I've mastered the three non-hero variants and the extra bonuses made a big difference in play.

I started off loving the DAKKA BNC-3M with 3x AC2 and 1x UAC5 and been playing with different energy loadouts. I like ER LLs for longer range heavy sniping and had two before but recently changed to 4x ML so I could upgrade my engine to a 375XL doing 70.3 KPH for more speed and faster turning BNC-3E but then went back down to a 350XL to mix in a PPC and 3x ML BNC-3E. I'm adjusting to the mix but am hardly ever doing less than 400 damage a match.

I played the BNC-3S Pulse Tank hard for a while with 2x ERLL and 6x MPLs and an LBX-10 chain firing the MPLs for nearly constant fire, slowing down when the heat started to max with 9 DHS. This was a fun mech but slower with the 335XL with a 58 damage Alpha - BAM! Overall this was the least effective of the three variants for me.

The BNC-3M Laser Boat has become my favorite tinkering with various energy boat loads. I started with BNC-3M PPC Boat 2x ERPPC 4x PPCs and 350XL chain firing which I have to say was incredibly fun but not hugely effective for me as I'm not a great shot with PPCs and once they got within 90m I was screwed especially with lights and mediums. I played around [color=#000000]until I put in a[/color] 400XL, 4x ERLL, 2x MPL, 2x ML and 11 DHS. This is my favorite build of all, it's FAST for a 95 ton assault at 75KPH, torso twist is so reactive and like 150 degree radius.

Posted Image

Edited by Jorunn, 27 August 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#38 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:37 AM

Banshee what else?

Good old Starleague manufacturing, its solid, can Dakka and is one of the best (MWO) Mechs in my opinion and playstyle. Combined with a good Mechpilot, absolutely deadly.

Edited by nonnex, 27 August 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#39 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

I enjoy my Banshees. They didn't become my favorite mechs, but they pack a wallop second only to the Dire Wolf.

#40 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

As far as XLs on the Banshee go: THIS article should cover it well for you.

XL 400 is actually viable on it. Making it one of only 2 mechs that can use it well (the other being the BLR-1S SRM brawler)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users