• 4,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

courage is OP.

#22 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

I used to be a fearless Brawler but then I took an SSRM nerf in the knee.

PGI has only themselves to blame for the current long range dominance.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 March 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#23 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:49 AM

View PostTexAss, on 24 March 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

I'm one of those AC20/SRM In-your-face brawlers and only pugging. And sometimes I'm able to make my team follow my orders and when I do we usually win.
Why?
Because its damn easy. If you are with your team and you got 6-7 following you and you run into an group of enemy mechs, just go out and see how many are there, it won't kill you, if they are less than you (say 3 or 4), RUN OUT AND KILL EM. Close the distance, get really close and finish them.
Advantage in numbers is the only thing that counts in this game. You always will win with a bigger group.

If they are more than you, back off, dont stand there, but back off into the distance. If they are 9 and you are only 6, back off and search with your other 6 teammates the other 3 from their team and kill those, then get back at the 9 with your 11-12 man.

You just need one guy that know this tactic and if everybody listens you will always win. And its damn fun since you can even win with only brawler builds and have a ton of fun brawling it out.

but in PUGs it usually doesnt work, either becuase people are not listening or they are too afraid to go out even if its a sure win. They often just puss out.

Banzai brother!
Nothing beats sheer animal ferocity used with intelligence.
It has been my experience over my 2k games, that teams that simper and cower tend to lose. It is a simple, flat FACT. You huddle up and cower behind cover, the vast majority of the time you WILL get flanked, surrounded and executed.

#24 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostSandpit, on 22 March 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

Don't agree with everything you said but good post. The thing is, there's plenty of players that buck the "meta" and do very well at it. Myself and plenty of others I team up with don't play that style of match or run those weapons.

If you want a meta changed, then just take mechs and loadouts that don't adhere to the current meta. I love my lasers. I can boat them on just about any mech and do well with them.

One thing that gets overlooked a lot of times is the fact that you have to rely on a minimum of 8 random players to determine how well your team does. That means you can't control your w/l record based purely on skill or tactics or builds. I have literally had games where I personally killed 4 mechs, the rest of my premade took out another 5. That means the four of us took out 9 mechs. We lost
How do you counter that? How do you counter an entire lance that does less than 100 damage? How do you prepare for 1-2 players discoing at the beginning of a match to "protest" a map they don't like?
How do you counter 2-3 players just going full Rambo and dying in the first 45 seconds of the game?

You can't. Individual skill isn't enough in a team based game where you're required to rely on strangers for the majority of your team.
You expect it to happen, put on your Big Boy pants TM And play the game the best you can, and be happy with Your own contributions.

:)
At least that is how I do it.

#25 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

I think "brawling" would be more attractive if SRMs would work better than they do now. The SRM6 is sometimes awesome, sometimes "meh", depending on whether or not it registers.

The problem with brawling is closing the distance between you and the enemy. In a turn base game that is a lot easier, but in a FPS or RTS you need speed or you get cut down. That's why my only real brawler is my Yen-Lo-Wang and I love the hell out of that sucker. It is totally fun to pop out from behind a wall to say "I love your paint job" with an AC20 and 2xML.

I think the whole "revive brawling" movement is just an expression of boredom with the meta and frustration at the fact that MWO is more sim that some people want (e.g. human nature and modern warfare tactics). Yup, if I were really in a big mech with all those weapons I would be thinking about stuff like repair/rearm, living to fight another day, using the most effective weapons possible, etc. So yes, I would be taking care to do more damage than I took and making my rewards vs. my risk as high as possible in the safest manner possible. I guess people get caught up in this and forget that MWO is a game and not RL and we can actually have fun with a brawl or two without any real concequences.

Maybe if HSR gets fixed and SRMs become consistent we might see some more brawling, but probably not. The only thing left to do is use private matches to get your "brawlers fix". The Foxes gets a coupple of 12 Mans together for "duels" which is damned fun; Sync-drop in the 12 man que, pick your dueling partner from the other team, duke it out, and after the duels are done the survivers get to duke it out. This kind of thing will be easier to do when private matches are here.

#26 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

I kinda agree Magna, To me(my discliamer), 2-3 SRM6 should be on par with an AC20 in over all damage, without the pin point.

#27 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 March 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I kinda agree Magna, To me(my discliamer), 2-3 SRM6 should be on par with an AC20 in over all damage, without the pin point.

No, it shouldn't.

#28 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Okay, so we know the problem is people are not willing to get face to face as a general rule because the risk of being killed, thanks often to high nerf/low effect weapons like the SRM and well... a lack of confidence in their gameplay and comfort in the long range. So, barring yet more weapons/hitbox/whatever nerf, what can be done to ENCOURAGE the risk?

View PostArmandTulsen, on 24 March 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

No, it shouldn't.

12-18 SRMs do 24-36 possible damage. Even with spread, you should get a lot of that instead of a pitiful small fraction.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users