#41 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

View Postwanderer, on 23 March 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

We killed things twice as fast when we got into something with a decent rack of ballistic hardpoints.

What can I say ... if they are redacted enough to give ACs 0.5-1.5 secs recylce time...
Its broken as is, breaking LRMs to compensate it isn't the way to solve the issue.

LRMs were a weapon that failed at hitting things outside of 500m or so most of the time.

As it should.

I was drilling people dead in a Cataphract-4X at 750m fast enough that I might have had a third LRM salvo in the air to paint someone's armor a pretty yellow instead. And that hasn't changed one bit. The difference is suddenly, people can actually support each other outside of LOS. And that drives tunnel-vision players nuts.

If you are drilling someone dead from 750m it means he stands in the open like a m0r0n. Doesn't matter if you shoot him with ACs or LRMs, he'll be dead soon enough. Ballistics just have higher DPS, thus you shred idiots faster. Only thing LRMs do now is completely kill brawling. Jumpsnipers do the same thing they always did, but what little brawlers we had before are gone now.

Basic rule of thumb- you have five seconds from seeing someone spot you to "get your ass into cover". Followng that rule, I've been killed a grand total of ONCE by LRM fire. In a 'Mech that goes 71kph. With no ECM or AMS.

You know this is BS. LRMs follow you around buildings and especially low hills due to target decay very well. In order to avoid LRM fire now you have to start going under cover even before you came out of cover to begin with.

What is the point of this game? Determine whichever team is hiding better and have more LRMs?

#42 Lavrenti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

Just replying to a random "LRMs are op nerf naow!!1!" thread: the forum is full of them, so I figure it doesn't matter much which I choose...

In this forum, bad players complain because they can now no longer ignore an entire category of weapons. Honestly, this is pathetic. AC10s and PPC do damage far faster and far more reliably than an LRM10, with longer effective ranges. Now if some random hopeful punter with a LRM10 rack takes a shot at you, you might actually get hurt - just like if they flung an AC10 or PPC shot at you, except the LRM10 is still less effective because it spreads out it's damage. But the LRM is the thing that needs a nerf? QQ moar, b!tches.
Anything that protects you from direct fire also protects you from LRMs, along with a whole lot of other things that specifically act against LRMs. No other weapon gives you a warning several seconds before impact, giving you time to do something about it. Take advantage of all the ways to counter LRMs and get on with the game, or at least stop whining simply because LRMs are now not a complete waste of time and tonnage.

PGI has done some fcuked-up, r3tarded sh!t in this game, and they've made some bizarrely stupid balancing decisions, but this is not one of them. I'll be honest, I think it was actually quite smart. This patch has been the first time I can remember since CB when LRMs have actually been worth taking in non-boat quantities. If you've got a few tons and a missile hardpoint spare it is now worth thinking about adding a small launcher. You now have to actually think about whether to put on an AMS or not, pay a bit more attention to cover and positioning, and work with the rest of your team. And anything that increases the payoff for thinking about how you're going to approach the game is at least worth a try, in my opinion.

This isn't the game I got excited about back in CB. It isn't even the game that wasn't ready for release at the end of OB; and it sure as hell isn't the game I wanted it to be. But this is finally a tiny step in the right direction. Don't **** it up for the rest of us.

#43 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

View PostPsikez, on 23 March 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

Paul doesn't understand what small increments are
Have you been paying attention to the LBX buffs (prior to them getting crit damage bonuses) :)?

#44 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

View PostPeekaboo I C JU, on 23 March 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

I would personally bet that the majority of the people complaining have gotten lazy due to their previous ability to stand right out in the open without fear of any kind, then snipe people with ppc's/ac's that land nearly instantaneously....

Not sure if it is my elo, but when I stand free in the open I get shot with PPCs and Gauss and all sorts of ACs.

The only difference to pre patch is that, while I get shot with PPCs and Gauss and all sorts of ACs, on top of that I get a "missiles incoming" warning.

But even that speed buff can't make them fast enough to get a kill assist, so fast I go down with direct fire weapons.

Edited by 627, 24 March 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#45 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

Move in increments of 5 seconds instead of such a bold move as you suggested.

#46 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

If you are drilling someone dead from 750m it means he stands in the open like a m0r0n. Doesn't matter if you shoot him with ACs or LRMs, he'll be dead soon enough. Ballistics just have higher DPS, thus you shred idiots faster. Only thing LRMs do now is completely kill brawling. Jumpsnipers do the same thing they always did, but what little brawlers we had before are gone now.

What killed brawling is zero effective brawling weapons. I bounce around in a 4x6 SRM Griffin on occasion. When SRMs work, I break things in half. Thanks to utterly deficient hit registration, instead of breaking things in half, half the time nothing happens. LRMs just got un-broken, so hey, cry more about that or demand they fix brawling weapons as well. I'd say the latter is more productive.

You know this is BS. LRMs follow you around buildings and especially low hills due to target decay very well. In order to avoid LRM fire now you have to start going under cover even before you came out of cover to begin with.

What is the point of this game? Determine whichever team is hiding better and have more LRMs?

Actually, it's not BS. I played in the tournament all weekend. I was one of the top 25 in my faction.

Posted Image

I died a grand total of once to LRM fire. I had competent players gleefully managing to pop in and out of cover and fire constantly. I also had plenty of crying targets that failed to understand how to use said cover, such as yourself.

When I have you targeted, you pop up as a red square (lockable) as soon as I have LOS and my lockon begis when sighting on you. When I see you go to ground, I do what any sniper would as well- I wait to see if you were dumb enough to come back up at the same spot, which happens far more often than it should.

You've literally put yourself into my lockon sequence before I even could react to you showing up on my screen when that happens. Fwoosh fwoosh boom. The ones that do a pop-up right go into cover, move a significant distance behind it, THEN come out to shoot. If all you do is forward-and-reverse, I'm just waiting for you to walk into my sights again and I WILL have fast enough lock to get a shot into your face, especially going up a hill. If I have to resight, you're getting off a shot, covering, and moving again before I get a long-enough lock to hit even with decay. It's 3.5 seconds. If you're out for 5, I have about .5 seconds to sight and get lock to have a clean shot over 400m, and the only easy shots like that are when I guess right about which piece of cover you're showing up next behind. If I'm under 400m, you should be charging me and eating off my face inside my LRM deadzone unless I've got someone else covering me in turn.

And I had PLENTY of matches where I got mashed to bits at brawling range. When we had a few 100 tubes firing. Because frankly, those players weren't "good at hiding"- they were good at moving.

Hiders are pinned targets. Pinned opponents are then shredded by the rest of the team. The people I fear are the ones I keep seeing pop in and out of my sensors, going to one side or another. That's intelligent people who understand what I can do and can't do, and those are the ones I find up my nose with an AC/20.

You could learn from them if the sound of your own squealing didn't drown things out.

#47 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

View Posttechnopredator, on 24 March 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

I play as a STK-3H missile boat and YES I think LRMS are overpowered, they were fine, 120 m/s was simply fine, and take into account missiles don't accelerate from 0 as real missiles will do, they launch at 120 m/s, but they do get accelerated by gravity on their descent , so making missiles 175 m/s wasn't a solution, was overpowering the already overpowered LRMS, so make it fair, get it back to 120 m/s and give them acceleration from launch, LRMS are way powerful to need any boost, the boost made it unbalanced, even with AMS boost, or at least make them 140 m/s tops, give people time to move around to try to dodge them.

How people can call LRMs overpowered is something I'll never understand.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users