- - - - -

Game Controler

19 replies to this topic

#1 Ingvar Bloodwolf

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Is it possible to use a joystick/throtle controler on MWO? I have a Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Yes, you can use a joystick. The most popular setup is joystick for the legs (turning and throttle) + mouse for the arms and torso (looking around and aiming).

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

I've got that. I use the throttle control side of it combined with a mouse.

I found the joystick side of the Thrustmaster Hotas X to be a bit difficult to use due to the kind of joystick it is (a first-order stick -- the Thrustmaster manipulates analog through velocity, better for flying) which is difficult to use for targeting.

Posted Image

I detached the joystick and have it sit under the table unless I get into a jet on BF3/4.

The throttle side is fantastic with almost enough buttons to run the game. I use the analog finger keys on the throttle (bottom left image) to steer. Jump, next target, armlock and Override are under the thumb. Center Legs to Torso and Manual Power on/off are under the fingers. I also use the thumbstick of the joystick, which queues Airstrike (upper left), Artillery (upper right), UAV (Up), Night Vision (bottom left) and Thermal (Bottom right) with MAG vision reserved for (Down) when released...if it ever gets released.

Occasionally I use a cheap wired PS3 controller from Walmart. Its joysticks are zero-order and incredibly accurate. (Manipulates position not speed, better for aiming). Covers all the buttons nicely.

Joystick types here.

Edited by Koniving, 24 March 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Huh, I'll have to try a PS3 controler one of these days. Can you get me any more deets on how you're configuring that PS3 controller?

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 24 March 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Huh, I'll have to try a PS3 controler one of these days. Can you get me any more deets on how you're configuring that PS3 controller?

Seconding this!

View PostKoniving, on 24 March 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Occasionally I use a cheap wired PS3 controller from Walmart. Its joysticks are zero-order and incredibly accurate. (Manipulates position not speed, better for aiming). Covers all the buttons nicely.

I had no idea the PS3 controllers were zero-order.....?!
(on the other hand, there is absolutely no reason I would know either as I play most games that would benefit from that on PC rather than console :))

Edited by Shar Wolf, 24 March 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 March 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

I had no idea the PS3 controllers were zero-order.....?!
(on the other hand, there is absolutely no reason I would know either as I play most games that would benefit from that on PC rather than console :))

I discovered it so to speak. I was jaw-dropped and baffled at how amazingly precise it is. And it's like, "this is the cheap 20 dollar one from wally-world." The same cheap one that I cant' use for PS3 games that need the shake and tilt functions of the PS3 controller because the cheap knockoffs don't have it.

#7 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Personally, I use twin Joysticks.

A Saitek Cyborg EVO and a PC-Line Tournament Pro.

Reason for this was initially, the PC-Line was £5 inc. postage, but still a relatively solid stick (albeit only 2 buttons and X/Y axis + throttle), while a cheap throttle was £25+.

But I've been loving it.
Throttle is keyed to the left stick (PC-Line), as are jump jets and my secondary/backup weapon grouping
Turning is L/R on the Cyborg, and torso controls are F/B and twist, with the 20 buttons keyed to various functions.

Initially trickier, after about a month or two playing it I was fairly comfortable with the setup, and now I'm nearly as good as I would be with a mouse, but it's far more fun to use.

Edited by Ovion, 24 March 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#8 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

If you want to have a shot at lore-accurate controls, you could get a pedal controller (preferably the flight sim kind and not the racing kind) and somehow set it up to control turning, with the joystick controlling the torso/arms and the throttle for movement. I'd imagine aiming with a joystick would take a lot of practice to get as accurate as with the mouse. Seems a bit backwards to me, using a joystick on a shooter. Who does that anyway? Oh yeah, console players...still, I guess it adds to the immersion. You're not going to have a mouse in a cockpit that's rockin' and rollin' around. :)

Also I don't think you can depress both pedals simultaneously on a flight sim pedal controller, which is how you're supposed to activate jump jets. But even if you could, you couldn't turn midair using that system.

#9 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

i use ps3 controller via "better ds3", emulates xbox controller.

Edited by Turist0AT, 25 March 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 25 March 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

i use ps3 controller via "better ds3", emulates xbox controller.

HERESY! :D

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 24 March 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

I just hook it up and that's it.
Beyond that...
Left stick legs. Right stick torso.
Push in left stick, Center legs to Torso.
Push in right stick, zoom.
R1, fire group 1.
R2, fire group 2.
L1, arm lock.
L2, fire group 3.
X, jumpjets.
Circle, Override.
Triangle, Target.
Square, fire group 4 (tends to be LRMs in a heavily mixed mech so doesn't need my thumb).
Start, Power.

Control Pad
Left, night vision.
Right, thermal.
Up, airstrike.
Down, artillery.

Anything else is used far too rarely and can be found on the keyboard.

Oh Select, advanced zoom.

It's the cheap 20 to 30 dollar ones. "SnakeByte" is the brand name on mine. I chose it because I'm 6'5" and my hands are big. It's also a little easier on my not so flexible smaller fingers. Normal PS-style controllers and Xbox ones are not very suited for my hands.

Edited by Koniving, 25 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Huh. I've never had a game pick up a PS3 controller unless I was using a 3rd party tool.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Always got to put the controller in first for one. Don't start the game before you put it in. Then check it in the joysticks section of the control panel.

For two, it's got to be a corded controller not a wireless controller with a cord. PCs don't want to pick up "charger cord" PS 3 controllers because they think it's something else. If it's not the cheap corded PS3 controllers, it won't work.

Edited by Koniving, 25 March 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 25 March 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

For two, it's got to be a corded controller not a wireless controller with a cord. PCs don't want to pick up "charger cord" PS 3 controllers because they think it's something else.

Yeah... just realized I only have two.... and they are both the wireless dualshock3s.
Occurred to me that I do not recall having even seen either a corded or 3rd party ps3 controller at Walmart... :lol:
I don't doubt that they are out there - just realizing my local Walmart doesn't have any.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 March 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Occurred to me that I do not recall having even seen either a corded or 3rd party ps3 controller at Walmart... :huh:

They look like this.
Posted Image

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

They look like this.

Now I know for sure I haven't seen one. (or at least - not that one!)

I looked too - with the price of the brand-name ones, I went digging!

Edited by Shar Wolf, 25 March 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#17 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

I need to try out my own PS3 controller as a game controller then, maybe I'd learn some new things in the game. :P I'll try to see how it'd work out during Spring Break. :huh:

#18 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,631 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

I wish to hell i could use my Extreme 3D Pro. Haven't found a way to get it work right on this game. Can anyone give me some help with this?

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostHawk819, on 25 March 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

I wish to hell i could use my Extreme 3D Pro. Haven't found a way to get it work right on this game. Can anyone give me some help with this?

It'd be easier to get help with specific peripherals here. There's regulars there, too, who also help people out.

#20 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 March 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

HERESY! :)

Yeah i know, dont even own a ps3, but controller is for the phone originally and cord to 360 controller broke, so i cant use that one. Use what i can :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users