Patterns Scam

31 replies to this topic

#1 Catmobile

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

hello

im new to MWO although ive been playing mechwarrior since i was a kid, my dad bought me "Mechwarrior 2 The Titanium Trilogy" and ive been a fan since that, waiting for a new Mechwarrior game to be released, when i first read of MWO i had to try it and ive been playing for a month or maybe less. i also have tried lots of MMO and i know how they work and how every single game it has credits stuff (real money)

i decided to buy credits, to get me pattern designs and some colors too (by that moment i just had 1 mech) bought 2 patterns, the unlockable versions, one week later after grinding for hours a day as im sure most of the commuty does i managed to get my second mech, of course i wanted to customize it, and wanted to use the patterns i recently acquired, and i find out they are just for the mech i buy them on!

WTF!!!

colours are incredibly expensive so are patterns! and when i found out i could only use patterns on 1 mech i was out of my mind, its so stupid and i wouldnt recommend anyone to start playing this game, i feel scammed...

take for example other new games with customizable stuff u can buy, they sell you color palettes for a reasonable price, wich are applied to all your characters, they have plenty of palettes,

thing is when u buy something in a game and it says "unlockable" it should be for all your characters, who would buy patterns for all your mechs, and if its that way at least put a warning or you are simply scamming people, 20 dollars for a couple of colours and 2 patterns? better put a gun to my head

so if you want people to keep playing your game and telling them to other people to come here and play and spend their money at least give them something to keep playing the game, such as content, not 10 maps and almost the same type of matchs with expensive customizable stuff.

(if my english is bad i dont care its not my native laguage)

#2 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

I agree 100 %. It is the same reason I haven't bought any patterns or colors. If the prices were tens of MCs, I might buy something little every now and then but now, I'll rather buy premium time with any MC and perhaps an occasional hero mech when the game feels right (I got 1 so far :lol:.

#3 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Boohoo, in my completely free to play CryEngine 3 Mechwarrior Game the patterns cost me money!

@Devs: Why don't you stop needing money and start giving us moar free stuff?

WTF!!!

#4 Catmobile

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

http://warframe.wiki...icker_Extension

there are the colour palettes i was talking about, 75 credits each wich are about 5 dollars, go check yourself if you want at their site, easier to apply cheaper to get

not saying you should go and copy paste everthing out there, just saying your game is unusually expensive

Edited by Catmobile, 25 March 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#5 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

You might send a ticket to support, mentioning what you've said here. PGI tends to ignore their forums.

#6 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Patterns are a bad part of the game. Colours are expensive too but at least they work as you'd expect.

You can one-shot patterns for a tenth of the cost. The very fact that the unlockable costs 10 times more implies that it would unlock for all mechs, rather than 1 type. I got caught out by this too (fortunately only unlocking 1 pattern for my 3 centurions).

You'll probably never have more than 4 variants of any mech, so it's always best to one-shot, meaning the unlockable ones are basically a trap.

#7 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Cat, you did buy patterns for multiple mechs, but ALL for that Chassis.

Send them a ticket, let them know you blew it.

500 MC for a pattern for all varients in a chassis is still over priced. Its more than each variant in a chassis class, if you bought them all, and then purchased patterns individually.

Posted Image

Edited by Technoviking, 25 March 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#8 Catmobile

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

already send a letter to support
oh and "just" bought 2 patterns

Hello Catmobile,

Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated! However to better reach the developers with your ideas and suggestions, please post here:http://mwomercs.com/...al-discussions/ - please choose the appropriate sub-section.
Please be aware that even though the devs do read the forums and especially the suggestions one, they rarely reply to any thread so they can concentrate on actually building the game. Also, the community representatives read all forum posts and compile then send to the devs the most relevant and constructive feedback on a weekly basis.
As one can imagine, if the devs start responding to everything, it would become a never-ending back and forth, and game development itself would suffer because of this.

Regards,
FullMetalGC
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

Edited by Catmobile, 25 March 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

The single-use patterns are more for those who only buy when they're absolutely sure they like that particular pattern and want to keep it.

Then unlock patterns are more for those who like to change patterns often. I know I've changed patterns on most of my 'Mechs more than 10 times.

#10 Catmobile

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

single use patterns are what they say, not arguing with that, but when youre new to the game and you only have 1 mech and you read "ulockable pattern" you obviously thinks it will be applied for all the mechs youll get in the future,

i did buy unlockable because im just like you, i like to change the way my mech looks even if i wont get to see it as i dont think 3rd person view should be the way you command your mech.

#11 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 25 March 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Cat, you did buy patterns for multiple mechs, but ALL for that Chassis.

Send them a ticket, let them know you blew it.

500 MC for a pattern for all varients in a chassis is still over priced. Its more than each variant in a chassis class, if you bought them all, and then purchased patterns individually.

Isn't 500 MC like $2?

#12 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostDavers, on 25 March 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

Isn't 500 MC like $2?

Possibly but thats subjective I beleive because it gets cheaper the higher ammount of MC you buy which basicly means that it could be cheaper then that aswell in technical term so its subjective.

#13 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

The real issue is that people don't know what they are getting. Personally, I buy colours and patterns because I like them and I like my mechs to be pretty. But it DOES say 'unlock' - and so people assume it does it for all mechs. What is expensive/cheap/reasonable price is completely subjective so you can not assume that people won't think it works for all mechs. It needs to be very clear in game [because of people who don't speak English well, so very plain English] that it only works for the one mech. Renaming the patterns [eg.] 'cataphract phranken' even should do it. You see these threads way too often. If you don't make it clear to people what they're purchasing, they are going to make assumptions, then be angry that their assumption was incorrect, then make these threads.

Does it actually warn you that it is only for that mech? I haven't actually purchased a pattern since UI2.0 so it might give a pop up box or something. If it does, then people need to pay more attention.

#14 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

As much as I'd like to customize my stuff, I cannot rationalize the price of colour in this game. It is really weird how much money PGI charges for colour.

Also, I had no idea that colours didn't unlock for every single 'Mech. I'm onboard with PGI on a lot of their decisions, but 500 MC for one colour on one 'Mech is repulsive.

#15 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

I definitely agree they should change the camo pricing scheme, the color scheme at least is fair enough since you don't need to buy more than once. Planetside 2 did the right thing by making camo a buy once/use anywhere, MWO needs to take note.

#16 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

Sorry OP, you've just discovered why I only buy a single-use camo for mechs I really like, and then never change.

The colors you get ARE applicable to ALL your 'mechs though.

For what it's worth, if you buy the smallest, least $/MC efficient package of 1250 MC for $6.95, that puts each one-use camo (of the pricer 'special' camos like Franken for 125 MC) at around $0.70.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 26 March 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#17 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

They really need to be more clear. The fact that "One use" Camos disappear if you change it to something else needs to be clearly defined, "One use" to me means "One Mech".

#18 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, everything's too expensive, and camo's should be unlocked across all mechs.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 26 March 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

They really need to be more clear. The fact that "One use" Camos disappear if you change it to something else needs to be clearly defined, "One use" to me means "One Mech".

One use sounds a lot like consumable. You use it once. done.

#20 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

I avoided the 'one use' camo for a long time because I assumed it was for a single *battle*. The price seemed stupidly high, but so do most of the cosmetic prices. I had to read a forum post to have it explained to me that one use = one pattern change to one 'mech *forever* unless you change it ... and you can change the colors as often as you like.

Yeah, that totally does *not* come across in 'mech lab.

Same for the more costly patterns - when I bought my first one I assumed it would unlock for all my 'mechs (especially for the high price). Disappointed when it didn't, but learned from the experience.

And I find the reply from support that the devs read the forums laughable. You can easily see from the game development decisions they make that they don't, unless they get a 300 page hate thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users