14 replies to this topic

#1 etarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

There are a few threads out there on JM6-S weapons already, but in my (albeit brief) perusal, I didn't see any that addressed my specific questions, so here they are (by the way, I'm relatively new, and I don't fully understand all the pros-and-cons of the various systems yet):

I'm running a JM6-S with stock weapons (2 AC-2's, 2 AC-5's and 2 ML's) and the Std 260 engine. This set-up doesn't seem particularly effective the way I play, because the AC-2's have almost twice the fire rate of the AC-5's, and I find I'm usually alternately firing the two groups, which doesn't take full advantage of the AC-2's speed. So, I think I either need all of the same type of AC, or I need to adjust the way I fire. The former seems more likely to be successful. Until I can afford an XL engine (and given the fragility of that system, I'm not entirely sure that's the way I want to go anyways), the most I can load up and still keep a decent set of armor and enough ammo is 3 AC-5's or 2 AC-10's. With 3 AC-5's, I could also load up a couple of additional ML's, which would improve closer-in engagement options, or add more armor (probably not both).

BTW, I also have endo-steel structure, but I haven't gone for ferro-fibrous armor, and I'm still on single heat-sinks, since the AC's don't generate a lot of heat.

TIA

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Some basic upgrades to the stock loadout, keeping the engine: 2xAC5+2xERLL, Gauss+ERPPC+3xML, Gauss+2xERLL, AC20+2xPPC, 2xAC5+PPC+3xML. Fire, turn to shield, fire, turn, etc. Only look at the target long enough to hit it reliably. Note that you will likely not have room for Ferro Fiber with an XL engine, so you may want to hold off on buying that. Take somewhat weaker/fewer energy weapons, and you will get very similar builds (FF saves relatively little weight).

Dual AC10 with decent laser backup, reasonable ammo, and AMS will not fit without an XL. Yes, you most likely want backup lasers, at least 2 MLs worth, and AMS on top. This is for basic survivability so that you can do something near the end of a match. 2 tons of ammo per gun is a minimum. You may want 3 or even more depending on the specific gun and playstyle. In my experience, 2 tons is just enough for an AC5, but not for an AC10/LB10-X, and certainly not for a Gauss or an AC20.

Edited by Modo44, 26 March 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

take a look at this page -> http://www.mechspecs...php?board=104.0
there are plenty of builds for any mech :)

Edited by Magos Titanicus, 26 March 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Even though ACs are relatively cool, you still want the DHS upgrade. With a 260 you may not even need to load additional heatsinks outside your engine depending on your build, but DHS is a big advantage is nearly every mech build.

XLs are obviously more fragile and that's a more difficult decision to make, therer are pros and cons either way. Most players choose offense over defense and take the XL but that's not the only way to to it.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

A random thought.

#6 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Based on your requirements I'd give this a shot.

There is enough ammo there for about a minute on full auto and if you dont use the lasers the double heat sinks should allow for that. I have purposely left one and a half tons open for you. AMS, more ammo, lasers, armor, DHS are all good options. I'd probably go with ammo and a small laser.

Depending on what you're shooting you may want to stagger the ACs so they are constantly being pummeled with shells. Makes it harder for them to aim but is not an effective defense against multiple enemies or some mechwarriors with really good focus.

Edited by Rouken, 26 March 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#7 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

2 uac5, 4 medium lasers.

#8 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I've personally found that I just don't like the AC/2. It has that high rate of fire, which is great, but it feels like a lot of heat for long range spit balls.

I don't have a non-XL Jager, so take my advice for that. But on my -DD I have two AC/10s and quad MGs. It's very effective, and the MGs are great for blowing off components and crit-killing mechs once the match is underway. I'd think that a non-XL version could work on the -S, by stripping off the two MGs and the AMS that I carry to make up for the weight of the engine. on my FIrebrand, I have twin AC/5s and twin large lasers. The twin AC/5s are absolutely brutal. I chainfire them, and if you catch a slow mech in the open it'll rip them to shreds. The only problem I run into is ammo, if you aren't careful you can burn through it, and then you're stuck without a paddle, unless you trade some ammo for MLs. That's a hard call though, I've found that the MLs are really handy to have, but three tons of AC/5 ammo just isn't enough.

#9 etarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll digest this info, spend more time checking out the suggested variants, and maybe play around a bit with the various different loadouts.

#10 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,634 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Mine: 2 AC/5, 2 Large Lasers.

#11 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Co-sign with Buck on AC2s. Whenever I field an AC2 it is almost always paired with a higher caliber AC, mainly to be used as a "filler" weapon to provide a little bit of coverage while my bigger gun is reloading. There also exists an old tactic of "bluffing" with a small gun to make your enemy get close so you can plug them.

To the OP:

A lot of people have suggested AC5/large laser builds. This is one of my favorites to do, because those weapons have some good overlap in effective ranges. Often I prefer the UAC (ultra autocannon 5) over the AC5. It can be tricky to use. It is slightly heavier and takes up a little more space than the standard AC5, but it comes with a "double fire" option. Essentially, while the weapon is recharging, you have the option to take another shot.

The cost is that should you choose to exercise this option, there is a chance that the weapon will "jam," rendering it inoperable for a few seconds. I've read that even with the jamming in consideration, the UAC still does more DPS than the AC5. Knowing this, you should use good judgement with the double fire. If it's a big battle and the Atlas on my team is the one taking most of the fire, I will likely hold down the trigger like rambo. In a smaller fight, I'll wait the full cooldown before firing again (the gun doesn't jam if you let it cool down all the way, making it almost functionally identical the an AC5). If I see a heavily damaged torso, I may take the risks of the double fire and to try to take that enemy out quickly.

The issue with the AC5/LL builds is that you may not have a lot of room left for ammo running that STD260. Using medium lasers instead is a good idea, though you will have to get in a bit closer to be fully effective. If you're comfortable with the closer up fighting, you may want to just commit to that fully by dual-wielding AC10s, backed up by medium lasers and/or machine guns. Since you're running a standard, you'll have a bit more survivability too for being close to the front line. But, once again, you may find yourself low on ammo if you're not careful (missing with an AC10/20 is very costly).

My advice (besides getting double heat sink ASAP), is to get your hands on a 280XL. I got mine with my first mech, the (very expensive and awesome) Cataphract-3D. It's one of my most "swapped around" engines.

*edit: punctuation

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 26 March 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#12 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

A Jager can't properly handle both AC-2 and AC-5 without an XL, especially not with single heatsinks.

If you are broke I would recommend running 2x AC-5 + 2x mlas or 4x slas until you upgrade your heat system.

#13 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

Something I ran for a spell was a 3x AC/5 2x ML build. I'd recommend staying with that with the stock engine. And getting Double Heat Sinks will be a good idea anyway due to the benefit they provide with the stock 260 engine and it's ten stock sinks.

One down side is needing to mount Ferro along with Endo, limiting other build options, if you end up wanting to try certain variations that need crit slots for XL engines and so on, but it's still a solid enough build to stick with.

And if you want to add an AMS you could shave armor off of your right arm (and instead some from your legs if you dare) to fit in the 0.5 ton AMS and swap one ton of AC5 ammo out too, like so.

Eventually you would want to pick up the Advanced Zoom module for 4x range, it can be very helpful regardless of the weapons you will be mounting.

#14 etarm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Praetor (and everyone else), that's sort of what I was thinking with the triple AC-5's. One thing that everyone seems to recommend, which I haven't done yet is maxing armor (or almost so) and double heat-sinks, so I think those are my highest priorities. I've increased the armor quite a bit, but I'm still 10 pts shy of max in most areas. Cheers!

Edited by etarm, 27 March 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#15 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I really like my 3xAC5 build, though its a bit on the slow side (you're just stay near the assault mechs anyway) it at least has enough ammo to last the entire match, the benefit is that you can put all three in a group in chain fire which will fire each one at exactly 1/3rd the fire rate, so one shoots every 0.5 seconds for as long as you want :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d50127a3add44d3

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 28 March 2014 - 10:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users