#1 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Just about to finish off my Phoenix 'Mechs and kind of got myself in a corner where to go next thanks to vague 'Mech choices in the past.

I have the following as the only representative of their respective chassis, in most cases I was simply not a fan yet I'm loathe sell 'Mechs.

Spider 5D
Jenner D(F)
Raven 3L
Hunchback 4G(F)
Catapult C1(F)

I have a free 'Mech Bay after the Centurion give-away (thanks PGI) and enough MC for another bay, but unsure whether I should select one of the following to be able to skill out one of these or should I skip them entirely and select another chassis entirely, most likely the Highlander, instead?

#2 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Well I wouldn't sell any founders mechs since they're unique, leaving the spider and the raven. If you flat out don't enjoy them I say it's fine to sell 'em and try out your highlander if you want to, it's not like fully kitted lights are that expensive to replace. I would suggest waiting to sell until you've had a chance to try out the new one and max its basic skills, just in case it doesn't sit well and you reconsider going back to one of them. I personally find the 3L to be one of my favorites so I'd give it another chance with a different build (the 2 large lasers seems to be pretty popular at the moment, though I favor 3MLs 2SSRMs. You can also try following the meta and stocking it full of LRMs, it's a pretty potent mobile support platform since it's self-ECMing and hard to visually target at range; just run around to different hills laying LRMs from the flanks)

#3 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Assuming you mastered those mechs above and also have the Atlas D(F), you should probably complete the Centurion, especially if you like tanking ability and brawling. If you haven't mastered them, definitely master them, as it makes them much better and more powerful.

Maybe what style of playing do you enjoy the most?

Edited by luxebo, 27 March 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#4 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

Apologies, I should have pointed out that while not a fan of them that all of the above have been Basiced for months (and that I have Mastered the Atlas and Centurion - thus the free 'Mech bay) its just I have never played any of the other variants aside from when they might have been offered as trial 'Mechs.

As for what I like, even with Australia Lag Shield I'm really not a great light 'Mech pilot and get better with slower mediums, heavies and assaults. Highlander having jump jets and nice mix of jump jets is why I was pondering it.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

You already own a significant selection of mechs from all weight classes, putting you in a very good position to figure out what weight class you should invest in next.

The important factors to assess are what speed you want, what type of weapon(s) you want, jump jets or not, as well as weight-class related factors such as armor, turn speed, and overall agility.

Highlanders have had their agility reduced, limiting turn speed and arm tracking speed. This is to make them more into 'plodding Assaults' more befitting their tonnage. Highlanders are still a very solid mech choice due to jumpjets, multiple ballistic mounts, and high armor, but are a bit less mobile than they were.

It would help to discuss what type of gameplay you enjoy, what types of weapons you are good at, and how fast you want to be.

#6 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:00 AM

The RVN-3L might be a keeper. With the recent changes to NARC on March 18th, this little mech has become quite the game changer. With ECM and NARC (practically as designed) it is possible to sneak up on unsuspecting opponents and NARC them for LRM bombardment relatively safely. It's likely the enemy isn't going to know what hit them until it's too late. Plus it is very good at letting teammates know where the enemy is without relying on the hard-to-miss chat or few-people-have-it third party voice-chat application. It's a lot of fun now.

But I understand it might not be for everyone. After all, getting into the mentality of "There is no I in team," can be very hard sometimes. The LRM and sniper units tend to get all the "glory."

Otherwise, I do have mastery of the Highlanders, and have actually kept two in my mechbays. My HGN-733C is very close to what the usual "meta" is. However I dropped one of the PPCs for a TAG and Streak SRMs to pick up the slack. I actually don't do much jump-sniping in this. But it's been really good so far at winning battles, although I usually get shot up pretty quick. The other is a modified HGN-733P for LRM chucking. 2 LRM 20s aren't quite as strong as 4 ALRM15s on a Stalker, Battlemaster, or Awesome, but it runs cool enough where the bombardment doesn't have to stop until the ammo or the target is gone. I like it.

#7 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostCycKath, on 27 March 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Apologies, I should have pointed out that while not a fan of them that all of the above have been Basiced for months (and that I have Mastered the Atlas and Centurion - thus the free 'Mech bay) its just I have never played any of the other variants aside from when they might have been offered as trial 'Mechs.

As for what I like, even with Australia Lag Shield I'm really not a great light 'Mech pilot and get better with slower mediums, heavies and assaults. Highlander having jump jets and nice mix of jump jets is why I was pondering it.

I would suggest then to continue through your Hunchback and Catapult, then find other heavies and assaults. This is a good way if you enjoy missiles enough to use Catapult (plus if you don't you could always get the Jester, K2, and C1 as a PPC and laser boat), and enjoy variety and slower mediums with the Hunchback.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users