#41 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

1) I have it mapped to E.
2) I don't always remember to.

I love being able to launch LRMs at an indirect target with my Highlander. Since the change, I put some LRMs into mine and I've been doing fairly well with it. Sometimes, I run my SDR-5D with an ERPPC and a TAG laser just so I can paint targets for my team. One of the best matches I've ever had in my Spider was on Tourmaline(before the LRM buff), and I spent most of my time perched above the enemy team on a crystal, calling targets for my team mates(didn't even have a TAG with me, the ERPPC was enough to counter the one ECM the enemy team had, and after that I didn't have to shoot any more).

#42 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostCMetz, on 30 March 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I simply think that it tends to be "just another button" that no one wants to take the time to hit. For one, I use throttle decay due to my play style. It can be a pain in the tail to hit R. My solution for this? I have a 7 button mouse. I mapped a button to target lock and there we go. Now my lock on button sits right below my scroll wheel. Protip for people that use Razer mice (I use Corsair, but have used and abused a razer mouse)- Try mapping targeting to your scroll wheel. I had it set up so that if I scrolled up it targeted. (assign keystroke R to scroll up function)

Mech noobs need Corsair:

Posted Image

#43 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Honestly, it's mostly unskilled players.

I wouldn't chalk it up to passive-aggressive missile hatred

#44 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

My R key is bRoken and I cannot hit R because R is the R key and cleaRly bRoken.

#45 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

Posted Image

#46 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostcSand, on 02 April 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

My dog ate my keyboard? :angry:

#47 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostScurry, on 31 March 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Yes, you must target an enemy mech for your team to see them. Empty triangles (above the mech) are visible to you, but not to your team. Filled triangles are visible to the whole team.

I don't know about the 360 module, though.

Way wrong! Empty means no one on your team currently has them targeted. Full means someone on your team is targeting them. Don't be giving out wrong information.

#48 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 March 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

So... Y U no hit R?

Because R is at an angle from my WASD keys, the keys my fingers wanna spend minimum time away from. Which is why I remapped it to Q.

Also,

View PostKjudoon, on 30 March 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

I've been hearing from more than a couple sources players are not locking targets because they hate missile boats. I'd heard it rumored, but I've started to notice it actually being

What kind of f**ker would do that!? Seriously, you don't wanna befriend someone shallow like that. That's the kind of people who would probably punch you in the face for taking the last fried shrimp from the basket.

#49 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts
  • LocationKentucky, United States

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Cry somewhere else, munchkin. The game auto-targets for you whether you like it or not, so you've got nothing to whine about.

#50 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostcSand, on 02 April 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

THERRRRRE it is!

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Cry somewhere else, munchkin. The game auto-targets for you whether you like it or not, so you've got nothing to whine about.

TL:DR much?

#51 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 02 April 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

THERRRRRE it is!

TL:DR much?

What's there to read besides a bunch of whining, crying, shaming, and flaming?

Point is - and it is quite simple - the game automatically targets one of the 'Mechs in your field of view whether you like it or not. That's it. Full stop. I defy you to prove me wrong.

So if you're like me and you detest the state of LRMs, and you wish to brawl it out, no matter what your opinion of LRMs may be, you're still providing a lock so long as you're looking in someone's general direction.

Edited by Master Maniac, 02 April 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#52 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

Because they're bad.

#53 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Point is - and it is quite simple - the game automatically targets one of the 'Mechs in your field of view whether you like it or not. That's it. Full stop. I defy you to prove me wrong.

So if you're like me and you detest the state of LRMs, and you wish to brawl it out, no matter what your opinion of LRMs may be, you're still providing a lock so long as you're looking in someone's general direction.

I detest the state of LRMs. they are not balanced with the AC/PPC meta. they need to be buffed even more than they were.

But if you HAD read the OP post, you'd have known it's more of an expose/rebuke to those who won't hit R for their rampant selfishness. You know... the very behavior you're seeming to desire.

Okay, defy me all you want. You're still wrong. The game does NOT automatically give targets to anything in LOS. ECM and sensor range are two limiters to that. While your AC can shoot at any graphic rendered in LOS, locking LRMs does not occur. With the current speed of the missiles, dumb firing at unlocked targets is almost a guaranteed miss unless that target stands stock still for 3-5 seconds. Sensor locks when you do get them require time to lock up. This can vary from a fraction of a second to almost 60 seconds. Yes, I've actually sat there trying to develop locks on targets inside sensors under ECM for that long with no success even with tag. Then what happens if you get the lock and fire to lose the lock a split second later? You miss.

If you had to go through this to use ACs, you'd drop them like a ball of lava. Then you may wonder why anyone would play them? Because some of us who love the game cannot play twitch munchkin games because of hardware issues or other reasons with the lack of physical reflexes because we're older than 18 and are not as precise as we once were. LRMs require a more mature skill set and thought process. It's often for the same reason we don't play Call of Doody or other twitchfests. We have lots of money we CAN spend on this game, but won't if all it is going to be is the same kind of twitchfest we refuse to involve ourselves with in other games for the same types of reasons. PGI bills this as a "Thinking Man's Shooter". Well, I'm seeing more shoot and less think the more we roll forward... and that bothers me and makes me fear for this game's survivability to the point of holding back my cash.

Of course, you obviously don't play LRMs or you don't play them well. Not sure which yet, so your ignorance on what it takes to play an LRM boat is excusable. Your attitude... not so much.

Edited by Kjudoon, 02 April 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#54 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

I got use to locking targets in closed beta when Atlas as7-d was THE mech to fear on the battle field. As a primary lrm boater I fire at any lock I have when i have a lot of lrm ammo. When I don't carry a lot I aim for the slowest mechs. Bap, adv. target decay, artimis, and target info mods are always on my cats. Tag is optional because I usually end up with lights after me and like to have mls to defend myself unless i'm in the a1 where that xl315 lets me run into the middle of my remaining team mates.

As a light pilot I really don't have time to hold locks when I'm facing several heavies or assults. I target one and run. This is where having the uav module comes in handy. Even the most inerpt derpy pilot will notice the sudden blob of red on their mini map unless they are color challenged.

#55 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

The occasional joke? :angry:

If nothing else - this thread reinforces the fact that - Autotarget or No- we should be making active use of the targeting button.

Because - if nothing else- if you are NOT targeting enough to find out that there is an auto-target - you are doing your team and yourself a disservice.

Edit: fixed autoaim to autotarget

Edited by Shar Wolf, 02 April 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#56 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 02 April 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

The occasional joke? :angry:

If nothing else - this thread reinforces the fact that - Autoaim or No- we should be making active use of the targeting button.

Because - if nothing else- if you are NOT targetting enough to find out that there is an auto-target - you are doing your team and yourself a disservice.

You know, I like to specifically lock the guy I'm NOT targeting, because I detest when some barely-participating "team player" throwing 80% of his considerable body weight onto his left mouse button does the last 10 damage to my target, stealing my kill.

So, yes, I am indeed in that group of players who is not going to be party to the broken LRMs giving you cheap, easy, thoughtless damage and kills.

EDIT: and LOL did I ever already post a reply to you, Kjudoon. I even made my very own thread about it.

Don't worry. NARCs are in vogue. Your LRMs are safe.

Edited by Master Maniac, 02 April 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#57 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Ah, so your poll answer would be one or all of these .

1. I think LRMs should be removed from the game and so I will not help support them.
2. Kill stealing jerks always wreck my Cbill/XP amounts
3. They're cowards and I want to force them to play my way
4. Teamwork is OP and what do I care about other people? This is a solo game and you're just AIs to me.

NARCs are finally where they should have been when introduced: a viable effective weapon that is in need of a CBill/XP buff.

Good to know you're the problem, not the solution.

#58 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 02 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ah, so your poll answer would be one or all of these .

NARCs are finally where they should have been when introduced: a viable effective weapon that is in need of a CBill/XP buff.

Good to know you're the problem, not the solution.

The problem to your personally preferred meta? You're ****** right I am. And I would turn that right back on *you,* given my *personal* belief that LRM spamming munchkinry is savaging any last semblance of fun MWO might have ever been able to yield, and I know I'm not alone.

I decided to give the game a try last night after not having played for about two weeks, and - BAM - what's the first thing that happens? Get hit within seconds of stepping out of cover by some Hunchback literally hammering NARCs at me, and I get savaged by missiles for no less than ten seconds of being completely hidden from sight, halfway down the freaking mountain on Awful Peaks. The only thing the LRM-ers had to do was hold a freaking button from halfway across the map.

Bad game design is bad game design, whether you like to realize it or not.

#59 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

The problem to your personally preferred meta? You're ****** right I am. And I would turn that right back on *you,* given my *personal* belief that LRM spamming munchkinry is savaging any last semblance of fun MWO might have ever been able to yield, and I know I'm not alone.

I decided to give the game a try last night after not having played for about two weeks, and - BAM - what's the first thing that happens? Get hit within seconds of stepping out of cover by some Hunchback literally hammering NARCs at me, and I get savaged by missiles for no less than ten seconds of being completely hidden from sight, halfway down the freaking mountain on Awful Peaks. The only thing the LRM-ers had to do was hold a freaking button from halfway across the map.

Bad game design is bad game design, whether you like to realize it or not.

Since turnabout is now fair play, I shall employ the phrase used on me and dozens of other "no skill LRM Pilots", and in their honor I say:

Learn to play.

#60 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 02 April 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Since turnabout is now fair play, I shall employ the phrase used on me and dozens of other "no skill LRM Pilots", and in their honor I say:

Learn to play.

Oh, gee, like you people haven't been doing that for the past half of a year in response to every single attempt by the player base to address the problem of LRMs - and let's also assume that I haven't already called you people out on that bilious blather a dozen times before.

In short: "quack quack quack quack quack quack"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users