79 replies to this topic

#61 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

Oh, gee, like you people haven't been doing that for the past half of a year in response to every single attempt by the player base to address the problem of LRMs - and let's also assume that I haven't already called you people out on that bilious blather a dozen times before.

In short: "quack quack quack quack quack quack"

Pardon me Master Maniac. You have been insulting players left and right. Please stop.

Those who get stressed out or angry from being destroyed in the game are looking at this wrongly.
This is not your job where you run back and forth trying to do everything all at once. It's a place to have fun.

#62 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts
  • LocationKentucky, United States

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 02 April 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Pardon me Master Maniac. You have been insulting players left and right. Please stop.

Those who get stressed out or angry from being destroyed in the game are looking at this wrongly.
This is not your job where you run back and forth trying to do everything all at once. It's a place to have fun.

How so, exactly? My position is that LRMs are low-to-no-skill weapons, and my beef is with players who assault everyone who criticizes the *weapon* by throwing L2P insults at them. I'm not in the wrong, here. Don't even try that tack.

#63 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

How so, exactly? My position is that LRMs are low-to-no-skill weapons, and my beef is with players who assault everyone who criticizes the *weapon* by throwing L2P insults at them. I'm not in the wrong, here. Don't even try that tack.

Telling you that "you're doing it poorly" isn't an insult. They're doing it differently, and it's working for them. They're pointing out that you're not. There's no malice...it just is. That's kinda the basis for anecdotal experience.

#64 Mofwangana Bogogono

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

View Postrolly, on 30 March 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Conversely, as an LRM boater, I find it annoying when a light spams the R key and just cycles through all the mechs he/she sees really fast then runs away. That doesn't seem to help me either because the spotting doesn't take effect. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Light pilots spam R when they run into multiple targets. It's an imperfect way of communicating without voice chat. Spamming R means, "many targets here". (I normally hit R for each mech that I see. 5 mechs = hit R 5 times. Teammates that are paying attention can count the beeps.) Of course, after doing that, I settle on a single target to help with LRM locks. Having said that, those locks won't stay for long; I'm usually running away at that point, since it's a bad idea to stick around when outnumbered.

#65 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 02 April 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Telling you that "you're doing it poorly" isn't an insult.

And telling you that the weapons you happen to like to use are flawed *is?*

#66 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Posted Image

#67 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Let me just mock a staw man and insult your inteligence

1) if you are deliberately locking onto someone - you are using the R button and working to help your team - no?

2) Nice work - mocking a straw man (because at what point did I bring up LRM in any way shape or form?) always proves your point.

WONDERFUL paint you are covering yourself in there buddy. :angry:

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

And telling you that the weapons you happen to like to use are flawed *is?*

Translation: I lack the competence to figure out how to use it - or just don't like it - therefore it MUST suck - and you suck for even considering using it.

You are working so hard at making everyone around you look bad - you are only making yourself look bad - buddy.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 02 April 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#68 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

View Postrolly, on 30 March 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Conversely, as an LRM boater, I find it annoying when a light spams the R key and just cycles through all the mechs he/she sees really fast then runs away. That doesn't seem to help me either because the spotting doesn't take effect. Has anyone else seen this happen?

What do you want me to do? Lock onto a target and then be pounded by ac20's till I'm dead so you can get one volley off while I die so you can maybe do damage to one target? Not me bro, I'm letting you know where the enemy is so that you're prepared. I'll lock onto a target when its not suicidal thank you.

#69 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Edited by Shar Wolf, 02 April 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#70 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 02 April 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Y U Ping me Shar? ;)

IF YOU DON'T USE R, EACH OF THOSE DOTS SHAR WOLF HAS FORETOLD REPRESENT YOUR UNTIMELY DEMISE.

Edited by Darth Futuza, 02 April 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#71 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 02 April 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Y U Ping me Shar? ;)

IF YOU DON'T USER R, EACH OF THOSE DOTS SHAR WOLF HAS FORETOLD REPRESENT YOUR UNTIMELY DEMISE.

Unintentional - was trying to scroll down -the spacing on this PC is bananasapplespongy crap :rolleyes:
(People sometimes get "liked" or, like you, "quoted" by me unintentionally :ph34r:)
Sadly - it did not pop up the quote until after I had hit save. :huh:

In other news - to all of you who do make active use of the targeting system? - Thank you.
Short held locks for LRM boats may be frustrating - but for everyone else (and usually even for the LRM) it is extremely helpful to know that an enemy is there - especially if the lock shows what kind of mech it is. B)

#72 lashropa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Srsly.

#73 L a S e R

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 30 March 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

I have been running locusts a bit lately

Me Too ;)

(Note: I have a 2.60 kil ratio in ym locust 1 V and love LRM's on my 3 S)

#74 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 02 April 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

1) if you are deliberately locking onto someone - you are using the R button and working to help your team - no?

2) Nice work - mocking a straw man (because at what point did I bring up LRM in any way shape or form?) always proves your point.

WONDERFUL paint you are covering yourself in there buddy. ;)

Translation: I lack the competence to figure out how to use it - or just don't like it - therefore it MUST suck - and you suck for even considering using it.

You are working so hard at making everyone around you look bad - you are only making yourself look bad - buddy.

You're not even remotely worth replying to, kid. You enjoy yourself, now.

#75 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

Oh, gee, like you people haven't been doing that for the past half of a year in response to every single attempt by the player base to address the problem of LRMs - and let's also assume that I haven't already called you people out on that bilious blather a dozen times before.

In short: "quack quack quack quack quack quack"

I was going to use the Net Troll card... but then you ended your low level trolling with this witlessicism so you must have drawn this instead.

Posted Image

#76 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 02 April 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Telling you that "you're doing it poorly" isn't an insult. They're doing it differently, and it's working for them. They're pointing out that you're not. There's no malice...it just is. That's kinda the basis for anecdotal experience.

The fact that he's ending up... consistently from the ferocity of his trollwhining... as a smouldering pile of ash in the bottom of a LRM crater is an indicator of projection.

Posted Image

I wonder if this tank commander is screaming "It's unfair! A-10's are too powerful! Nerf them! Nerf them! Whaaaaaaaaa..... "

;)

And the A-10 says "Learn to war, noob."

#77 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 02 April 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Unintentional - was trying to scroll down -the spacing on this PC is bananasapplespongy crap ;)
(People sometimes get "liked" or, like you, "quoted" by me unintentionally B))
Sadly - it did not pop up the quote until after I had hit save. :rolleyes:

In other news - to all of you who do make active use of the targeting system? - Thank you.
Short held locks for LRM boats may be frustrating - but for everyone else (and usually even for the LRM) it is extremely helpful to know that an enemy is there - especially if the lock shows what kind of mech it is. :huh:

Bananasapplespongy.... BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! I likea da funneh.

And secondly... yes. To those who believe in teamwork and good play, thank you for hitting R. Your efforts do not go unappreciated. Now, for LRM mechs in action in all it's low skill glory. Maniacal laughter at no extra charge.

Edited by Kjudoon, 02 April 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#78 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostMaster Maniac, on 02 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

You're not even remotely worth replying to

....says the guy.
In a reply.
To me.

Good luck with that.

#79 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

I like a good LRM platform as anyone can attest, and the idea of whining at teammates for locking behavior never even occurred to me until I started seeing this.

It's always been like this throughout the various iterations of the game: the two advantages or LRMs are a nice range and IDF functionality if you're lucky. I say nice in italics because they've never been the longest range weapons. Plenty of others with longer range, PPCs, AC2s, etc. And of course the big disadvantages are diffuse damage and uselessness at close range.

There's always a delicate dance as to how to keep frontliners just a little ahead but also not be too far behind for anyone to care if you get jumped. Now in the HBS game locking is a specific skill and an action that makes the target visible to the team for IDF fire and lowers their evasive score by a couple. But even with a couple such locks on them, a relatively fast mech still has a good enough evasive score that unless an LRM shooter has excellent gunnery skill a ridiculous number of missiles are going to eat dirt or concrete.

In a realtime game that translates to faster mechs being able to take all kinds of evasive action when the Incoming alarm goes off, and to figure out a way to make for some face time. Basically either way, usually the best target for LRMs is a larger slower mech whom teammates are going to be locking already if they're so inclined, or have in LOS so you can fill in the red triangle with your own instruments. Unless the HUD shows a bunch of ECM complications, in which case, as I see written so often and I wholeheartedly agree, stop whining, find good sniping spots like everyone with long-range DF means, and take your medicine like all your other battered and bruised comrades!

#80 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:54 AM

2014! Masternecromancer achievement unlocked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users