41 replies to this topic

#1 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

Ok, I started playing a couple of weeks ago, and I swear I won more games when I was shooting my Lrms from 2000m away than I am right now (now that I have some slight clue what I'm doing)

This wkd I played about 35ish matches and I think I won 3. I can't be so bad I'm singlehandedly bringing my entire team down, can I?

It seemed like every other game, my side dropped one short (the other team was almost never short. I think 1-2 games). I can chalk that one up as bad luck.

Every game I looked at the stats, and it seems like the newer, crappier players like myself all get lumped together on one team. My side often had 3-4 players or so with about 20 damage done (often me among them) whilst the other side's lowest damage is 200. Shouldn't us new players be split a little more evenly between the teams?

And it seems like every team I'm against is in perfectly coordinated lockstep. I can't tell you how many times my team gets flanked, how many times I've watched 3-4 snipers all step up over a ridge in unison and shoot and drop back down, how many times my team gets caught in crossfire. Just through sheer luck of the draw, I would think I'd see some of that on my own team, but far far more often than not, I watch my team on spectate getting shredded by the other team making far far better coordinated moves.

And specifically, on Alpine peaks map . Anyway, it seems like my teams this weekend always started on the east and southern parts of the map, and Alpha and Bravo always go charging towards H10/H9, but Charlie starts way to the south and its a long ways to go, and if Charlie lance has some slow guys in it, then we get strung out, and the first two lances start fighting without us and get shredded EVERY TIME. (I've been on the other side of that map before, and its far easier for Charlie to catch up with their team on the NW side) I've even asked my team to slow down, let us catch up, but I get ignored or I'm told we need to take the hill. I understand its strategic value, but not once has this strategy worked for my team. Not once. I've lost every single game I start on the the SE side of that map. A couple of times I've tried going NW (instead of trying to catch up to my team going NE) round the back of the other team with Charlie lance and get behind the other team, but since Charlie is often filled with the worst players, we get slaughtered.

I could go on, but the question remains. A 3-30ish record this wkd vs a .500 record during my cadet matches. Bad luck now, got lucky during my cadet games, or am I singlehandedly destroying my team?

Edited by Votanin FleshRender, 31 March 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#2 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Oops. Double post.. Can the mods please delete this thread?

#3 Kakebaronen

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

nope, its not you, its the entire playerbase from what i can see.
started playing the game 8 days ago, 25 first was full of even battles but now it is 0/1/2/3-12 that is the result, just like wot.
the more premade groups the bigger the chanse for a win, just like wot.

dosent help that the general pug tactic is blob up in 1 square and call it a "defence move" as the base lrm offers no help at all.

#4 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

The current player base at lower levels are mostly trolls who only go after kills and damage output rather than winning. They are too bad or too stupid to realize that a win is worth more(in the long run) than the extra C-bills they get from doing 400 damage or getting 3 kills.

Especially if you talk about strategy during the match, they say something trollish and you know the match is going to a loss.

#5 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostKakebaronen, on 31 March 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

nope, its not you, its the entire playerbase from what i can see.
started playing the game 8 days ago, 25 first was full of even battles but now it is 0/1/2/3-12 that is the result, just like wot.
the more premade groups the bigger the chanse for a win, just like wot.

dosent help that the general pug tactic is blob up in 1 square and call it a "defence move" as the base lrm offers no help at all.

I dont think it is his faut either, but your post also doesnt make sense to me. I am always dropping alone and I am constantly winning slightly more than I am losing. before I started dropping solo I always dropped 4 man, but I did not win any more games back then.

Also, if players are generally so bad like like you claim, they should be bad on both sides. My guess is the OP just has a streak of bad luck. Or did not keep track of his winning record correctly. Even if you go afk every game you should win more than 10% of your games.

#6 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, that sounds like a real black streak to me. Adjust your playing times, you may be having issues with the player base that is online with you.

#7 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 31 March 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

The current player base at lower levels are mostly trolls who only go after kills and damage output rather than winning. They are too bad or too stupid to realize that a win is worth more(in the long run) than the extra C-bills they get from doing 400 damage or getting 3 kills.

Especially if you talk about strategy during the match, they say something trollish and you know the match is going to a loss.

Seems to me it is you who does not realize how the system works. You get money by getting as many assists and kills as possible. By getting a win you rise in Elo and therefore lower the chance of a win next game. if the matchmaking system works correctly, you should always be around 50% win. So in the long run, as you say, going for kills (or rather assists) should get you more money than going for wins.

#8 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostRedoxin, on 31 March 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

I dont think it is his faut either, but your post also doesnt make sense to me. I am always dropping alone and I am constantly winning slightly more than I am losing. before I started dropping solo I always dropped 4 man, but I did not win any more games back then.

Also, if players are generally so bad like like you claim, they should be bad on both sides. My guess is the OP just has a streak of bad luck. Or did not keep track of his winning record correctly. Even if you go afk every game you should win more than 10% of your games.

That's certainly possible. How many matches can you play in an hour? On Sat, I played for 4+ hours, which i guessed was about 30-35 games, and didn't have the new Mechbay afterwards. Later, I let my oldest son play and he got it for me at some point.

View PostRedoxin, on 31 March 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Seems to me it is you who does not realize how the system works. You get money by getting as many assists and kills as possible. By getting a win you rise in Elo and therefore lower the chance of a win next game. if the matchmaking system works correctly, you should always be around 50% win. So in the long run, as you say, going for kills (or rather assists) should get you more money than going for wins.

That's great and all, but I don't care about the cbills. I'm tired of losing.

Edit - actually, it's not even losing that bothers me. If its s good match, then I can enjoy a loss. What I'm tired of are the 12-2, 12-3 asskickings.

Edited by Votanin FleshRender, 31 March 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#9 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

As a general rule (unless you're quitting out in the first 3 minutes or something), with Matchmaking and load times, you're probably only going to get 4-6 games an hour (10-15 minute turn around a match).

So for 4+ hours you're only likely to have got 16-24 games in (Again, unless performing exceptionally badly).

#10 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 31 March 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

Edit - actually, it's not even losing that bothers me. If its s good match, then I can enjoy a loss. What I'm tired of are the 12-2, 12-3 asskickings.

I can understand that. A loss where you still did well is satisfying. Running with a group of people (people whom you know, particularly) can help with the 'constant loss.' If you're playing solo and see 'the solution' there's only so much you can do as a single person. Running with a lance, you can see a problem, and take care of it.

Some people will argue "I shouldn't HAVE to get on Teamspeak with friends to play this game!" Well, not everyone DOES have to if they want to play well, but it almost always increases your effectiveness, REGARDLESS of skill level. Plus, it's more fun...especially with beers :angry:

Playstyle can also help. While there are certainly pilots who are exceptions to what I'm going to say, heavy mechs tend to do better for newer players.

Lights and mediums either don't do enough damage to make the difference, or die too quickly (for those exceptions out there, sometime myself included, I know you exist, but hear me out).

Assault mechs can take a bunch of damage, and deal out the pain, but they often move so slowly that they're completely incapable of getting out of a bad situation.

But heavy mechs, ah heavy mechs...you can put a nice heavy payload on those and still move fast enough to position yourself where you'll do the most good.

Don't get greedy chasing kills...focus on opening up as MANY target torsos as possible and trust to 'The PuG' to see an open torso and rush forward to try and kill it. Play a support mech, focusing on dealing damage and assisting other mechs. Don't be a hero and charge in. Be a murderous thug and whittle them down from a distance for the hero up close.

Constantly hit 'R' to see what targets available to you are vulnerable...take them out first. When there are two mechs in front of you, you want that two to become one as fast as possible, just by virtue of taking weapons away from the enemy.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 31 March 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#11 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostRedoxin, on 31 March 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

You get 25k C-Bills for winning......Winning will always beat out just going for kills and assists. Raising ELO is a good thing because it increases your chances to play with better players. Therefore increases the enjoyment of the game.

You are the type of player I hate teaming with and is a good example of the issue with MWO PUG'ing.

Edited by mogs01gt, 03 April 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#12 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 31 March 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Ok, I started playing a couple of weeks ago, and I swear I won more games when I was shooting my Lrms from 2000m away than I am right now (now that I have some slight clue what I'm doing)

You do realize that LRMs have a maximum range of 1000m right? If not, then that would explain losses.
Saw your other post, nevermind what I just said.

Maybe the loss right now is due to the win 5 matches get free mech bay situation. A bunch are bringing better mechs to win faster possibly, and this explains why. Also, you could've stepped up in elo rating, in that case congrats. Maybe the loss is due to you not being good enough? What mechs and stuff are you using? Join a group might also work better so you'd be supported. Maybe communicate and plan more.

Edited by luxebo, 31 March 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#13 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

OP. Add me as your friend. I would love to drop with you, and help with the game. Sounds like you had a bad luck streak and I think dropping with a couple of people can change that.

Also, every now and then (more often than you think) you will have a pre-made that decides to go together in a direction far off from the rest of the team, and either get outright butchered (your team is now down 4 players), or they go to such a remote part that they never see combat until your team of 8 gets hit hard by the enemy's 12. Now, you're down 8 players, the enemy team is still in decent condition, and the game ends with a loss 12-3.

View PostGhost Badger, on 31 March 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

it's more fun...especially with beers :angry:

I can confirm that, and I'm a Muslim who doesn't drink alcohol, my american friends will every now and then have a few while we're playing. The night usually (d)evolves into joking and shenanigans, we have fun, but we never throw games.

#14 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

you'' have good days and bad...

today so far.. I think I'm like 6 or 7 losses and 1 win.

#15 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

as far as puggin goes, the better you do, the worse players you get mixed in with to even out the match. your next step is to join in with friends on a teamspeak server and drop together. that will help even the odds of getting decent match results. those 4 guys who all go up at the same time and hit the same target, are what you should be doing with three friends at this point.

#16 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Welcome to the newest version of MatchMaker where you can see anyone within a range of 1400 Elo points. Esentially meaning anyone and everyone can be in any match at any time.

Trollin Matchmaker is successful.

#17 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

If your looking for a group u can check out C4. Layed back fun group and all skill level wecome.

#18 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostAmsro, on 31 March 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Welcome to the newest version of MatchMaker where you can see anyone within a range of 1400 Elo points. Esentially meaning anyone and everyone can be in any match at any time.

Trollin Matchmaker is successful.

Yep, I've been in games that included both tourney top-10 people and pilots who can't drive in a straight line.

OP: Consider submitting a post in the "Hiring Hall." It doesn't matter if your stats or skills are modest. There are plenty of guilds out there looking for players of all levels of skills and commitment. (Link here: http://mwomercs.com/...94-hiring-hall/)

As for losing streaks, it happens. I think I've hit a 30 game losing streak during my first couple weeks playing. Best way to break it? Get teamspeak 3, then go to the comstar server (server: na1.mech-connect.net, password: WordOfBlake). Once you're on, you can find rooms that say "looking for (game mode)." Just plop yourself in and if you're on during a reasonable hour, you'll probably have someone drop in within a few minutes asking if you want to group up.

The people on this server usually aren't your hardcore nerd-rage types, but are definitely better than your average pugger. The fact that you'll be able to call out targets and share info without having to stop and type it out in the chat is a good advantage as it is. You'll still get stomped now and then, but it'll happen less. And when you do get stomped, at least you'll have some people to laugh about it with. Most people there are willing to help a new guy out. I was on there when I still was piloting trial mechs and nobody gave me any grief.

edit: speeeling

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 31 March 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#19 I 0____o I

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Actually Votanin, that tactic on Alpine for the team that starts on the east side is generally the right move in a pug game. There are many other routes on the map if a team is coordinated, but as that hill is the first very visible and very defensible spot on the map for the east team, it's a good place to congregate for those who lack TS. The team taking control of the hill first can move to either side of the ridge and snipe enemies coming up the ramp or coming from behind the hill below. If you're Charlie just move there as soon as you can, even in slow assaults. You'll still make it there in time before the enemy Charlie.

#20 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 566 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 31 March 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

This wkd I played about 35ish matches and I think I won 3. I can't be so bad I'm singlehandedly bringing my entire team down, can I?

It seemed like every other game, my side dropped one short (the other team was almost never short. I think 1-2 games). I can chalk that one up as bad luck.

Bad runs like that happen.

However, a couple of points.
Do not shoot your LRMS at 2000 m. The effective range for LRM's is between 180 and 1000. There's a kind of a guide if you pay attention to the weapons, they turn yellow when you are at extended range where the damage is reduced, green when you are in optimum range, and black when they are out of range. However, note that it is not calculated by what you have targeted, but where your reticle is at. So if you are looking at a wall 200m away while targetting someone 2000m away your weapons will show green even though you are well out of range.

If you drop down one, that can be bad. However, if your team stays close and can create a situation where it is like 8 on 4, or better 11 on 4, then you can make up the difference pretty easily. It's not an automatic loss. Create a smaller engagement where you have the number advantage, even if you start outnumbered for the match as a whole. The Y button is your friend for this.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users