Ur Dead Shut Up Already!

70 replies to this topic

#41 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Why thank you sir-I do try. Though, at ten past four-no snarking can take place. It's TEA TIME.

#42 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostDar1ng One, on 01 April 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

b.) GLHF, HF GL, 07, o7, o>, ,,I, etc

GLHF = Good Luck Have Fun
GL = Good Luck
HF = Have Fun
o7 = Saluting

Please respect Good Gamers, thank you.

#43 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

View Postwolf74, on 04 April 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

GL = Good Luck
HF = Have Fun
o7 = Saluting

ggclose = low key trolling
GGclose = Hahaha epic trolling, damn lords!! :P
RTB = Run to Base
Regroup = Regroup :wub:
gg = thanks for the match
GG = epic match

Edited by Amsro, 05 April 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#44 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

GG in open chat after a ROFLstomp is not sportsmanship it's an insult, it's rubbing their nose in it. If you use GG in a game where you did well and rolled the other team, say it in team chat or lance chat only. You might have meant it in a positive light, but since nobody can hear your mood/emotion/mannerisms in just "GG", it's a taunt.

Don't do it unless the opposing team actually DID a good showing by say killing half your team or losing in resource cap by less than 50 points. If one person did GG work, address it to them.

That is GG territory.

#45 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 05 April 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

GG in open chat after a ROFLstomp is not sportsmanship it's an insult, it's rubbing their nose in it. If you use GG in a game where you did well and rolled the other team, say it in team chat or lance chat only. You might have meant it in a positive light, but since nobody can hear your mood/emotion/mannerisms in just "GG", it's a taunt.

Don't do it unless the opposing team actually DID a good showing by say killing half your team or losing in resource cap by less than 50 points. If one person did GG work, address it to them.

That is GG territory.

I disagree, it's still sportsman like to say gg.
Would you rather I said LOL?
Or should we just walk off the field and say nothing, embarrassed for the OP4, and their poor luck in the PUGlottery

#46 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 05 April 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

Or should we just walk off the field and say nothing, embarrassed for the OP4, and their poor luck in the PUGlottery

I'd rather hear nothing honestly. If I get humiliated by the opposition because they were either that good or we were that bad, I don't need someone pretending I did well.

#47 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

1) Nothing stops a dead player on team speak from relaying everything they see to team mates also on team speak.

The only difference is that you don't have to see or hear it.

Take away the ability for the dead to communicate with the living and you hand another advantage to coordinated team play.

2) In games where someone has assumed a leadership role ... making suggestions or coordinating the team response ... if they die then the leadership ends if their communications are cut. There is typically no chain of command or any other organization ... so ending communications at death would typically mean reduced coordination in what is already a poorly coordinated team game.

3) Sometimes spectators have usefult comments ...
"LRMs have a minimum range of 180m" - when watching someone fire LRMs point blank
"PPCs do no damage under 90m" - when watching someone fire PPCs point blank
"Enemy flanking from E6" ... useful if you pay attention, a bit immersion breaking, but the dead have a lot more opportunity to type than the living.

I agree that comments from spectators can be irritating sometimes but there would be even less player interaction and more limited team work if it was removed.

#48 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'm not sure about your comment. I say gg when it was a Good Game ... win or lose. If my team stomps the other 12:0 .. then even though we won I wouldn't usually say gg since in my opinion it wasn't. We won ... but that doesn't make it a good game (though I might offer up a good work in team chat). On the other hand, a game that goes 12:6 or that is close until one team makes a mistake is often a gg.

The only time a 12:0, 12:1 result might be worth a gg for me is when there is a lot of maneuvering and shooting without anything decisive happening until one or the other makes either a good or a bad move. Then things can fall apart like a house of cards but it can still be a good game ... I've found that situation rare though.

So ... I'd say the appropriateness of saying good game would depend on your definition of what a good game is ... and for many 12:0,1,2 results are really rarely good games ... so when someone on the wining side says gg in those circumstances it often feels a little salty :P

Edited by Mawai, 05 April 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#49 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hmmmmm, no... I don't think so. Did you vaporize my cockpit and send an electrical spike through the powergrid that is so powerful that it some how electrocuted me as I sit playing this GAME at my computer? Didn't think so.

This is not battlefield, call of duty, or any of a dozen other shooters you, the OP, have played. In most cases, you just vaporized thier Center torso, or at least did enough to stop it working. Unless you destroyed the cockpit specifically, or whole head, the mechwarrior is still alive in thier immobile out of action mech. Fully capable of using their radio, low power readouts and as you can guess, video feeds from fellow mechwarriors.

Pathetic though it may be, team chat, lance chat and the all channel are our radios and obviously they are not cut off when a mech is incapacitated. You may want to insist onsuch but it doesnt make it so. Even with fusion reactor and engine offline, look at the facts, tou have the chat channels... call it radio run on backup batteries, call it tight beam laser comms, whatever you call it, it works at the beginning of the match before you power up and at the end if you are out of action. Deal with it.

If you are a purist, maybe you should petition PGI to make chat access cut off if you were killed by headshot/cockpit destruction. As a suggested feature it would be a sane little dose of feel/immersion and an advantage/benefit for pulling off a difficult headshot.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 05 April 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#50 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

It is funny, some people try to take command when they are dead and there is a certain logic to doing so. They can focus solely on the big picture instead of having to divide their attention between fighting and leading. Without VOIP leading is difficult at best. Others like to take on a less intrusive role and act as tactical officers relaying information and that can make the difference between a win and a loss. Force strength, 'Mech types, loadouts, damage conditions, and coordinates are useful information in and of themselves.

If at dead player tries to tell me how to play I ignore them. If they tell me there are three assaults at C5 with exposed internals I will act in a manner suited to my current condition. I may go on the offensive and try to put down three wounded targets in a straight up slug fest, I may find a way to string them out and pick them off, or I may decide discretion is the better part of valor and pull back from an overextended position.

Denying a player the ability to communicate after death is pretty pointless with spectator options plus VOIPs like TeamSpeak around. Learning to pick and chose what those dead players say is a skill to be cultivated.

#51 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Postwolf74, on 04 April 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

GL = Good Luck
HF = Have Fun
o7 = Saluting

the o7, O7 so called "salute" really pisses me off, because it is some kind of special services left-handed ****** salute which I find to be rather insulting to all those who have served.

Its <o if you want to make it proper....get it right people.

#52 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostReggimus, on 05 April 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

the o7, O7 so called "salute" really pisses me off, because it is some kind of special services left-handed ****** salute which I find to be rather insulting to all those who have served.

Posted Image

Get it right? Good one.

Edited by Kjudoon, 05 April 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#53 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostDerelictTomcat, on 01 April 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

I follow no orders in game on not from strangers

This attitude isn't helpful. The orders you get are from people who are just trying to help your team win. They should be polite about it, but many of them are only trying to use their vantage point to boost their team's chances.

The whole "I listen to nobody!!!" attitude just makes me roll my eyes. What are you trying to prove?

#54 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostReggimus, on 05 April 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Or just go old school <S> and <B>

#55 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yes.

Saying nothing is fine, wouldn't think anything of it if nothing was said. For a stomp, one or the other, "lol" is infinitely better than "GG."

#56 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

How is o7 a leftie salute?

o is the top of the head viewed from above. The 7 is a right arm bent in at the elbow with the end of the arm touching vicinity of the brim/eyebrow position at the front of the head.

Ive been in for nearly 21 years now and have half a dozen to go it appears and it never occured to me to take offense to this. Viewed from above it seems like a legit representation.

#57 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

LOL, we're not even arguing semantics but abbreviations now.

Well done Forumites

<o <B>

#58 Ravnis

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Personally, I just ignore people who start yelling about me playing the way I want to. I giggle when people start complaining I'm "hijacking" their mech.

Don't let it bother you and eventually they shut up. Usually when you start to pick back at them they start shouting your location to the enemy, in which case, you just screenshot them and report them as a team traitor. I heard tears of the dead are nutritious.

#59 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostLukoi, on 05 April 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

How is o7 a leftie salute?

He's either saluting with his left hand, or saluting at the sun setting into the horizon, over a battlefield full of charred Mechs.

#60 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:33 AM

What about the super fun happy double waving arm salute aka.
\o/ WHEEEE!

How will I complement people on killing me with headshots by screaming "MY FACE!!!" in global chat if I can't speak when I'm dead?

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users