The Raven Huginn

36 replies to this topic

#1 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'm a huge Raven fan. I've been piloting my 3L for a year and it is definitely my main mech. So when a hero Raven finally came out, I was excited. But my excitement was soon dimmed by the Huginn's lack of ECM. The Raven's primary purpose is to carry electronic warfare systems so a Raven not carrying it seems to be missing the point. Regardless, I picked it up but am struggling to find a build I like. The jumpjets and slightly larger engine cap is nice. Here's what I have: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ea4c0aea2e87dc

Any suggestions? What sort of builds would you guys recommend?

#2 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

I think it's unforgivable to not have ECM on the Raven hero mech for the same reason you state above. The only reason I can think of that it is not on this mech is for all the cries of 'PAY TO WIN!!!!!' that would emanate from the uninformed masses.

As for your build, it's about the only thing you can do with it but it's a moot point anyway cause the 3L is just better.

#3 Mootrix

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Not a fan of the HUGINN on paper - the lack of any energy mounts is a problem

I know someone looking at a LRM build - am curious to see how it goes as it will be missing TAG. Here is a thought experiment build I put together, does not do anythign particularly well but can keep lights off with the streaks , MGs for exploiting crits and has some long range punch with the AC2.

Fixed the link in the edit

Edited by Mootrix, 02 April 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#4 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

As a guy that pilots the occasional Locust, I find the Huginn like the overgrown love child of the -1V and -3S. So it has the basic Locust options, but it also has the weight to do some of those wackier builds that people try and fit onto a Locust.

#5 Funkupotamous

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

I've been having the best luck with lrms and the 4mgs, and yeah I have to agree it plays more similar to a locust at the moment.

Russ tweeted earlier today that srm hit detection has been moved to the top of the priority list. Whenever that happens I'll bet the Huginn will perform better by leaps and bounds.

#6 Mootrix

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Trouble with LRMs and MGs is that the LRMs have a minimum range and MGs are only useful if the other mech has been opened up, I suspect a ballistics build would be better with SRM backup

#7 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

I'm racking up a bunch of kills in my Huginn using the build that the OP put up. Its been quite a fun mech to go after assaults and LRM boats with. I think my KDR with it is around 1.8 now.

#8 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

I think the load-out from the OP is the best non-streak build, and then the SSRM build that replaces the 2x4s with SSRMs and includes a BAP.

I agree that ECM on a hero would cause a bitter forum revolt, especially by those who are just searching for reasons to call MWO P2W. So PGI probably did not add ECM to the Huginn just to avoid listening to that baby throw a tantrum.

#9 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

View PostCorralis, on 02 April 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

The only reason I can think of that it is not on this mech is for all the cries of 'PAY TO WIN!!!!!' that would emanate from the uninformed masses.

There is nothing wrong with pay to win when you can get the game and the Raven-3L for free. Plus, it beats pay to loose.

I'd wish they'd issued the Huggin with 1E/1B in each arm, 1M in each side torso, 1E in the CT and ECM . You'd have a nice mech able to support the best Raven builds in one chassis without competing with Spiders, Jenners, and Firestarters.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 03 April 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#10 grml666

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 250 posts
  • LocationAruba

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

Well, let's hope for the Muninn ... PGI it's your turn! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huginn

Edited by grml666, 03 April 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#11 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

if your willing to risk going slower and dropping cockpit armor with arm armor

2 srm 6 - 300 srm ammo - 4 mg - 4000 mg ammo - 1 jumpjet - 137.4 kph - 215 armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e014bb0dfe67d91

#12 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 03 April 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

I'd wish they'd issued the Huggin with 1E/1B in each arm, 1M in each side torso, 1E in the CT and ECM . You'd have a nice mech able to support the best Raven builds in one chassis without competing with Spiders, Jenners, and Firestarters.

So you want a mech with 300 engine cap, jump jets, 3E + 2B + 2M hardpoints and ECM on top of that? It would be already better than all existing Raven's with only both last mentioned points. This wouldn't be just different to existing variants, it would be plain better than all of them and therefore at least very close to P2W.

#13 Name142602

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

Exactly. I'd like my twin LL/ECM raven to have JJ and I'd like my 3ML/2SSRM/JJ raven to have ECM :D Engine cap at 295 is fine... Still cannot beat any (most) other light wrt firepower so it's not too OP...

I don't mind P2W because I enjoy supporting MWO.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 03 April 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#14 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

Ah. At least you are unrepentant about wanting it clearly OP. We've been there in the old days. EVERYONE ran a Raven bc ECM and 180 degree streaks.

So no, the masses are not uninformed, they just don't want tons of cheese running around spoiling their fun.

As Bill Clinton once said: " Have you no shame?"

#15 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Well, after running the Huginn for a few days, I still have yet to find a better build. I've never been so frustrated grinding out a mech before and I've mastered the Locust and the Golden Boy. Despite how much I want to find a reason not to, I have to agree that the 3L is simply better.

#16 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:14 AM

2-3 armor shaved on each critical component with no cockpit armor (its a light mech going fast)

however 2 srm 6 - 300 SRM ammo - 4 Machine guns - 4000 MG ammo - 1 Jumpjet - 142.6 KPH - 197 armor

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc2a0f514b53f90

or 3 armor shaved off each arm and no cockpit armor but max armor everywhere else - 215 armor
same loadout just going 137 kph
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2cf86d06419c87d

or near same build as original post

Max armor - 1 jumpjet - 150.2 kph - 2 Srm 4 - 300 SRM ammo - 4 Machine guns - 4000 MG ammo

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a045f4c00bb9a61

or the low armor - 114 kph - Lrm 10 - LRM 15 - 1 jumpjet - 1080 lrm ammo - sorta suicidal version - 125 armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bcc01824aed6f86

Edited by kesuga7, 05 April 2014 - 02:31 AM.

#17 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I simply use 1 ultra AC5 on mine. Having quite a bit of success with that.

#18 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 08 April 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

I simply use 1 ultra AC5 on mine. Having quite a bit of success with that.

thats just silly :)

I'm running 4 mgs and 2 srm4s. Great compliment to ember in a swarm

#19 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Not silly when 60% + of my srm hits don't register. Or when I put 2000 mg rounds into a cicada's legs, stripped armour and took em down to red then it stopped taking damage.....

Or when I'm brawling a Banshee and get him down to red CT then suddenly I'm dead without being shot......

I find range is my friend, range is life! Close combat in a raven seems suicidal for me.....it seems to take damage so quick compared to my jenner, commando and spiders it's not funny....

#20 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 08 April 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

Not silly when 60% + of my srm hits don't register. Or when I put 2000 mg rounds into a cicada's legs, stripped armour and took em down to red then it stopped taking damage.....

Or when I'm brawling a Banshee and get him down to red CT then suddenly I'm dead without being shot......

I find range is my friend, range is life! Close combat in a raven seems suicidal for me.....it seems to take damage so quick compared to my jenner, commando and spiders it's not funny....

This is where you Spam SSRMs and MGs. EZ Mode..
You only want target lights initially since JJs + Streaks is kinda OP on lights.. And keep chasing them trying to blow away their legs.. HEAT is not a concern with Streaks and MGs...

Go after bigger when they soften up.. Open backs of XL engine.. Yummy ! ;)

*Note: I am not going to buy this mech for real MC !

*Also Note: Raven leg was nerf by PGI a long time back to make them easier to hit.. This what you are probably feeling.

Edited by ShinVector, 08 April 2014 - 07:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users