10 replies to this topic

#1 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, that was probably already talked about.
But I think that game could really use a FFA mode.

A gigantic arena map, created specificly for Mech battle, were everybody is against everyone.
Surrounded by massive ammount of spectator screaming, with music playing and of course Duncan Fisher commenting about some action. :3

Everybody would start on a mech bay, with the door opening at the same time for everybody, with multiple choke point on the map. What will you do, target that Atlas who is ruining the day of that centurion? Or try to get out that place because your Hunchback won't be a match to that Atlas?

What will you do, leave that Cataphract fighting that Awesome? Or join the brawl? And witch target, the cataphract or the Awesome?

For once, it could really be 1 vs 23. (Or 1 vs 11)

#2 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

This is a super popular idea, but as you can see the trolls are busy bumping the "which map do you dislike? topic" ;)

Many of the players, that are actually in game playing, I am sure would like solaris style matches, myself included.

I look forward to the faction star map most, but a tournament on Solaris ranks a close second. It is unlikely I will be doing much none faction, none Solaris matches after they are added, assuming they are added at all ;)

#3 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:06 AM

At this point, why the hell not? In fact Solaris is the only thing that would make sense with PUGS and random maps.

#4 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

From a realistic standpoint...

...The rate PGI is going, we will never see Solaris Arena developed in this game.

However, you can use your imagination and just pretend tiny maps like River City are Solaris Arenas ;)

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

The thing is, even in the single player campaign from the MW-game you're basically talking about you had the best chances to win if you tried to avoid engaging the enemy. Maybe a long range shot vs an already engaged mech so that you were 'participating', and in the end mop up the battered rest.

If it's about winning the arena battle (be it last man standing or most kills) that's what also will be one of the best tactics in MWO. I'd suspect all the little corners that are off the main routes to become very popular camping spots. Wait until most players have been culled (and be ready to alpha anything that walks around the corner, seismic for teh win) and then go and become a 'real winner'.

In the regular game it's the actual teams that prevent people from doing this. Still 4 enemies left alive? Even if they're all shot up they'll still be gunning exclusively for you, so you're probably still going down. Make this a solo player arena affair and camping becomes the newest mechwarrior outdoors activity.

#6 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

Sounds like what Heavy Gears are trying to achive. In my eyes Arena team death match is all we have and all will ever have. I would like less death match and more coop, but thats a different topic.

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 05 April 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yeah, that was probably already talked about.
But I think that game could really use a FFA mode.

A gigantic arena map, created specificly for Mech battle, were everybody is against everyone.
Surrounded by massive ammount of spectator screaming, with music playing and of course Duncan Fisher commenting about some action. :3

Everybody would start on a mech bay, with the door opening at the same time for everybody, with multiple choke point on the map. What will you do, target that Atlas who is ruining the day of that centurion? Or try to get out that place because your Hunchback won't be a match to that Atlas?

What will you do, leave that Cataphract fighting that Awesome? Or join the brawl? And witch target, the cataphract or the Awesome?

For once, it could really be 1 vs 23. (Or 1 vs 11)

Solaris would be a great mode for those times when you want to see just how good you really are... I am sure it would elicit no end to whining that x is OP an Y is doing it wrong cause that isn't how you are supposed to fight...
So nothing new really. ^_^

#8 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 07 April 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

The thing is, even in the single player campaign from the MW-game you're basically talking about you had the best chances to win if you tried to avoid engaging the enemy.

They'd definitely have to change the victory condition for Solaris if they wanted to encourage battle.

Tho, technically, using the current c-bill/xp rewards would already make cowardly wins worth less, but it's always better to be obvious about encouraged behavior. Maybe have a scoring system that primarily rewarded on components destroyed and damage done, and then kills -- survival unnecessary for a scored win and better for players to toy with opponents.

#9 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

I would love this, and also the ability to:

1 - spectate Solaris matches

2 - place bets with cBills on Solaris match outcomes (obviously with some securities in place to prevent match fixing)

Now that would be sweet

Edited by cSand, 07 April 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#10 Ravnis

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

Solaris' Arena is never the same layout. It's not like just a large open field like football or something.

But either way I agree it needs to be added.

#11 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

IIRC only some of the arenas had a changeable layout. The Steiner stadium could raise or lower wall sections and the Kurita one was rumoured to change (rumoured because it was an underground maze and nu blueprints existed anymore).

The Liao arena was a jungle (it's hard to swap patches of jungle or even individual trees) and the Marik factory only changed insofar as people shot bits up thereby blocking of passages or creating new access holes. Can't recall the Davion one at the moment.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users