18 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Interstellar Marines is a game that has some excellent in-game Voice effects/features; FF to 12:40 if you want to just check that part out out. This was featured in GDC 2008!

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 05 April 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#2 mansquid

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Oh but there are Voice coms, they're just terrible and incredibly low on the feature list, quite possibly falling off the feature update list.

I can understand a dev with constant whiplash between Russ demanding usless features and Paul demanding meta-balances without consulting the community it's unlikely we'll see any positive change on this particular issue any time soon. My suggestion: Hope on a TS3 server.

Edited by mansquid, 05 April 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 05 April 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Interstellar Marines is a game that has some excellent in-game Voice effects/features; FF to 12:40 if you want to just check that part out out. This was featured in GDC 2008!

And is still trying to find funding according to the website...

#4 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I do not think the level of detail for VOIP in the above video is necessary for MWO,but I do think a much improved in-game VOIP would greatly improve MWO immersion,team play, and new player retention. A better in-game VOIP combined with global chat channels would greatly add to the MWO experience. The in-game voice chat channel should automatically be established when a player creates a group. Every player that joins the group should automatically be added to the group's VOIP channel upon entering the group. Everyone should have privileges to mute players (only for them, not the entire group) in their voice chat group at their own discretion and every player should be able to adjust the volume level of each player in their group at their discretion. Lack of attention to in-game communications has been the paramount weakness of MWO from the beginning and the primary hindrance to NEW player retention. I hope the Devs will make communication improvements a top priority moving forward.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 06 April 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#5 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have to say no. the last thing I can stand is some 10 year old butchering the English Language. Honestly, Just use Team Speak! play with friends! That way if you ARE the annoying 10 year old then the rest of us don't want to commit Ritual suicide.

#6 Crimson Fenris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

+1 with Knightshadowsong.

The only useful and international system, that doesnt currently involve lot of development and/or network traffic is a command dial, like the one in Battlefield 1/2/3, allowing any player to quickly give orders to their lance or team.

Enemy position spotted > with a static marker placed on the map, according to the aim reticle
Requiring support > mark the player arrow with a request icon for few seconds incase of heated firefight
Follow me Lance/Team, or Move to this position > when you want to coordinate with your lancemates
Attack my target > mark current selected target to be aimed by teammates
Requiring airstrike/arty/UAV > mark the aimed ground with according request

This will greatly improve PUG matches, without anyone having to speak or butcher english, or even speaking the same language.
No microphone volume problems, no network congestion with VoIP packets everywhere, no larsen effect, no baby crying loudly... Happiness, in fact ^_^

If PGI was actually competent enough, this system would already be implemented. Otherwise, wait 1D20 months for any significant progress to be made to MWO...

#7 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 06 April 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

I have to say no. the last thing I can stand is some 10 year old butchering the English Language. Honestly, Just use Team Speak! play with friends! That way if you ARE the annoying 10 year old then the rest of us don't want to commit Ritual suicide.

Mute.

Don't dissmiss a much desired feature because you think you can't have exactly what you want.

#8 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 06 April 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Simple solution to your objection is for every player to have the ability to mute each player individually. Having a quality in-game VOIP is a win win for everyone if implemented properly.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 07 April 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#9 Crimson Fenris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 07 April 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Simple solution to your objection is for every player to have the ability to mute each player individually. Having a quality in-game VOIP is a win win for everyone if implemented properly.

I'm still considering VoIP as a waste of server resources. Carrying audio in good quality is something bandwidth-consuming, as many Teamspeak users may know.

And muting players you dont want to hear is a waste of potential precious communication, something that will eventually lead to the starting point : nobody being able to give info and follow orders.

Since the language and audio quality is a barrier between people, why not adopt my aformentioned solution with the quickdial ?

Groups of friends are still going to TS to give precisions, and use a quicker ingame method to give orders and infos to others. Everyone is satisfied. :P

#10 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

View PostCrimson Fenris, on 08 April 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

I'm still considering VoIP as a waste of server resources. Carrying audio in good quality is something bandwidth-consuming, as many Teamspeak users may know.

And muting players you dont want to hear is a waste of potential precious communication, something that will eventually lead to the starting point : nobody being able to give info and follow orders.

Since the language and audio quality is a barrier between people, why not adopt my aformentioned solution with the quickdial ?

Groups of friends are still going to TS to give precisions, and use a quicker ingame method to give orders and infos to others. Everyone is satisfied. :P

Are you ok with the group size restriction of 4?
If not, the only way for them to be able to remove the restrictions is with voip for everyone. The only difference between 12man premade and 12 puggers with voip is preparation, which will be balanced somewhat with 3/3/3/3.

Being worried about server resources seem irrational, are you worried MWO will expand their player base?

Having to deal with too many people talking or unsavory people talking or language barriers can also be dealt with very easily by adding in drop grouping options and team/group channels with mute and on/off toggle.

Want info from team and group but don't want to hear 12 people, have someone in your group designated to be in both the team and group chanels as a go between, i'm sure it's not hard to find someone that can easily handle that without freaking out.

But wanting info from someone you muted is easy to fix, unmute them. You can't have it both ways, don't know what to say about that other than it's better than using TS and only talking to 4 people with no option to hear the other 8 people.

#11 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 07 April 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Mute.

Don't dissmiss a much desired feature because you think you can't have exactly what you want.

This assumes there would be a mute feature. It would be a great feature to implement IF muting is an option but since PGI does not even have a /ignore feature for chat which is par for the course in almost all MMOs we cannot assume it would have one. Its funny really. PGI admitted to the value of auch a simple thing and I imagine it couldnt be that hard to allow us to ignore people or turn off chat windows.....yet here we are.

#12 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

here are a few points

- a game that screams teamwork is key in every opportunity and doesnt have ingame voip in the year 2014 while this is a feature that other games had years ago or others games have today with way less budget than MWO is a fail no matter how you see it.

- the most common arguments presented by those that oppose ingame voip is: "i dont want to have to listen to kids screaming over their microphones" and "i dont need it i play with my copr over TS". one word as it was said before me "mute". mute individual players, mute all or even completely disable voip through game settings menu. those arguments do ot stand simply because there extremely easy to overcome and keep everyone happy. therefor you should not dismiss a feature that is inarguably good for the game and the general player base just because you ar eto lazy to click an option or you think you dont need it.

- we dont really need a voip system as complex as the one seen in this video. a simple Lance-based voip would do wonders. and if you want really good teamwork a seperate channel for lance leaders and commander to communicate the way BF2/2142 did it years ago.

- Do not expect anything like this from PGI

EDIT: just wanted to address another argument used to oppose ingame voip and i missed it earlier. so here it goes "ingame voip is not good because it takes up too much bandwidth". ok so what you are actually saying is that 10 years ago we had enough bandwidth for ingame voip and now we do not, 10 years ago we could have 32vs32 AND ingame voip and now unfortunatelly we can handle ingame voip because....

Edited by VagGR, 08 April 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#13 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostLukoi, on 08 April 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

This assumes there would be a mute feature. It would be a great feature to implement IF muting is an option but since PGI does not even have a /ignore feature for chat which is par for the course in almost all MMOs we cannot assume it would have one. Its funny really. PGI admitted to the value of auch a simple thing and I imagine it couldnt be that hard to allow us to ignore people or turn off chat windows.....yet here we are.

Mute is an industry standard and would be a must with voip. To say they shouldn't add a feature because they suck and have messed things up before is the wrong attitude to have, and would mean they should just leave the game as it is currently and add nothing else.

#14 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 08 April 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

Mute is an industry standard and would be a must with voip. To say they shouldn't add a feature because they suck and have messed things up before is the wrong attitude to have, and would mean they should just leave the game as it is currently and add nothing else.

Im not advocating they should not add voip. Im noting their performance thus far ESPECIALLY in regards to industry musts. Assuming they will do it right because it would be an obviously beneficial feature IF implemented correctly is being a foolish consumer.

You neednt worry about my attitude. Just dont let rose colored glasses confuse the issue. Past performance is an indicator of potential future performance.

#15 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

av voice chat system should have been standard from the get go, but that is water under the bridge. Moving forward, I would love to see PGI get this ball rolling. as I said above, teamwork is one of the key elements to this game, and not having the ability to communicate with other players truly hampers a wonderful experience for this game In a PUG game,you would see far more people picking up the command baton if there was a chance that they could effectively communicate with the other team members on the fly during combat. Right now, I hardly ever see someone pick up the command position because it is not worth it for them to struggle with out voice over.New players would anchor themselves to the calming voice of a competent commander usher ring them through their first dozen or so matches, and would stick with the game with less heartache and frustration. Just saying.

#16 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 08 April 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

The only difference between 12man premade and 12 puggers with voip is preparation, which will be balanced somewhat with 3/3/3/3.

Wrong. The difference is; the 12 man premade all WANTS to be on VOIP, and work together, and have probably worked together before (at least most of them) the puggers dont nessecarily want to be on VOIP, or work together, and have probly never even played together before...

Not saying VOIP wouldnt be nice, but its not the savior people are making it out to be.

#17 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

You know what would be nice with voice coms?

Having them.

#18 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostMadw0lf, on 08 April 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Wrong. The difference is; the 12 man premade all WANTS to be on VOIP, and work together, and have probably worked together before (at least most of them) the puggers dont nessecarily want to be on VOIP, or work together, and have probly never even played together before...

Not saying VOIP wouldnt be nice, but its not the savior people are making it out to be.

That is the thing tho, puggers can't complain about premades stomping, and therfor a need to group restrictions, if they have no good reason to not use voip. Weather they use it or not, if anyone comes on the forum talking about how premades stomp, ppl could just tell them to use the voip provided.
And yes a group of people that intuitively know how each other will react through previous experiences should out perform a group of equal skills with no experience together but I consider pratice working together preparation.

Also to say puggers don't nessecarily want to be on voip is a moot point, even 1 person is using it would be better than none. Also with voip you can benifit without participating, just by listening.

I do feel they need to add a grouping function during drops to maximize the use of the voip while eliminating the group size restrictions.

#19 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 08 April 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

That is the thing tho, puggers can't complain about premades stomping, and therfor a need to group restrictions, if they have no good reason to not use voip. Weather they use it or not, if anyone comes on the forum talking about how premades stomp, ppl could just tell them to use the voip provided.
And yes a group of people that intuitively know how each other will react through previous experiences should out perform a group of equal skills with no experience together but I consider pratice working together preparation.

Also to say puggers don't nessecarily want to be on voip is a moot point, even 1 person is using it would be better than none. Also with voip you can benifit without participating, just by listening.

I do feel they need to add a grouping function during drops to maximize the use of the voip while eliminating the group size restrictions.

The same people would still complain about being stomped by premades though, youre just shifting the fact from VOIP in general to having practice together.

Just to clarify, im not against what you want, I just dont think VOIP would be the boon everyone thinks it is.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users