- - - - -

Tbt Or Grf? Mobile Missiles

25 replies to this topic

#1 Graystone1

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

During a previous thread I was enchanted by the idea of a medium mech mobile missile boat.
I've saved just shy of 7mil. The only thing left is to do it on a mostly stock Trebuchet or a Griffin.
I decided on the TBT-7M variant because its seems almost perfect for my needs out the door.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...325cb5a017f4886
The GRF-3M I built (which could be an awful build) is very similar but with a few differences:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0abeea2491ce3b1

Same Armor, speed, both JJ, overall firepower.
The Treb can narc to support himself and the team. Additionally 3xML means he isn't terrible up close. But no AMS. (Cheaper Too)
Griffin can snipe with PPC in addition to Missiles and has more ammo. Has AMS. No Narc, a lot worse up close but not helpless.

What do you think?
I'll also hear arguments for other variants and such.
Its 4am now. I'm check back in the morning.

Edited by Graystone1, 06 April 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#2 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:24 AM

Looking at the two I think the TBT setup would be very useful as a mobile missile platform with that NARC pod. IT also has better close in defence with the 3 Arm mounted ML's. You will want to run Double Heat sinks on it though. I am assuming that was an oversight when you made that build.

The Griffin looks pretty solid as well although it is going to run alot hotter. It is a slightly sturdier chassis as well. It would be more effecive at range as opposed to your TBT build.

You don't see alot of TBT's on the battlefield. I am not sure why that is but at a guess it might be a problem wiht the hitboxes or some other quirk. I don't own one though so hopefully someone else will pipe in on any potential problems the TBT chassis might have. On paper though I like the TBT build better.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

That is a tough choice, although the poor Trebuchet is really quite tall for the job while the Griffin has a better overall shape & hitboxes.

With so many 50 and 55 tonners able to run incredibly similar LRM+Laser builds, a lot will come down to 1) preference and 2) picking three variants of the chassis that you'll need or 3) specific details like one more energy here or there or more torso twist (tip: The Griffin has mad torso twist)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 06 April 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#4 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

Between the two, and speaking from piloting both, I generally think the TBT is outclassed. They serve the same purpose, but the GRF has 5 more tons for armor and weapons. Also, as Redshift said, the TBT is an abnormally large for its weight.

That said, I have good success out of both. Here's a good setup for the 7M missile boat.

http://TBT-7M

Personally, I think the NARC is a bit counter-intuitive. It requires you to get close, but LRMs are dicey within the NARC's effective range. NARC is slow and unguided, so at 270m out, it's not easy to hit with it, and it's better to get a bit closer. Therefore, I would leave it to the scouts. That said, TAG works much better in the LRM's range. Combine that with Artemis and the TBT's good speed and JJs, and this mech is great for line of sight LRMs. It locks quickly, breaks ECM with the TAG, and has a tight spread. Try to work you way to less than 500m, and use speed and JJs to reposition as the battle shifts.

You're GRF build isn't bad at all. My only suggestions would be to move that PPC to the shoulder, and put a TAG on the arm. A single ML isn't going to do squat to protect you anyway, and the high shoulder mount for the PPC allows you to poke over ridges for the PPC shots. With the arm, you need to expose much more of your mech for a clear shot. I would also recommend finding the tonnage for one more ton of LRM ammo, as LRMs chew through ammo rather quickly.

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Just to ask you a question Graystone, did you ever get the CTF-3D?

You will want to try to master (or get to elite x2) on mechs, mastering does take 3 variants to master a chassis, but it's well worth it. I suggest getting the Griffin instead of the Trebuchet.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d7e177a2efb0f0d
That's the build I suggest for the Griffin. You can non-stop stream missiles at opponents void of AMS or ECM, but you can counter ECM, fire in bulk to stop AMS, and use the PPC to destroy things. The XL 280 can be switched with the XL 275 if you never got the CTF-3D, which I'm sorta confused what you do have as of right now.
Treb is quite expensive, same as Griffin, so in any case, you should try to get whatever XL you can get without having to pay for one.
Remember, they're both large and have JJs, but Treb is very specific to it's role, while Griffin can play multiple roles through their chassis. Up to you, but I'd suggest the Griffin for a first/better start before the Treb.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

One thing I'm noticing is you're showcasing the similar to stock loadouts. Any mech can NARC. I was doing it with a Centurion in this long vid of many matches (for a large sample; just pick any moment and enjoy) and it's amazingly effective.

For your Griffin you can turn the second and third LRM-5s into an LRM-10 and throw on your NARC without losing any missile firepower at all. Though a NARC is fairly heavy, and so you'd have to sacrifice the ER PPC in favor of something like an ER Large Laser.
Truth be told when jumping, lasers are a LOT more effective than (energy-based) ballistic weapons.

Edited by Koniving, 06 April 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#7 Graystone1

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

View Postluxebo, on 06 April 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Just to ask you a question Graystone, did you ever get the CTF-3D?

You will want to try to master (or get to elite x2) on mechs, mastering does take 3 variants to master a chassis, but it's well worth it. I suggest getting the Griffin instead of the Trebuchet.

You bet I did. Its a dang dreamboat with lots of damage and armor and JJs. Great for leading a Lance. Apparently it can fill a ton of roles too. Love my 3D. (hard to get a nice paint-job though)

View PostKoniving, on 06 April 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

One thing I'm noticing is you're showcasing the similar to stock loadouts. Any mech can NARC. I was doing it with a Centurion in this long vid of many matches (for a large sample; just pick any moment and enjoy) and it's amazingly effective..

Thanks. I had looked for a vid of Narc in action and found nothing useful. The vid itself was also enjoyable because of its whimsical nature. I'll make sure to check out more of your vids ;)
I'm gonna stick to the GRF even though I am very attracted to the TBT too.
I think Pastor Priest was right about the NARC so I'm forgoing that in favor of the TAG. Especially since I see ECMs most matches.

Since I'm gonna be using it for sniping and missile lobbing from cover, I'll not be taking artemis. Moved stuff around as suggested.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49082b01caae896

Thanks for helping me chose guys. Big help. <_<

Edited by Graystone1, 06 April 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#8 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Good choice in things, although you can use XL 280 instead of XL 275 as you have the 3D. No tonnage lost from doing that. I suggest one more thing with the groupings of weapons, you can fire freely at one guy without AMS, but use LRM15 to punch right through AMS and then follow with the other LRMs rather than chain firing, or you'd have your missiles do not much due to AMS. Just a quick note. ;)

#9 Graystone1

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

I appreciate the tip, but honestly, I didn't understand the ams part.
(I just did the engine switch).
AMS is a auto machine gun that shooots missiles flying nearby.
How does shooting one volley and then another better than firing them all at once?
It seems like you're giving the enemy's ams time to shoot down more missiles and more time to take shelter.

#10 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Salute

Griffin

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b0fc5af81b31f66

Trashbucket
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a18e9cd0f3b49d

Bow

Edited by muskrat, 06 April 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostGraystone1, on 06 April 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I appreciate the tip, but honestly, I didn't understand the ams part.
(I just did the engine switch).
AMS is a auto machine gun that shooots missiles flying nearby.
How does shooting one volley and then another better than firing them all at once?
It seems like you're giving the enemy's ams time to shoot down more missiles and more time to take shelter.

No, I'm saying to shoot them all at once instead of the usual chain firing (which I think most people would do with a boating system similar to that.) Yeah, so shoot everything over one volley at a time. (If you were chain firing, then at least fire the LRM 15 first then the continuous stream of LRM5s).

#12 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

I know there are good things about the TBT on paper, but please, I recommend you avoid them. While there are rare exceptions, generally when I see a Trebuchet, I see an easy kill. You'll note that most of the weapons are in the arms, and the arms come off like they're made of balsa wood. Adding to the Treb's bad reputation is its oversized frame which makes it very easy to hit from a distance, and the entirely flat torso, which makes it very easy to target open sections. If you're thinking about buying a Trebuchet for any loadout that is possible to do on another mech, buy the other mech instead.

#13 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

If it's LRMs you want to do - the GRF-1N is really tough to beat. You'll get a million different answers to a question like this, but the bottom line is you don't need to be real fancy when you're building a missile platform. All you really need is to have the ability to stream missiles continuously. A good rate of fire, a couple of modules (target info gathering and decay are gimme's), and enough ammo to finish your matches and you're golden.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb42e58edcc8d41

Two rules to live by. Stick with your team. Even at 200-300m, you're insanely valuable. Your rockets will blind targets and hit them very quickly at that range. Just watch your minimap and targeting info and maintain your range at 200+. You'll also be nearly impossible to take out with flanking maneuvers... At least not so long as the rest of your team stays upright. Second rule is chain fire. You'll get ghost heat otherwise, and it's just not worth it. You're firing with this mech pretty much nonstop when you get a solid target. It's an LRM firehose. AMS isn't going to stop you. Even if it's 5 guys huddled with that, you'll keep them all in cover till their ammo runs out. And it will before yours does.

#14 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

I suggest you get a cheap effective Treb-5N or a Kintaro and run LRM30.

#15 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

I much prefer the Griffon, because they have an insanely fast torso twist speed and large twist angle. This is really important when running a fast LRM skirmisher. This is the build I prefer though:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49ab605fe36b4d4

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 07 April 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#16 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

Math says you will be better served with the 55 ton mediums. You get to put more stuff on them with JJs and harder armor. However, I really like the Treb 3C. It can take proper 2xLRM15 with one salvo, or -- if you get bored with LRMing stuff you do not see -- switch to ludicrous speed.

#17 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

View PostModo44, on 07 April 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

However, I really like the Treb 3C. It can take proper 2xLRM15 with one salvo, or -- if you get bored with LRMing stuff you do not see -- switch to ludicrous speed.

Ludicrous speed, LOL.! Dark Helmet.

I bought the Griffin 1N and 3M recently. I just couldn't get the hang of them. I went back to my Trebuchets. I had the 1N basic efficiencies unlocked and I don't know why, I just couldn't score a kill. I ended up selling both of them and when back to my Trebuchets. In hindsight, I wish I had kept them, but wanted to free up mechbay space. C-bills are hard earned, but still "free". MC is the real deal. So I may replace the Griffins one day.

So, 1 vote for the Treb.

Jody

#18 Malorish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Dude, Run a centurion. Tough as nails. Hard as hell to kill.

3 x ALRM 10 build w/Tag. MLas just there as a bluff in case a light closes in on you. Feel free to swap out for another ton of ammo.
CN9-A

Here's an early build I was running with 2x ARLM 10/ER LL. The Tag is a great way to attract attention. I figured I might as well just shoot them and withdraw to cover instead if I can't lock them. Great little build with max survivability and STD engine.
CN9-A
CN9-A (With BAP, minus some ammo)

Another build that's a combo of both above, with NARC.
CN9-A

Here's one with a BAP and Tag:
CN9-A

Edited by Malorish, 07 April 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#19 Graves24

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

I am playing a Mobile LRM Mech aswell but I choose the Shadow Hawk to do the job.

Here is my build: SHD-2D2

It has a good punch with a 30 LRM rocket volley which makes the enemy AMS cry because so many missiles drop on the mech. I choose to add 2 LRM 5s with the 2 LRM 10s aswell because if the enemy does not have AMS you have an insane damage output which is higher than two LRM 15s

Finally two medium lasers because they are cheap and get the job done once thos little light mechs start swarming you and your LRM friends.

AMS on top of it because you can never have enough AMS in your team and it is incredibly useful once you run out of LRM ammo to support your team pushing.

On top of that, the Shadow Hawk is great for scouting if your team doesn't feel like it because it has a good amount of speed and jumpjets.

Edited by Graves24, 08 April 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#20 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

If you want to OP, the SHD-2D2 would be decent with 15-10-5 combo with Artemis and bap and tag, though other variants will end up being very varied and relying on many different styles. Also, while all the Centurions can boat LRMs, I say the CN9-D (the one I'm using to boat LRMs) is probably the best with missiles on Centurions, as it can go supremely fast, and it will give you XL 300, which is the best XL engine in my opinion (with a few others, like XL 255, XL 280, XL 360/350, maybe XL 295). Dual LRM 15s are not bad in the CN9-D, though if you want JJs, the Griffin is best.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users