Balancing The "warning! Targeted!"

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Balancing The "warning! Targeted!" (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you miss the "Warning! Targeted!" info?

1. Yes and would like it back free-for-all (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No. It's bad for the information warfare (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. I'd remain neutral. I'd like to see it back but balanced. (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

So, recently I've been studying about MWO a bit and got reminded of the "Warning! Targeted!" thingy. I mainly pilot a CPLT-C4 and no matter how much I hated enemy knowing when I target them, I've missed the information about being targeted myself.

So, I've searched a bit before posting this and found this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...ress-r-anymore/

The thread is from the time when the mentioned warning became a part of the game. Everyone was able to hear the warning, no cost limit or penalty. Hence, it got removed. There were two suggestions in that thread:
1) Add it to BAP
2) Make it a module

Both of these received a good feedback as a cost to get the warning back. It probably didn't make it back because making it a module would make it a great module for scouts (darn bug-named mechs are already annoying) and adding it to BAP would mean a huge buff to anyone already using it.

I'd say make it an extra module of 0,5t and 1 slot OR implement an (Advanced) ABAP; 2t, 2 slots. 2 tons would be a big cost to those who would want BAP only for the warnings. That way any scout would be able to choose between more map awareness and tonnage.
Also, you wouldn't get any warning if the mech targeting you is inside an ECM bubble.

I know there ain't such a thing in the Tabletop, but feel like it would be a good addition to the game. How many of the game's playerbase is actually really here because of the original tabletop?

Edited by Uthael, 06 April 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Wow ... I never knew this was in the game. It was added and removed while I took a break from the game.

I'm glad I never knew -- it would have been the thing I would have complained the most about.

HELL NO, I don't want my enemies to get a warning that I'm targeting them.

As to how many of us are here because of the original tabletop? A larger percentage than you evidently think. We're nostalgic and are invested in the universe. Players who have never heard of BattleTech/MechWarrior before are the ones that play for a week and then post that they're leaving because they can't handle how hard the game is. Only a small percentage of those actually stay to become veterans.

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

In the novels and source books they routinely mention pilots getting warnings they are targeted. Active vs passive sensors. That being said I dont want anymore noise in the cockpit and the maps are small enough that additional warnings dont seem to be necessary to me.

That might be me though.

#4 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

I did miss the out on the 'warrning' experence, but I don't see the praticality of it.

I see it the exact same as people wanting 3rd person view, i see about 1% of the players using it because it really doesn't help like people thought it would. Knowing you're targeted means nothing. Best case scenario, it lets you know there is a mech around 800m of you.

Now if it was a warning that someones crosshairs or reticule is on you, that's a different story.

#5 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

A visual ONLY indicator would be the best and most unobtrusive way to indicate you are being targeted.

But I think Passive radar should be implemented well before that.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 07 April 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#6 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Possibly as an upgrade to BAP, but I don`t really miss it TBH....

Edited by Zerberus, 07 April 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#7 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Actually I was thinking yesterday, that having some item or something that points a red arrow in the direction that the missiles are coming from at the same as it says "Incoming Missiles"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users