Ammo Explosions Too Random?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Nobody likes losing to a dice roll. Right now ammo explodes 10% of the time when critted, but generally does enough damage to totally destroy your mech (up to 180 damage for LRM ammo, up to 200 damage for SRM ammo, etc...).

If critical hits occur ~40% of the time when hitting internals, and ammo bins are just a fraction of your critical slots, that basically mean 1% to 2% chance of your mech being vaporized just due to bad luck.

Why not reduce the damage by 90% and make the explosion occur 100% of the time? i.e. typical ammo bins would always explode and do a maximum of 15 to 20 damage.
  • Ammo explosion death becomes less random
  • Players can be more intentional about targeting likely ammo locations because effects are more predictable
  • CASE (might) become more useful since explosions would happen regularly
  • Ammo explosions would be roughly equal with Gauss explosions in severity (though still more chances to explode given # of tons of ammo vs. 1 Gauss rifle)

#2 PenitentTangent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

I think the full damage should be delivered with a 90% chance. Ammo detonation is no joke.

#3 Ralziel

• Pip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMoster

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Oh, it's true. People SHOULD be banned from making stupid ideas on the forums.

#4 PenitentTangent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostRalziel, on 08 April 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

Hey, chill out. The guy is just speaking his mind. That's what these forums are for.

#5 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

It used to be that Ammo exploded almost always, and simply having your heat above 80% risked detonating it.

They basically nerfed the ammo explosions, because at that point in the game's development hit detection was really bad, so lasers had a huge advantage.

However, when they fixed hit detection and folks started actually using AC's, they never went back and made ammo explosions common again.. which is why virtually no one uses case.. although apparently CASE doesn't even work right anyway, so whatever.

The answer though is that ammo explosions should basically happen EVERY time ammo is destroyed.

#6 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Getting more ammunition explosions would make more (but not all) players rethink how they design their mechs.
There would be fewer mechs depending solely on ammunition dependent weaponry.

I believe this would make players vary their weaponloadouts more. Less AC40 Jagers, LRM boats etc.
More mechs that have a weapongroup to deal with any situation at any range.

This would be a welcome change to MWO. More skill necessary to become good at the game.

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

100% chance to explode, full damage, might be a better way to balance ballistics than whatever weapon stats they're planning to adjust.

*cough ghostheat cough*

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Currently, ammo explosions are a 10% to utterly vaporize every trace of your existence and a 90% chance to do absolutely nothing.

I believe that they should be a 100% chance to do moderate damage (i.e. 1/10th). Yes, I said moderate. As in, it wouldn't be like setting off a nuke inside your robot. Because then builds that use any decent number of any ammo-based weapons would be horribly crippled. LRMs in particular require way too damn much ammo to last for modest amounts of time, even for relatively small salvo sizes.

All of our weapons in fact require dramatically more tons of ammo than TT ever did, so having our explosion damage set to TT standards (having the rate is fine) doesn't make that much sense in this real-time game...especially when we consider that ammo-consuming weapons were very often inferior to energy weapons in TT (one of the main reasons being their liability to vaporize you when critted out).

I chose the rate to be 100% instead of some other % lower than that because RNG sucks for balancing. For a detailed explanation of why this is so:

Edited by FupDup, 08 April 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#9 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

I believe that they should be a 100% chance to do moderate damage (i.e. 1/10th). Yes, I said moderate. As in, it wouldn't be like setting off a nuke inside your robot.

Because then builds that use any decent number of any ammo-based weapons would be horribly crippled. LRMs in particular require way too damn much ammo to last for modest amounts of time, even for relatively small salvo sizes.

I disagree with moderate damage. Even a 100% chance to explode on destruction is not enough of a drawback for how powerful ballistics can be.

Let's say someone has 1 ton of ammo in a side torso with 9 other slots taken up. A 1 in 10 chance of a crit hitting the ammo, with a 42ish% chance to cause a crit.

0.42 x 0.1 = 4.2% chance for a critical hit to hit the ammo slot.

The only weapons capable of destroying an ammo slot with one hit (10hp) are the AC20/10, Gauss, ER&PPCs.

So most likely you'll need to hit that ammo a second time, (0.42 x 0.1) x (0.42 x 0.1) for a 0.17% chance to get an ammo explosion.

For moderate damage.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostSug, on 08 April 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

I disagree with moderate damage. Even a 100% chance to explode on destruction is not enough of a drawback for how powerful ballistics can be.

Let's say someone has 1 ton of ammo in a side torso with 9 other slots taken up. A 1 in 10 chance of a crit hitting the ammo, with a 42ish% chance to cause a crit.

0.42 x 0.1 = 4.2% chance for a critical hit to hit the ammo slot.

The only weapons capable of destroying an ammo slot with one hit (10hp) are the AC20/10, Gauss, ER&PPCs.

So most likely you'll need to hit that ammo a second time, (0.42 x 0.1) x (0.42 x 0.1) for a 0.17% chance to get an ammo explosion.

For moderate damage.

Using the arbitrary value I chose for "moderate" in my previous post (1/10th), that sets the ammo explosion for most ballistics to right around 15. LRMs would be 19.8. SRMs and MGs would be 20. On paper that sounds weak as heck -- as much damage as a Gauss Rifle. But we need to consider how much internal HP most mechs have in each section.

As a random example, a 65 ton heavy mech has 30 internal HP in each side torso. Assuming only 1 bin is present and the bin is destroyed before his internals take direct damage, he loses half his internal HP. Since no weapon damages components without hurting internal health at the same time, you can add the damage from the normal shot to the ammo explosion damage to equal roughly 25-40 (assuming AC/10/PPC/Gauss/AC/20 hit). A Gauss or AC/20 getting the crit would blow out the side torso outright, and the PPC/AC/10 would leave it on the brink.

On mechs that cannot function without absurdly large amounts of ammo (namely LRM users), the situation would be much worse for them than the laboratory example above. Pretty much all ammo-based builds have weaknesses of their own besides explosions, such as...

A. LRM boats have relatively slow projectiles that never hit the same spot and require a lock on at the time of impact to hit. They also often need some support modules/items (i.e. TAG, Adv. Target Decay), can be trolled by ECM and AMS, eat up a lot of tonnage with the launchers, and require more ammo per weapon than any other weapon system in the game.

B. SRM boats have a hardlocked short range of 270m, spread out damage, and don't even register all of their missiles.

C. Large-scale dakka boats like the Cataphract 4X and 3 UAC/5 Jager can put out some nice damage, but they're also one-trick ponies that can be quickly disabled with focused damage to their squishy side torsos. The Jager also runs out of ammo quickly.

D. The AC/40 Jager has fairly short range and is notorious for its squishy side torsos. Boomcats have a gigantic CT and head.

E. The Catapult A1 and Jenner Oxide are known for being relatively gimped one-trick ponies that are at the mercy of hit detection/ECM (depending on their missile choices) and both have bad hitboxes (Jenner can somewhat mitigate it through high speed).

F. The new Huginn Raven hero is a laughing stock for obvious reasons (light mech without lasers, lulz)

Pretty much every truly good build in this game uses some sort of energy weapon, even if just a pair of medium lasers. Many of the good builds in fact use heavy energy to go with their ammo weapons, because they provide better burst damage (i.e. damage in a single shot) per ton than ballistics do (AC's advantage is mostly the RoF) and in the case of lasers they are far easier to hit with (not everyone is an expert marksman). Nearly all ammo-based weapons have some sort of drawback or another to them, be they Lurms or even the dreaded ACs. Yes, ACs are good, but they pay with tonnage and slots for their goodness.

As an example, an AC/10 + ammo is 15 tons and 10 slots. A PPC weighs 7 tons and takes up 3 slots -- the number of external sinks you want will vary, but if you don't have many other weapons you can just roll with your base 10 DHS. Seeing how the AC/10 is a lot heavier than the PPC, and bulkier, and shorter ranged (the projectile speed makes it impractical to actually hit out to the 3x max range), I expect the AC/10 to be outright superior to the PPC within short to medium ranges. The PPC's advantages are lower weight and slots, fairly fast projectile speed (aiming is easier, especially at range), and it doesn't need to worry about ammo (which can matter in long fights). Even the AC/5 has a fairly similar or slightly larger investment to a PPC, so expecting it to compete against it is not unreasonable. Even the AC/2 has a similar investment as a PPC. The smallest AC takes roughly as much out of your mech as the largest energy weapon.

ACs are nice to have, but you don't want a build with nothing but ACs because of two reasons. First and foremost, a build mixing heavy energy and heavy dakka will have more burst damage and more flexibility than a pure dakka boat (assuming equal weapon tonnage). Secondly, if you aren't a master gunner (which is a very large proportion of the population, including me) then the hitscan nature of lasers can be a lifesaver against fast targets. Mixing energy + ballistics gives you the best of both worlds between burst damage per ton and heat sustainability.

I'm saying this as somebody who refuses to touch mechs that don't have at least 2 ML or 1 LL for energy options (preferably more), based on my bad experiences in the Cat A1 and from beating up enemy energy-less builds.

Edited by FupDup, 08 April 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

If you're worried about your ammo, C.A.S.E.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostSug, on 08 April 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

If you're worried about your ammo, C.A.S.E.

Two things...

A. You missed a lot of the point of my wall o' text above. TL;DR: A lot of weapons (especially missiles) already have drawbacks to using them, and the widely underestimated energy weapons are pretty much a necessity on the majority of serious-business loadouts.

B. CASE sucks popsickles. All it does is contain the damage to a single side torso -- or at least, that's what it's supposed to do by lore. I've heard rumors of it not actually protecting the CT from damage like it's advertised to. And even if it did, it still does nothing to help arms, legs, or XL engines.

I'd rather take a build that only needs an amount of ammo that can all fit into the head and legs (maybe like 1 or 2 tons in the upper body) instead of waste 0.5 tons on CASE. Such builds are actually the optimal builds of MWO right now. Mechs that rely almost or completely on ammo based weapons are usually bad or suboptimal builds, although there are certain a number of reasonably good loadouts that get to that point (i.e. dual Gauss Jager or dakka Cataphract 4X). But, those builds have weaknesses of their own that prevent them from becoming full-on "meta" builds. They appear fairly often in matches, yes, and they do well most of the time, but being effective should not be mistaken for being overpowered.

#13 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Two things...

Couldn't wrap my head around pointing out the weaknesses of certain mechs when I was talking about ammo explosions with an energy vs ballistics mindset.

The line is blurred a bit between AC's and PPCs but for the most part taking ballistics over energy is usually the better choice. All the heat/tonnage/slots/ammo balancing in the world doesn't mean a damn when I can take apart any mech in my Jag's crosshairs in 10 seconds.

There's a post somewhere, I think it might be buried in the What I'm Pointing a Nerf Gun At thread, or maybe it was a tweet, but I think I read a statement that they were going to look into balancing ballistic weapons or at least try to tone them down a bit. In my mind, ;), I think using ammo explosions to give using/boating ballistics a bigger drawback is a better way to go than another Ghost Heat road. Either that or revert the ammo per ton doubling. Hard to beat that delicious pinpoint damage.

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

B. CASE sucks popsickles. All it does is contain the damage to a single side torso -- or at least, that's what it's supposed to do by lore. I've heard rumors of it not actually protecting the CT from damage like it's advertised to. And even if it did, it still does nothing to help arms, legs, or XL engines.

CASE sucks because there's almost no ammo explosions. Even on a mech with every slot occupied by ammo it's still only marginally more useful than a Command Console.

Edited by Sug, 08 April 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostSug, on 08 April 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

Couldn't wrap my head around pointing out the weaknesses of certain mechs when I was talking about ammo explosions with an energy vs ballistics mindset.

The line is blurred a bit between AC's and PPCs but for the most part taking ballistics over energy is usually the better choice. All the heat/tonnage/slots/ammo balancing in the world doesn't mean a damn when I can take apart any mech in my Jag's crosshairs in 10 seconds.

There's a post somewhere, I think it might be buried in the What I'm Pointing a Nerf Gun At thread, or maybe it was a tweet, but I think I read a statement that they were going to look into balancing ballistic weapons or at least try to tone them down a bit. In my mind, ;), I think using ammo explosions to give using/boating ballistics a bigger drawback is a better way to go than another Ghost Heat road. Either that or revert the ammo per ton doubling. Hard to beat that delicious pinpoint damage.

Pointing out the strengths/weaknesses was my overly elaborate/wordy way of saying that I feel most of those builds already have decent risks associated with them -- i.e. adding another risk doesn't seem necessary. Maybe I'm wrong about it or something or on an island, but that's my $0.02.

The best combination for most cases is actually heavy energy + heavy ballistics. The ballistics give you rate of fire and heat efficiency, the energy gives you extra burst damage. It goes together like ham and cheese. Mmmmm... Pure ballistics can be nice at times but they already have their weaknesses. The current annoying FoTM builds like poptart Victors/Highlanders only carry something around 5-6 tons of ammo, so they can stuff it in locations that rarely get hit anyways. The mechs that get hit hard are primarily the overspecialized mechs like Lurmboats that I don't think really need something like this.

Now, if we had a large assault mech that could boat multiple big ballistics in separate body parts (Banshee has them all in one section, which makes it hard to squeeze in cheese and it's a good focus fire target) then we might have some issues.

The mentioning of looking at ACs was made in the VLOG #3, btw.

View PostSug, on 08 April 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

CASE sucks because there's almost no ammo explosions. Even on a mech with every slot occupied by ammo it's still only marginally more useful than a Command Console.

It would still be underwhelming if we had ammo 'splosions up the gazoo because it only helps STD engine mechs' side torsos/CT and *allegedly* doesn't even do that much (if the reports of it not preventing damage to the CT are correct).

Edited by FupDup, 08 April 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostRalziel, on 08 April 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

This is definitely one of your top 10 posts... oh wait.

#16 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

The CASE bug is highly likely to be that the +15% bonus crit damage feeding back from the ammo explosion is not also being contained by CASE.

As its applied after the torso is already gone, it transfers to the CT at (20%?).
Say 3 tons of LRMS go up; 3*240*1.1*0.15*0.20= ~21 damage direct to CT. If you have any previous damage, that will kill most mechs.

#17 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Maybe I'm wrong about it or something or on an island, but that's my $0.02.

On my island I stopped using my Jags because I got bored with the easymode point-click-kill-repeat.

View PostFiona Marshe, on 08 April 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

the +15% bonus crit damage feeding back from the ammo explosion

...wha?

#18 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Just use a CASE bro. I used to run without it, and I died fairly often from Ammo detonations. (Mostly because of the Prominent Machine gun Noobs mounting 6 on a Jager) as such, I got sick of it, and took the time to add a CASE. Now when my Side Torso's get blown off I don't have the random 'Dice roll" for ammo explosions, as such, unless all my weapons are totally blown off I'm normally still in the Fight. (for what little good I do at that point)

#19 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Well at least the OP had made a valid point - you can argue about 10% full damage or 90% no damage or 100% moderate damage.... problem is - there is also random in game - to hit the ammunition bin at all.

I can remember a really interesting fight - short after i bought the YLW...i stood face to face with another YLW...both we fired at each others right side... non of us moved or turned.... it was an unspoken duel of gun mens.... my shots hit his right torso in the same moment as his shot have broken through my armor....difference - his ammo blew up - i didn't get a critical... he died i lived - pure random nothing about skill.

So the full critical hit system is a random mess - taken 1:1 from TT and that it doesn't cause shit storms is simple because - your Gyro could not be critted, your engine could not be critted and your leg activators could not be critted (not to mention the stuff in your cockpit) If there would be a 40% chance that your mech falls over every time your CT armor is gone because some Machine Gun bullet hit the chin of your Atlas - that destroys your Gyro - that is located in the behind the Medium Laser

#20 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostSug, on 08 April 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

On my island I stopped using my Jags because I got bored with the easymode point-click-kill-repeat.

That's how all direct fire is ATM, barring large-scale pure energy boats.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users