Hardcore Mode - Less Armor

7 replies to this topic

#1 Albatroz

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Less armor, simple as that. Few well placed shots take you down. Make you less dependent on your team, presents a fast paced game.

One good pilot can really make a difference that way, and I really think it´s more realistic too.

Being with a bad team won´t hurt so much anymore and you´ll actually be able to make an alpha strike on an autistic lrm boat back and take him down as it should be WITHOUT having a high damage mech. Nothing worst than shooting someone rear torso with everything you got after making some nice flanking maneuver just to see that mech slowly turn your direction with his whole team and break you into pieces.

Yeah, snipers will be a pain in the ass, but that´s the way they are in real life too. And light mechs will be able to hurt them and lrm boats really good too.

Just an option, I would play that, Just that, btw.

Edited by Albatroz, 09 April 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I've mentioned something like this before, since the current game uses double the armor values from Battletech it would simply be a 1x value for the hardcore mode (or just double weapon damage for the same effect if they don't want to deal with half armor values when you divide odd number by 2).

#3 Albatroz

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 09 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

since the current game uses double the armor values from Battletech

Exactly! We´re not even asking to go against the canon, it´s the opposite.

People are focusing on 3rd view mode, that´s nothing. Too much armor changes the whole game.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Mechs with less armor in tabletop last 30 to 120 seconds (3 to 12 turns).
Mechs in MWO with double armor last 3 to 12 seconds.

Of course the real reason those mechs lasted that long, is that an AC/20 did 20 damage in 10 seconds. A PPC did 10 damage in 10 seconds. An AC/2, MG, and Flamer each did 2 damage in 10 seconds.
In MWO, a flamer does 7 damage in 10 seconds, an MG does 10 damage in 10 seconds, an AC/2 does 38 damage in 10 seconds, and an AC/20 does 60 damage in 10 seconds (but 140 in 20 seconds).

Most are fighting for more armor.
Why would you want less? Unless of course weapons were to get a different style of functionality like damage over time instead of one shot 20 to 55 damage.

You already have your hardcore mode.
There is a small series of other games to satisfy that urge if you like dying in a single shot.
Gundam Online, and Hawken.

Edited by Koniving, 09 April 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#5 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

1: TT is based on dice rolls. Extra armor is needed in this game to make up for the fact that your weapons actually shoot where you aim them.

2: This game already has a Hardcore Mode. It's called Piloting a Medium. It turns out, oddly enough, that this community in general isn't interested in actually challenging themselves.

#6 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Sometimes I think we need a "Closed Beta Retro mode" server.. that way people can play "Instagib hunt the shutdown spider after dropping at 75%"WarriorOnline and come to understand whay it wasn`t a good idea the last time and it probably won`t be one this time....

Edited by Zerberus, 09 April 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Albatroz

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 April 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

You already have your hardcore mode.
There is a small series of other games to satisfy that urge if you like dying in a single shot.
Gundam Online, and Hawken.

I already explained myself: I don´t want to get killed in a single shot, I want to be able to kill faster. I want to depend less on bad teams and be able to really make a diference on my own.

I don´t know Gundam, but Hawken is beautiful but too arcade, it´s exactly what I don´t want here. In Hawken you take forever to take down one mech before overheating.

Less armor changes game dynamics. You have to be more cautious and use your head. It would be an option. If you want more armor, don´t use it, of course.

#8 Albatroz

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostZerberus, on 09 April 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Sometimes I think we need a "Closed Beta Retro mode" server.. that way people can play "Instagib hunt the shutdown spider after dropping at 75%"WarriorOnline and come to understand whay it wasn`t a good idea the last time and it probably won`t be one this time....

You´re right about that. I´m new, I don´t know what they tried before. But I´m used to hardcore simulation. I know what is to die in the beginning of the game. And I know how rewarding it is to be able to overcome this and be a good player. Just that. I´m not asking to change it for everyone, just for those who wants a more challenging mode.

Btw, I pilot a Hunchie... love mediuns!

Edited by Albatroz, 09 April 2014 - 01:07 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users