950 replies to this topic

#561 Knight_Invictus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

YES!!! MADCAT IS MY FAVORITE MECH!!! I can hardly wait until June 17th.

It looks outstanding.

Knight4Him

#562 Deshiva

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

I think the mech looks a bit tall, but i do love the design otherwhise. That said im concerned with the lrm racks, if they will count as torso hitboxes i predict alot of cheap shots. Glad clan engines need both sides wrecked atleast. Still going to main it. If i understod the omnipod system for this game right, it's going to be fun trying different hardpoint setups

#563 Thell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Dear lord, they give you people a bone and you bite the hand. Whine whine whine.

#564 Barrett

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Looks like Tyrion Lannister...on stilts.

#565 Vyrago

• PipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostThell, on 11 April 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Dear lord, they give you people a bone and you bite the hand. Whine whine whine.

Except they want $240 for the bone.

#566 Sharknoms

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 129 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostVyrago, on 11 April 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

Except they want $240 for the bone.

Don't buy it and wait for the C-Bill-Version.

#567 Thell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

$55 or free if you wait for the cbill one. Big deal.

#568 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostJosef Koba, on 11 April 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

The reflexive histrionics, name calling, and f-bomb dropping is probably not going to help in any meaningful way. No matter what PGI came up with in terms of the iconic Mad Cat's MWO presentation, tons of people were going to be unhappy...

OK, so if all they get are compliments, then how the heck will they ever to their job better?

While some of the remarks re. PGIs work may hurt their feeling, the fact remains that they are a company that relies on pleasing their customers in order to stay afloat.

If people that don't like the design for the Madcat released here. (and this appears to be a large majority so far). Simply don't like the design, but say nothing, and then don't buy the design, or even stop playing because they aren't enjoying themselves either due to game play, artwork, lack of depth in the meta, or other reasons, well then "being nice" is actually DAMAGING to PGI.

There is no more useful communication between a company that relies on sales and it's company than criticism, there is a common thread in the dislike for this version of the Madcat so far, it's bulky, chunky, doesn't look "right" for a Madcat.

Now there will always be "mean" criticism" here because it is a video game, it's got a huge history with lots of very longtime fans, and this is the internet.

So they can take that useful criticism (with some spice added to keep them aware of what their customers want, or they can pretend that the forums are a marketing device and censor disparaging remarks in the hopes that new consumers will think it's perfect. In the end, I think taking the spicy remarks will be more helpful for a long term strategy.

This Madcat looks nothing like the concept art that probably sold quite a few clan packs. It's very bulky, and looks like the modeler/artlead might be technically capable, but not so much at overall design. It's simply not a good looking version of this mech in the overall history of it's various visions. It doesn't look agile, doesn't have the feel of being different like the clans had when first introduced. It seems like an ostensibly different Cataphract. (probably certainly uses the same animation)

It wouldn't take that many changes to make the mech look better, slightly thinner pelvis with the upper legs moved in, and a similarly modified upper arm (just thinner upper are, not necessarily like the original, just a bit thinner)

IT looks like an Inner Sphere version of the Madcat, not a clan Madcat.

#569 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostRubidiy, on 11 April 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

All of it was pushed to it's limits, but considering game balance, it was made nicely. Yes, Mad Cat could've looked better, but it would've become unbalanced. You may scorn about it's legs, but you should be definitely grateful for it's smaller cockpit.

I can understand some of the balance issues.

I never mentioned the 'size' of the legs (width) being an issue, only that in the first few screenshots, it looked like the mech was 3/4 legs, and only 1/4 upper half. :)

#570 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 11 April 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

This better mean we are getting a Marauder...

Only if PGI wants to be sued by some Japanese anime company for 'copyright infringement of Macross/Robotech'..... its the only reason you hardly ever see "Marauder" pictures anywhere.

#571 New Breed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

The legs kind of suck, but that will hardly stop me from using that beast.

I'm hoping they use different hit boxes for the missile racks though.

#572 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostRhapsody Repine, on 11 April 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Only if PGI wants to be sued by some Japanese anime company for 'copyright infringement of Macross/Robotech'..... its the only reason you hardly ever see "Marauder" pictures anywhere.

The reseen Marauder would be pretty legally safe, though I don't like it as much as the original, it's not the name that they are concerned about, but the look. Do somethign non Macross but looking pretty good, and I might be lured to buy it. Marauder is my all time favorite mech.

Shimmering Sword's version of the reseen is pretty decent, and legally safe as it doesn't resemble the unseen much at all. Still not a "True" Marauder imo, but I'll take what I could get.

Edited by verybad, 11 April 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#573 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 11 April 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

EDIT: I haven't seen any confirmation yet, but I wouldn't bet that if you bought the a la carte mechs instead of the package that you'd get the special geometry version instead of the standard version.

The A La Carte's get the same 'mech's as the other packages (looks, geometry, and the like). What they DONT get, are the war-horns, and other stuff.

#574 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 11 April 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Posted Image

It doesn´t look better from that side either. The legs are too fat and the torso is too short. The "nose" should be about 50% longer.
The original Timberwolf had this look that just screams "fast and dangerous", a mix of shark, bird of prey and attack chopper. Here I see nothing of this.

Too say something positive: I like the paint job.

#575 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostPACoFist, on 11 April 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

It doesn´t look better from that side either. The legs are too fat and the torso is too short. The "nose" should be about 50% longer.
The original Timberwolf had this look that just screams "fast and dangerous", a mix of shark, bird of prey and attack chopper. Here I see nothing of this.

Too say something positive: I like the paint job.

I have to agree.. While the two newest screenshots are a marked improvement (the two ice-planet ones). The legs look better 'length wise', but 'bulk' wise... they look to thick. Looks almost as if you picked up one of the legs, and put it 'inside' the CT... the Leg would be the same width as the CT is.

Simply making them maybe 1/4 or even 1/5 thinner, would probably make it look closer to a 'sleek/fast' killing machine.

#576 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

View Postverybad, on 11 April 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

This Madcat looks nothing like the concept art that probably sold quite a few clan packs.

Uhm, no. It looks almost 100% like the concept art. When you open the clan page, you have the big Mad Cat on top of it.

#577 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 11 April 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

The orange/grey/flourescent green pictures are essentially the special "Phoenix" variants of the Clan packages. Now look at the legs of the standard variant:

Posted Image

Notice how it's flat and blocky. The screenshots are showing the standard version of the MadCat/Timberwolf Prime

Now go back to the clan package page, click the link to show the images of the mechs, and notice the difference in geometry between the special variants and standard variants.

And why do you think the complains are about round or blocky edges?
it is the thickness which makes the model out of proportion... notice how it looks nimbler and thinner in the above concept.

they just need to slightly (about 10%) reduce the size of the thighs and make it crouch more in idle stance for it to resemble the above concept... and then you have a winner.
In fact... i prefer the revealed design compared to the old drawings or the ones in MW2, MW3 and MW4. Just with a little bit thinner thighs and more crouching stance.

Edited by Navid A1, 11 April 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#578 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

*Reminds people of good photography* on page 26.
If only if Lordred took the shots; the whole "3/4th of the mech is legs" misconception could've been avoided.

#579 BLACKFIRE

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 10 April 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

Did someone say cardboard boxes?

Posted Image

EVEN THAT CARDBOARD BOX MECH WITH THE CUTE KITTY HAS THE RIGHT LEG DESIGN!!! FAIL PGI!!!

#580 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 11 April 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Bulkier bodies means the metals used in its construction are not as strong. The Clan Timberwolf had the skinnier arms and legs because they didnt NEED bulkier arms and legs to maintain the chassi so they are able to divert more tonnage to weapons and eqiupment.

Look at any modern main battle tank and you will see blocky and bulkier looks then any tanks outside the Pz series and the WWI types. Bulkier bodies does NOT mean the metals used in construction are weak, it points to a honeycomb armour design which actually use less materials but require a more technicaly advanced production line, i.e. typicaly clan thinking/tech.

Actually I would go so far as to say that rounded and curved design is a sign of lower tech standards where you have to try to beef up the armor value by trying to deflect penetration angle unlike modern armor.

That being said, I am actually quite happy with the look. I feel its a good thing PGI makes this iconic mech more of "their" mech then try to pay homage to the 1980s look the old drawings have.

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users