Timberwolf Spotted

152 replies to this topic

#21 woozldoozl

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

The legs look out of proportion. Arms and upper legs are pretty thin in the original design.
This new design looks like its made with legos. To blocky, to fat.
Go for a more rounded, slim design!
The original Timberwolf looked like a runner, this thing looks like it got swollen infected legs.

#22 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 April 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

I don't know about you guys, but honestly this one /looks/ like an actual mech, instead of the shoe string design of the older games.

Also, the hit boxes can be adjusted (if they need to) to fit later. I am actually tempted to upgrade to the Timberwolf pack right now (been doing the 30 dollars a month crawl to conserve expenses). However I am waiting to see what the Beta, Gamma, and warhorns do/ look like.

EDIT: because grammar and stuff

My issue is that the proportions look way off from the concept art.

I would alo like to point out that we're till in Alpha stages for this game, so just relax. I mean, this can't be what the actual game i going to be, since they are still adding all of those features they promised in 2011, no worries, just wait half a decade, it'll be there

#23 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

proper proportions are an upcoming feature that will be introduced at a time yet to be determined.

#24 MechWarriorFluffy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Can someone explain why this thing has hardpoints to begin with? It's an OMNI. The entire purpose of the OmniMech design was so that you could swap out energy for ballistic, missiles for energy, so on and so forth. Giving it set hardpoints defeats that purpose.

Oh, and it looks hideous. Those giant legs with that small body do NOT work. Except as a joke.

#25 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Looks like a phract that needs a diet, not scared yet xD

#26 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

I hope it's just camera angle that makes it look like that, ie. the viewer is in a shorter mech or closer to the ground, looking up at it, rather than in a mech of the same height looking straight at it.

#27 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

I like it and the mickey mouse ears aren't huge like the catapult. Hardly looks like it holds LRM20's though and why do people like skinny legs on their timber wolf?

Edited by Grimwill, 10 April 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#28 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostCHH Badkarma, on 10 April 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

We should raise a stink about this. If they biffed the Timberwolf, the most iconic clan mech imagine what they will do to the rest of them? At this point I feel like I am totally going to get screwed after paying top dollar for my clan pack

I don't really feel like they have 'biffed' the Timber Wolf. It's a tad odd looking, but overall I like it and it's more modern design as opposed to the very spindly arms and huge missile boxes it used to have. It could be a bit more rounded int he legs, but overall it isn't bad looking (other than that horrendous first screenshot).

#29 MW Chrisgio

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 21 posts
  • LocationGermany Hannover

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

hi, at first i have to say sorry, cause my english isn´t really good.

But, .... i think the legs are too big .. or the Torso too small...

than i hope that we get a few more informations about the other configurations and mechs.

#30 Grumbling Coot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I actually like this design. Of course, I like MW2's version the best, but this one isn't as bad as most of you are saying. You had to expect it to be blockier than past versions because of the art style of MWO and because of performance considerations (round surfaces = bad for performance). Considering this, they did a pretty good job of maintaining the overall look of the mech.

In addition, if they do the hit boxes right, it actually stands a chance of being a fun mech to drive.

#31 Argent Kaiser

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

I Am not 100% but I think that the oversized legs is due more to the camera angle and the fish eye effect put on the pic. I say this with conviction only becasue when the released the pics of the phoenix mechs the arms on the Thunderbolt were MASSIVE, but when they were finaly delivered the arms were not nearly as big as they appeared to be. I hope this is the case because other than that I love this mech

#32 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostCHH Badkarma, on 10 April 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I think it needs adjustment. Way to leggy and way to blocky.

I agree in principle with your assessment. The Legs are the weak part, so yes, they'll need to make some changes.

#33 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

I am about 99.99% sure the leg issue is due to camera angle and the effects they used to "photoshop" the screenshot...

#34 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Someone on reddit posted up two more screenshots - It's infinitely better looking in these.

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostGyrok, on 10 April 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

I am about 99.99% sure the leg issue is due to camera angle and the effects they used to "photoshop" the screenshot...

Best theory I've seen so far is that they snapped the image from a free-floating cockpit cam, but the .cfg was set for a wide FOV. Combined with the low angle it gives a fish-eye effect.

#35 Double Edge

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

The Legs look rather bulky. Im not saying it will be a bad mech, but it is the most iconic mech in all of MechWarrior, and you figure they would put and equal amount of detail into it to keep us from complaining. Like right now ;)

#36 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, those screenies look tons better. Thanks, Dakkaface.

#37 Ansgar Odinson

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

The Timberwolf looks awful. Legs overly bulky, the cockpit is smashed and snub nosed, and the shoulders are flat and oddly blocky. I feel bad about pre ordering this now. Over all this mech just looks bad.

#38 Em3r4ld

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 45 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGloucestershire, UK

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostMechWarriorFluffy, on 10 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Can someone explain why this thing has hardpoints to begin with? It's an OMNI. The entire purpose of the OmniMech design was so that you could swap out energy for ballistic, missiles for energy, so on and so forth. Giving it set hardpoints defeats that purpose.

Oh, and it looks hideous. Those giant legs with that small body do NOT work. Except as a joke.

Someone hasn't read the dev blog on how they're trying to balance omnitech...

#39 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Yeh but in those new screeshots the arms look like tree trunks. I have ALWAYS said that the designs are just too blocky. If LL could pull off some curves, then surely MWO can pull off some cuuuuurves!

So many recycled joints and skins... ..at a glance the legs look like they just thinned out the catapult geometry..

Edited by White Bear 84, 10 April 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#40 blackcatf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAuldhouse, Skye Federation, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostDakkaface, on 10 April 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

Someone on reddit posted up two more screenshots - It's infinitely better looking in these.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Best theory I've seen so far is that they snapped the image from a free-floating cockpit cam, but the .cfg was set for a wide FOV. Combined with the low angle it gives a fish-eye effect.

Thanks for those, definitely better POV that the first ones I saw.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users