Why No Mrms In The Game?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious: Why are there no Medium Range, lock on Missiles in the game? Anybody who has played MW4: Mercs knows what I'm talking about.

No, I'm not making another "which this was like MW4" thread, I'm just curious if anyone has heard if they'll ever implement that into the game.

#2 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

This game follows a 1:1 timeline; they are not introduced for several more years. Seven, to be precise.

Edited by 101011, 13 April 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#3 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

They aren't invented until 3058.

#4 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

no idea if they will put them in MWO. MRMs are 3058 tech and I think the design team is still working at 3048-3050 tech levels which would most likely be the reason they are not in the game right now.

Hope that helps

#5 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

IIRC, they were 3058 or something, also I'm also pretty sure they were dumfire like SRMs

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 April 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

IIRC, they were 3058 or something, also I'm also pretty sure they were dumfire like SRMs

Mostly true, although SRMs had rudimentary guidance, while MRMs (and rocket launchers) were fully dumbfire. This was represented by a +1 to hit modifier.

Edited by Mcgral18, 13 April 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#7 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

If we won't see MRM anytime soon then we won't see a Bloodasp (original, not that silly thing from MechAssault 2) anytime soon either. This makes me sad. ;-;

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

View Post101011, on 13 April 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

This game follows a 1:1 timeline; they are not introduced for several more years. Seven, to be precise.

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 13 April 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

If we won't see MRM anytime soon then we won't see a Bloodasp (original, not that silly thing from MechAssault 2) anytime soon either. This makes me sad. ;-;

Technically the timeline is shot to hell, since the Clans have already invaded and conquered some territory by now, unless I am hugely mistaken. Yet we don't have Clan mechs, much less CW.

Since this game is drifting (more like Damn the torpedoes!! Full Speed Ahead!! but I am trying to be nice) from it's roots as a Sim, and moving more toward the arcade aspects, I fully expect the timeline to be accelerated in the near future.

That way they can introduce more mechs/gear etc to keep people playing and buying stuff at the rate they have become accustomed to. I am not hating on them making money, just aggravated that this game is taking a different direction.

#9 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

View Post101011, on 13 April 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

There is no timeline. Maybe a one time, when the world was young and PGI was new, but not anymore. Its 3050 (again) for all intensive purposes right now. A time jump will most likely happen sometime (summer) in 2016, letting us play with CW and everything in 3050 before they jump to the next big thing, the Fed Com Civil War. That next block of time to play with and on, puts in a whole bunch of new mechs, including IS Omni mechs. They will most likely have a 3060 or something, package to buy all the mechs, much like we did with Founders and all other packages. This gives PGI a big "lump sum" of money to work on and with, although the Clan one came far too soon on the heels of the Phoenix Packages. Best thing for them to do when said package is done? Wait for ALL of the mechs to roll out in C-bill form (from the prior package) before announcing the next package.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

It doesnt really follow any timeline. If PGI wanted to give us MRMs a few years early, they could, and nobody would really care.

In fact I think PGI releasing new IS weapons early alongside clantech would make a lot of sense, since it would give IS players a reason to keep playing IS mechs. Guardian ECM already does everything Angel ECM does (and more), so theres precedent.

With clan tech coming theres little or no reason to keep playing IS mechs. Since clans will not only get a more diverse range of weapons but will also get more diverse builds because their mechs have interchangeable hardpoints as well as weapons that take up considerably less tonnage/crits. Customization for IS mechs has become completely stagnant and IS could really use some new weapons/equipment to keep them interesting to play.

Edited by Khobai, 13 April 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#11 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

We don't get into medium range in this game, long range only.

#12 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

MRMs are coming but at a later date and time.

#13 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts
  • LocationKentucky, United States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

More weapons and modules would be excellent, and there are probably four people in the world who actually give a crap about The Timeline ™ . We'll all just pretend they're prototypes.

MRMs are my kind of missile weapon, suitable for the classic "support" or backup side launcher that adds a little oomph to your intermediate range assault.

Man, we need more weapons. :-\

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostKhobai, on 13 April 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

-snip-

With clan tech coming theres little or no reason to keep playing IS mechs.
-snip-

Well, that depends on just how PGI chooses to handle the stats of the Clan mechs and their technology... Although, either way I'll probably at least try a Ryoken at the very least just for funzies.

#15 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts
  • LocationKentucky, United States

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 April 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

Well, that depends on just how PGI chooses to handle the stats of the Clan mechs and their technology... Although, either way I'll probably at least try a Ryoken at the very least just for funzies.

It's so silly and premature to assume that Clantech is going to mothball IS Mechs. I mean, seriously. I sincerely doubt people are just going to mass-sell their carefully-elited 'Mechs, and that notwithstanding, it's not like people forsook IS Mechs in old MW games, either.

So knee-jerk.

#16 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 April 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

However Tonnage and Crits alone, regardless of what they do to the rest of the clan weapons. Are two things that cannot be changed on any weapon in this game. ergo, hardlocked. Only if Clan weapons shoot mewing kittens for guns and pillows for missiles, might cause people to pause if Clans are worth it, even with better RoF AC's (they get UAC only or LBX) or better PPC's (ER only, might stay at 15 damage but with a super long CD). We really won't know till june because PGI is keeping it all under wraps.

I guarantee you Dollars to Doughnuts, if PGI put out a FULL list of ALL the Clan weapons, and ALL the Alt Configs hardpoints. People that are still on the fence as to weather or not buy a clan pack...just might (more like would) start forking over the dough to be the first to get there grubby paws on the sexy tech. It would also bring some piece of mind to those who already HAVE invested into a clan pack (a goldie in my case :o ).

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 13 April 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

However Tonnage and Crits alone, regardless of what they do to the rest of the clan weapons. Are two things that cannot be changed on any weapon in this game. ergo, hardlocked. Only if Clan weapons shoot mewing kittens for guns and pillows for missiles, might cause people to pause if Clans are worth it, even with better RoF AC's (they get UAC only or LBX) or better PPC's (ER only, might stay at 15 damage but with a super long CD). We really won't know till june because PGI is keeping it all under wraps.

I guarantee you Dollars to Doughnuts, if PGI put out a FULL list of ALL the Clan weapons, and ALL the Alt Configs hardpoints. People that are still on the fence as to weather or not buy a clan pack...just might (more like would) start forking over the dough to be the first to get there grubby paws on the sexy tech. It would also bring some piece of mind to those who already HAVE invested into a clan pack (a goldie in my case :o ).

Yeah, the exact weapon stats are one of the main things holding me back. I understand that they want to tone down the level of hilarious cheese that the Clanz were in TT, and it's something I even suggest it myself sometimes (albeit through vastly different weapon mechanics like having Clan pulse lasers be "laser machine guns," Clan SSRMs use MW4-style aiming, etc.) although going too far in the other direction is just as bad.

The main thing I'm waiting on is the stats of the CERPPC, because I want to know just how good of a troll the Puma will be. If PGI lets the CERPPC do its full 15 damage, and lets us fire 2 at a time without incurring Posted Image heat, then I might very well buy a little Puma and a few other mechs to go with (because, just buying 1 mech alone is a waste due to the high costs). I want a 97.2 kph energy Gausscat so bad...just imagine the kind of rage that would cause. :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by FupDup, 13 April 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#18 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

It's so silly and premature to assume that Clantech is going to mothball IS Mechs.

no its not. because the only way clantech wont mothball IS mechs is if clan tech is unplayably bad.

a clan lrm20 is 5 tons. an IS lrm20 is 10 tons. so the only way that balances out is if the clan lrm20 is half as good.

The main thing I'm waiting on is the stats of the CERPPC, because I want to know just how good of a troll the Puma will be

The clan erppc is 6 tons and 2 crit slots compared to the IS ERPPC which is 7 slots and 3 crit slots. But the clan one does 50% more damage! So the only way that would be balanced is if they gave the clan erppc an immensely long cooldown of like 7 seconds.

The only way clan tech can be balanced with IS tech is if its nerfed so badly that its practically unuseable. The more likely scenario is that clan tech will be outright better than IS tech and the game will be a hugely unbalanced mess for 6-12 months until PGI finally gets around to balancing it.

Edited by Khobai, 13 April 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#19 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostKhobai, on 13 April 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

no its not. because the only way clantech wont mothball IS mechs is if clan tech is unplayably bad.

a clan lrm20 is 5 tons. an IS lrm20 is 10 tons. so the only way that balances out is if the clan lrm20 is half as good.

Not necessarily. Remember, the *current* plan is that PGI will restrict your Omnimechs to their stock engine, internal type, and armor type (maybe even armor points, depending on how you interpret VLOG #2 ). What this means is that while you have much smaller and lighter guns, you also don't have as much raw free space as an IS mech of similar weight (usually).

This doesn't completely get rid of the size advantage, but it does noticeably reduce it in a number of cases. Of course, there are some "Goldilocks" type of base configs like the Ryoken that don't have very many weaknesses built in. And then again, there are also really crappy ones like the Hellbringer (65 ton heavy with Cicada armor!) and the Uller (Locust armor and 97.2 kph speed...lulz).

#20 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

What this means is that while you have much smaller and lighter guns, you also don't have as much raw free space as an IS mech of similar weight

No what it means is only certain omnimechs will get used while others wont get used at all. We already know PGIs omnimech system makes about half the clan mechs dead on arrival.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users