Bt /w Brp System

3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

I feel stupid for even having to ask this. My RPG group has never tried playing BattleTech before. We have a lot of experience in the D20 systems, and in recent years, have moved to the Call of Cthulhu system. My group has only recently branched out and used the BRP system, but at least they're familiar with it.

Has anyone run BT games using BRP? Your thoughts? How does mech combat translate to this system?

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 14 April 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

I feel stupid for even having to ask this. My RPG group has never tried playing BattleTech before. We have a lot of experience in the D20 systems, and in recent years, have moved to the Call of Cthulhu system. My group has only recently branched out and used the BRP system, but at least they're familiar with it.

Has anyone run BT games using BRP? Your thoughts? How does mech combat translate to this system?

I'm no classical RPG gamer.... but you should take a look into the RPG Rule Setting
http://bg.battletech.com/?p=5062

The difference is that the RPG uses a similar system to classical RPG - while Mech Combat uses another scale - tactical scale.
There are ways to translate RPG values into BattleTech values and vice versa.
There are also values and perks that can "increase" the ability of you pilot. for example gunnery/missile needs other attributes as gunnery/ballistics.

I also have wasted tons of hours to find a handle to transform those values into another system - (CORPS)

#3 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

We've got the quick-start guide, and I was going to run that by default unless someone came along here and had some good pointers for running BT in BRP. Really, it all seems translateable with most other systems right up until the point where you hop in a mech - at which point this QSG quickly shrugs its shoulders and says, "Go buy the full version".

Also - why in the world does that webpage hate Chrome?!

#4 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 14 April 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Really, it all seems translateable with most other systems right up until the point where you hop in a mech - at which point this QSG quickly shrugs its shoulders and says, "Go buy the full version".

There is an introductory rulebook that will cover all your needs about 'Mech construction, to-hit modifiers, rules of engagement, and all the little things. I do believe it also covers the pilot-skill modifier, which you could also apply to other mechanics that do not usually require one.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users