- - - - -

Hang In There New Players.....

21 replies to this topic

#1 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'm even! From .35 to .105....huzzah! Only took me 195 matches.....lol....man you can tell I don't play many fps!

New players (myself included) hang in there, if someone as below par as myself can grind to an even score you will probably do it in half the time all is not lost!

Also, the matchmaking does drop you into a lower ELO so you can catch up, matches got decidedly easier when I dropped to .35, then ramped up as I was around .80, so it's definatley the perseverance game.

Edit: Where do I start?....lol

Edited by Swinebeast, 14 April 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#2 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Cake? Is this New Player Help?

Edited by DavidHurricane, 14 April 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#3 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

That's more like it. Maybe put it in the main post and change the title for the sake of the moderators.

I have to agree, patience is key (both in stats and in tactics).

#4 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Satisfactory? ;)

#5 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

NO!

... actually yes.

My KDR: 0.69. It was at about two, but I had a really bad day a few days ago.

#6 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Lol, thanks David.
Yeah you get some shockers, it's like golf, one day I feel like Tiger Woods the next I play from sand trap to sand trap....lol

Edited by Swinebeast, 14 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#7 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hmmm... Actually win/loss is a better measurement of ELO not KDR.

#8 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Anything you call a win .. is a win. A 1 to 1 KD is worthy of a goal for any casual player.
So grats on your hard work :)

#9 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Nice job OP. Took me a bit longer (prob 600+) before I got into the green on both K/D and W/L.

To new players (saying this as a fairly new player 3 months in), I wouldn't worry about numbers too much. Focus on having fun, learning the basics of the game and building up your arsenal. If you want a way to improve your numbers as fast as possible, find people to play with. Voice comms is OP. I'd say while pugging, I'm lucky to win half my games. When I'm running with a premade it's more like 75% (this is all anecdotal of course, though it'd be cool if PGI had an option for us to see these numbers).

K/D is a bit different for me personally because I find it's much easier to improve it while pugging. If my build is pretty optimized, even when I'm getting stomped 0-9, I can override shutdown and hope to take out at least one of the bad guys to break even. It comes down to the mech and build itself too. My CTF-3D and SHD-2D2 have K/D's near 3. My RVN-2X posts a much lower 0.56.

But, a part of the game that appeals to me is the ability to experiment and see what you can get away with and play chassis that aren't considered "GoD-ti3r." Not everyone is looking to min/max.

#10 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 14 April 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

To new players (saying this as a fairly new player 3 months in), I wouldn't worry about numbers too much. Focus on having fun, learning the basics of the game and building up your arsenal. If you want a way to improve your numbers as fast as possible, find people to play with. Voice comms is OP. I'd say while pugging, I'm lucky to win half my games. When I'm running with a premade it's more like 75% (this is all anecdotal of course, though it'd be cool if PGI had an option for us to see these numbers).

I would say driving the idea that 'Voice comms is OP' into new players does not help them at all.
In fact gives them a bad preconception on game play.

Pre made groups and voice comms does not automatically make one a better player.
If you are bad.. you are bad..You have to find out what you are doing wrong and improve.
Having a better player on voice comms guiding you along could help greatly.
Don't expect people to carry to win and be happy with it...

Ultimately the general rule of solo pug is kill/damage as many as you can and as fast as you can and usually that will lead to victory. (*yes yes.. there are still various scenarios.. This is generally true.)

#11 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks guys, am pretty stoked, climbing still 1.09, good to see green numbers, win loss is about the same. Interesting the cascade effect the game has, how one player being able to pull their weight starts slightly tipping the win/loss stats also.
Biggest thing I have learned (a lot more needed) is when to push and when not to, knowing the "Risk vs Success" balance on the battlefield. Unfortunately it can only come from experience (again still a lot to learn), which equates to making many mistakes and having a lot of perseverance.
Next goals, master my FB and get the hell out of Charlie lance....lol....

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostSwinebeast, on 14 April 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

Thanks guys, am pretty stoked, climbing still 1.09, good to see green numbers, win loss is about the same. Interesting the cascade effect the game has, how one player being able to pull their weight starts slightly tipping the win/loss stats also.
Biggest thing I have learned (a lot more needed) is when to push and when not to, knowing the "Risk vs Success" balance on the battlefield. Unfortunately it can only come from experience (again still a lot to learn), which equates to making many mistakes and having a lot of perseverance.
Next goals, master my FB and get the hell out of Charlie lance....lol....

Yes. One of the most tricky part to learn is when to push and when to wait. High learning curve and this dependent on team load out, skill level of pugs on your team, opponents, etc...
Luckily I would say MWO matchmaking is committed once you press the launch button and 'experience level' is not display.
TitanFall fail badly in this area.. 90% You know when you going to stomp or get stomp because the experience level is right next to your name for public display.

#13 Swinebeast

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

Interesting point, my win loss has almost exactly followed my kill/death stats, I figured it was the small percentage I may have been able to influence when possible, say one in 10 or 15.
But maybe I havnt played enough to see the full data. What's the norm on win/loss vs kill/death?, for players that have more matches under their belt with a high Kill/Death?

Actually the influence of group drops would be another factor, probably hard to get accurate data on just how much influence a PUG could ultimately have on average.

Edited by Swinebeast, 14 April 2014 - 11:41 PM.

#14 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

"One of the most tricky part to learn is when to push and when to wait"

-ShinVector

This is so true. Remember when i was new. Hopped in to a game -Lets go to the enemy and kill them yay!.. got ganged by entire enemy team.. Fine! Lets not just go there.

Game has like a softening up period, early game, snipers and LRM do their work.
A middle period, brawls, flanks.
And Late game, where many mechs are severely damaged and fighting to kill of the last of the enemy and take caps if needed.

Lights are effective in all 3 stages and have plenty on their plate thru out the game.

Edited by Turist0AT, 15 April 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#15 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Also don't forget how much a new mech with no basics is much worse than the mastered mech you're used to. Don't waste cbills by selling it right away, play it out a bit then make up your mind.

#16 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostSwinebeast, on 14 April 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'm even! From .35 to .105....huzzah! Only took me 195 matches.....lol....man you can tell I don't play many fps!

New players (myself included) hang in there, if someone as below par as myself can grind to an even score you will probably do it in half the time all is not lost!

Also, the matchmaking does drop you into a lower ELO so you can catch up, matches got decidedly easier when I dropped to .35, then ramped up as I was around .80, so it's definatley the perseverance game.

Edit: Where do I start?....lol

Yep the more you play the more experience you actually gain on piloting the mechs.

So other tools that might help you is surfing NGNG and getting in their or one of the other TS servers where you don't have to be apart of a group and drop with some people. ComStar has Tuesday Night Scramble. By doing this you might get with some other pilot who has knowledge he can give you so when you go back to solo drops you can dominate.

#17 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

The Tuesday night scrambles on ComStar are A LOT of fun. And to the OP, congrats on the KDR. (You may want to edit your first post though; .35 is better than .105)

#18 affman67

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Locationflordia,usa

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hey i am a noob too,like the post,an too my fellow noobs i have been rolled,stomped, called a loser among other things even ranted at and told to unistall the game and go play hello kitty or some such.Just ignore those peeps an have fun,mistakes are how peeps learn.Just work on on gettin your comp to 30 frames min if you can in heavy brawls,a decent mouse usin a logitech mx310 here its cheap but good for the price,dont forget to try different mouse pointer speeds in windows an a joystick so you dont have to mess with the keyboard,mines a logitech 29.00 bucks from newegg.After that using a simple mech cataphract xl engine at least 70 kph 4 er large lasers then as many double heatsinks as you can get on really helped me, its simple an is good all around baisc skill trainer.Play assault, the teams drop somewhere around the colored circles so rough idea where they coming from hook up with the biggest blobs of teammates on the radar,stay behind the other players a little an try to shoot what they shoot.Get used to the din of battle,learn the maps stay in cover,earn cbills and train mech skills worry about winning battles later on an have fun,nothings free in life,not even sexually transmitted diseases,you gotta work at it, peace out. A shout out to my Hells Black Aces an Widowmakers lance mates from MW4 vl.

#19 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 14 April 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

NO!

... actually yes.

My KDR: 0.69. It was at about two, but I had a really bad day a few days ago.

Oh dear.. ..they happen.But that bad????

I have been lucky, my KDR has shot up to 2.3 thanks to some crafty matches. 195/85 Kills/Deaths and 84/67 Win/Loss.

My advice - listen to the OP, be patient but also find your play style; when you do, you will nail it.

p.s. dont pilot a locust if you are worried about KDR... :)

#20 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

KDR really is irrelevant. I say this because it largely depends on which mech I am driving. I don't expect to get many kills in my Spider with 3 medium pulse lasers, so I don't worry about the KDR. The best way to tell how you're doing is keep a mental tally of how often you are alive at the end of the match, how much damage you did, how many assists you got, and most importantly, how much fun you're having. The nice thing about doing it this way is that if you think about the fun and the other things I mentioned, your memory, not some numbers, informs your decision on how you're doing. You have to try really, really hard not to get better as you play this game.

Edited by mailin, 15 April 2014 - 05:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users