Sorry For Yesterday, Not A Diatribe I Swear.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

So yea nevermind yesterday, forgive and forget ok? I can admit wrong and amend my thinking, I'm not a troll or an incorrigible *******.......just a tad high-strung.

New discussion topic: I for one, think lrms are, if not OP outright, excessively annoying at the least. I wonder what people think about maybe adding an ECM medium or heavy mech? The Cicada doesn't count we all know its a light.

I get why some people think ECM is overpowered, but at the same time......AMS really doesn't do enough to protect me from lrms. I even carry two tons of ammo on a lot of my builds now, but I cant play in any match without seeing 3-4 missile boats on the other team, and thus I cant move anywhere without getting lrmed, I hate just sitting around waiting for 10 minutes in a match cowering in fear. Likewise, I suck at sniping, I mean yea occasionally I'll run something with PPCs, but its not my thing really. I like to brawl, I like to use weird builds. I get it that the game isn't going to cater just to me, but then what do you fellow brawler types do to survive in a light or medium mech? That's my preferred speed, I cant handle assault speed or even anything slower than maybe a well-endowed t-bolt.

Basically the problem I'm having is this (and a big reason why I was so mad yesterday after countless bad matches, some of which were my fault but some weren't): If I don't stay in ecm, I get lrmed, if I try to flank a lrm boat, I get sniped, if I don't have ecm on my team, I get lrmed AND sniped. Huddling with the D-Dc makes the team more susceptible to arty. Spreading out makes individuals more susceptible to pretty much everything except arty. If I stay out of sight totally and only move to somewhere else totally out of sight Im not doing much good for my team. Even though my other topic is an angry, poorly received rant, one point I made is this: I have a hard time playing right now because if I cant communicate with my team, I cant ask for help if I get swarmed by lights or if I lure someone back to my team, my team is often ill-equipped to help out because so many of them are lrm-boats that cant fight lights, and the rest of the team is usually snipers focused on heavier stuff 600-800m downrange and are likely expecting me to protect them from the very mechs im running to them for help with. I just don't feel like I know what to do anymore to succeed.

TL:DR

How have you guys altered your piloting style lately, if at all? What do you brawlers do to stay out of the way until the time is right to shine? What do you all think about a middle-speed ECM mech?

EDIT: Have you guys been having any sudden "unknown failures" and frequent loss of connection to the server lately when trying to log in? I had this problem to the point I literally couldn't log in at all for three weeks in March. After the April 1st patch everything was cool again until yesterday. What gives? I freak out now every time I see the interface refresh data or save my mech or anything as it often results in an "unknown failure".

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 20 April 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#2 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

Regarding connections: I get a lot of freezing after matches, aftre editing mechs and such..usually means I have to alt-f4 the client and restart. No major issues during matches.

Regarding LRMS and brawling, my average match is something along these lines:

Start match
player X - "glhf"
player Y - "glhf"
Sit back and see how much LRM spam there is
*lots = charge in and either kill the LRM boat in a bored rage or die as fast as possible so I can try for a match that doesn't involve sitting behind rocks until we lose or they run out of missiles.
*little = charge in and brawl like all my setups are made to do.

It's not a major change to how I've always played, I just added the sit back and the die as fast as possible bits due to the over the top missile spam.

#3 Errinovar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

Ok, I'll bite on this one... seriously the problem isn't LRMs, or the inefficiency of AMS, the problem is your piloting. My most piloted mech historically is a Centurion YLW. I have about 700 solo drops in the YLW alone, and I do not, nor ever have used AMS in my YLW. Now in case you aren't aware the YLW uses 2 weapons systems, an AC 20 and 2 medium lasers, which means they are really only truly effective in brawling range and they don't have ECM. My playstyle is all about flanking, harrassing, and ambushing my opponents and it has worked very well for me with a 1.6 kdr, over 700 kills and an average of about 300 damage per match. And in all that time I have never found LRMs or the lack of AMS to be a major factor in my play. Same holds true for many of my other brawlers which have higher kdr and damage per match averages while forgoing AMS. The problems you are facing are tactical and not symptomatic of weapon imbalance, and the sooner you start analyzing what you did and didn't do well in your matches the sooner you will get past this phase.

#4 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 April 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

Start match
player X - "glhf"
player Y - "glhf"
Sit back and see how much LRM spam there is
*lots = charge in and either kill the LRM boat in a bored rage or die as fast as possible so I can try for a match that doesn't involve sitting behind rocks until we lose or they run out of missiles.
*little = charge in and brawl like all my setups are made to do.

My mechwarrior experience in a nutshell, minus PPCs and AC5 snipers.

#5 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 20 April 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

I for one, think lrms are, if not OP outright, excessively annoying at the least.

Yes, LRMs are excessively annoying. Sad when you consider all the tonnage (the weapons, the ammo, the BAP, the TAG, etc.) it takes to run a successful LRM30 build, only to find yourself described as "excessively annoying." The only thing more sad, I think, is people who call for your "excessively annoying" build to be nerfed :P.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users