46 replies to this topic

#21 Hangfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 204 posts
  • LocationToon of honest men and bonnie lassies

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

I generally try to keep my thoughts to myself ingame,, but what the hell,, I'll give this a go

#22 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

Great post, great initiative, I wholeheartedly agreed. Being respectful of your fellow human is a norm for me so that part of the challenge is moot, but I accept the "positive reinforcement" part of the challenge...

Except when I get my toes stepped on like this morning. Super-derp decided to rush the enemy base on assault alone in the first few seconds of the match, got himself killed and most of the rest of the team as well. After fighting on the front and just barely escaping the "final rush" I hunker down at our base and type in chat "Might as well try to take as many with me as I can". Super-derp decides he is going to type in public chat "Our last one is in C3". I could not resist calling him an a$$-hat. :P

#23 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

As a still fairly newish (read - still awful) player, I would love not getting heaps of verbal abuse after almost every game.

#24 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

What and stop the only thing making it worthwhile to stomach a drop?

#25 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

So far so good! but holy heck the hardest part is when some guy starts picking on somebody else! really hard to find anything you can say that wont feed the beasts! all while running around getting shot, ho ho I put "wddddaaaaxxxx" into chat more then a few times today!

But I tell you what, when you start looking so you can give a "Atta boy" out you see there is a awful lot of amazing piloting going on out there on the field, some people just make amazing shots. I swear I learn a ton of good moves from spectating.

Much harder then I thought! but totally worth it. How is it going for others?

#26 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Jonny, I gotta give it to ya... you made a slam dunk with this thread ^_^

I tend just to use dead chat to give enemy locations to teammates. (small irk bout the game: when you die, hitting Y right away does not open team chat....) but I accept the challenge and look forward to watching for "Nice Shot" moments over the weekend.

Edited by Dracol, 17 April 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#27 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostJonny Slam, on 17 April 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

Much harder then I thought! but totally worth it. How is it going for others?

I haven't been on yet since this awesome topic showed up - but I am storing it up for when I do.

Best way I have found (if I recall correctly - which is not saying much....) to deal with the obnoxiously negative people is to pretend they aren't saying anything - if you and they are both spectating, perhaps give some positive to whoever they are picking on - but not to respond to the negative person themself.

#28 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Posted Image

#29 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

I like the idea but if I did it it would kill me.

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

I like the idea but if I did it it would kill me.

Then we could raise you as the undead - and you could finish the challenge as an undead paladin! ^_^

#31 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Half way done, and it is getting easier.

Even saw upbeat comments outnumbering neg ones in a few matches last night!

#32 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

I am Corporal Danghen Woolf, and I support this message.

#33 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

Well 85 matches and so far so good, hoping to spread some Easter cheer ...... or is that hopping?

Anyway how is it gong for other challenge takers?

#34 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I already did this. So Just call me a trailblaster.

I generally don't game with a foul attitude, so you have to be doing really badly to earn a negative comment from me. Usually in groups of badness. Like an entire lance just standing about sniping while the rest of us are totally getting annihilated.

But just yesterday we had two snipers a spider and a ERPPC Firestarter of all things, doing WORK, and we ghosts just all gathered round to worry about their welfare and tell them how great they did killing the damaged Thunderbolt, Victor, and Stalker they were left with.

It's not all griefing and negative comments in the dead zone, you know.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 19 April 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#35 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Well, I think I have done this challenge already for more than 3 days. Had a perfect example earlier.

Tourmaline, while fighting a few times I got backshot by team allies. Once in a clear area, I am facing a Centurion with 2 allies behind me, no running across fire lanes or anything. So I move on the Cent while he retreats and I notice I am also getting backshot by the 2 allies behind me.

Eventually I die from a different enemy who killed me by hitting my near cored rear CT, the one cause by ally backshots.. Some in my spot would instantly RAGE in chat and/or forums. Me, I look at remaining allies and give modest advice.

Raging solves nothing. Besides, I could always Rage later and if I want to, I tend to use my blog more often to vent out the Rage. It actually helps, I don't think there are many if any in the MWO community who read my blog and, once the Rage is gone, I can come back with a better constructed message.

There is also the concept of taking breaks between matches for many reasons including:
- get rid of any Rage before going into another match where the Rage may mess up your play.
- some time between matches will change who you play with.

Edited by Merchant, 19 April 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#36 GunnyKintaro 01

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostFelio, on 17 April 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

ditto

#37 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

This is great. I think one of the most negative things I've seen players do is blame teammates for their own failures. This is especially frustrating when it's my own team and we're all very clearly pulling our weight and doing our damndest to take the enemy down, then someone dies and says "my team is garbage." How about you spend that energy looking at what you could have done to play better instead of blaming your team?

#38 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Constructive criticism still has it's place, but you have to give it in a way that the player knows your helping them, not belittling them. I only try to get under someones skin if they act smart about something of which they are clearly clueless.

#39 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 19 April 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

I already did this. So Just call me a trailblaster.

I generally don't game with a foul attitude, so you have to be doing really badly to earn a negative comment from me. Usually in groups of badness. Like an entire lance just standing about sniping while the rest of us are totally getting annihilated.

But just yesterday we had two snipers a spider and a ERPPC Firestarter of all things, doing WORK, and we ghosts just all gathered round to worry about their welfare and tell them how great they did killing the damaged Thunderbolt, Victor, and Stalker they were left with.

It's not all griefing and negative comments in the dead zone, you know.

Sounds like it was fantastic to watch man!

View PostMerchant, on 19 April 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Well, I think I have done this challenge already for more than 3 days. Had a perfect example earlier.

Tourmaline, while fighting a few times I got backshot by team allies. Once in a clear area, I am facing a Centurion with 2 allies behind me, no running across fire lanes or anything. So I move on the Cent while he retreats and I notice I am also getting backshot by the 2 allies behind me.

Eventually I die from a different enemy who killed me by hitting my near cored rear CT, the one cause by ally backshots.. Some in my spot would instantly RAGE in chat and/or forums. Me, I look at remaining allies and give modest advice.

Raging solves nothing. Besides, I could always Rage later and if I want to, I tend to use my blog more often to vent out the Rage. It actually helps, I don't think there are many if any in the MWO community who read my blog and, once the Rage is gone, I can come back with a better constructed message.

There is also the concept of taking breaks between matches for many reasons including:
- get rid of any Rage before going into another match where the Rage may mess up your play.
- some time between matches will change who you play with.

Yeah a break can really do the trick mate, and blowing up in your blog? well that is what they are for right!!!

#40 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostBhelogan, on 19 April 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Constructive criticism still has it's place, but you have to give it in a way that the player knows your helping them, not belittling them. I only try to get under someones skin if they act smart about something of which they are clearly clueless.

Yup.
Forgot to add to my story, the allies left when I died were the ones who shot me yet I spent more time telling them how to protect their near cored rear CTs than blaming them even though I could.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users