Don't....what?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Seeing certain threads and others like the ones below make me SMH.

Look, in all these "Don't..." situations, there is plenty of blame to go around.

DON'T WALK IN FRONT OF TEAMMATES!
Blame on both sides. Player A, by the OP description, clearly is getting so caught up lining up his 'perfect shot' he loses situational awareness. Does not see Player B, his teammate, coming along, winds up shooting him. According to Player A, Player B is fully to blame.

Wrong.

Both are. Player A for spending too much time looking for 'the perfect shot.' Player B for not seeing the cross over a friendly fire lane. Player B could be crossing for any number of reasons, chasing an enemy that crosses the same fire lane, running from enemies, running from enemies and in doing so intentionally crossing friendly fire lanes to bring targets to teammates, etc.

Too many variables.

I have been Player A & B in this situation to know how many different factors come into play. Blame goes all around, not on one person for ruining your 'perfect shot.'

PS - sometimes, like the OP says, you may be taking a minute or two looking for 'the perfect shot,' it could go well for you or bad. Honestly, I don't advocate waiting more than 30 seconds if that, always keep moving.

DON'T STAND BEHIND PEOPLE
Same thing. Blame goes on both sides. The person backing up has a minimap and can see where teammates are. It is like those modern cars with cameras aimed to the rear, check the cameras and rear view mirrors before backing up. Not a hard skill when driving, should not be hard in MWO. If you get stuck backing up, twist one way or another IMMEDIATELY instead of QQ'ing.

Any other 'Don't' threads?
How about just a plain old Battlefield Awareness thread?
Applies to long time players too.

Lesson, lots of blame to go around, don't be the finger pointer QQ'ing about it saying, "It was HIS fault." Especially in chat after you are dead early and decide to blame your WHOLE team for your death.

#2 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Don't don't?

#3 Garegaupa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Well written!

As I usually say: Any issue has at least three different sides to it: Person A's claim, person B's claim, and the actual truth somewhere in between. The truth may be close to (or practically identical to) either A's or B's claim, but things are usually more nuanced. ^_^

Edited by Garegaupa, 17 April 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#4 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

I don't agree on the standing behind. If you are behind another mech there should be some distance, enough space to get out of the way so they can evade those LRMs, or you are moving still and can immediately turn.

Edited by MicroVent, 18 April 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#5 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Funny...if you cross line of fire lanes in RL we do ot blame the shooter behind. 9 out 10 times ime the mover is not so far away that it would be reasonable to assume he doesnt know where his teammates are. Normally they are near the existing scrum and people all drift towards the closest target. Its good to focus fire but bunching up is not required.

Your second thread I can see both sides. All too often people decide to ridgehump or perch unexpectdly at a chokepoint and get rearended. Good rule of thumb is where possible, do not conga line the path. Saves angst for both parties.

Cannot agree with your first example. Interesting thread nonetheless.

Edited by Lukoi, 17 April 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Agreed with OP.

That is, the situation (not that Jersey Shore D-bag, either) dictates. IF the friendly, in front of whom I'm crossing, is an LRM boat, then it's not likely to make any difference. If it's taller, and firing from higher-up points on the mech, then it's not likely to make any difference.

On the other hand, if I'm in a SHD and I cross in front of an AS7 engaging with its direct-fire, torso-mount weapon, I deserve that AC/20 round in the back. If he's holding Streak lock on that pesky Jenner from his SHD, and I cross him with my JM6, I'm just begging for the TK. It's not right or fair if HE takes a TK because I crossed him.

It's generally a better policy to avoid crossing your teammates. But if you do, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're the one to blame. Whatever you're up to may be more important, and it also may be harmless to your ally's current task.

But if you're gonna cross an ally, you had BETTER have good reason for it, and you had BETTER know what you and he are doing.

#7 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I actively avoid walking in front of teammates because I know how frustrating it can be when people walk in front of me. I also want them to be able to shoot the bad guys. Whose fault it would be if they shot me isn't really important. Just try to be excellent to each other.

Standing directly behind a teammate, especially in a bottleneck, is pretty rude. Even if it isn't a bottleneck, you might lengthen their escape route and cause them to take additional damage. That really is no one's fault except the butt-humper.

It might be frustrating for you that he is blocking your way, but if he's backing up, he's doing you a favor by not letting you pass. Leave some space between you before that happens, and good karma will come to you.

#8 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

For me it boils down to this:

1.Check your fire. Accidents happen if a quick mech suddenly runs in front of you. I get that. If it happens, it happens. However, if you know that a friendly mech is about to enter your sights, for f*** sake hold your fire! There are a lot of pilots with epeen problems who want to get the kill so bad, they intentionally fire on friendlies who come in between them and the enemy. This is a reportable offense, and if you see people doing this, you should file a ticket.

There are also pilots with a "this is my spot" mentality that will keep shooting knowing very well that there's a friendly mech that will be hit by one of their weapons. Look, if someone is repeatedly coming in front of you, let them know through a quick message, not by shooting them. I've seen all sorts of BS like this. Ie, being in a tunnel and one fool wants the guy in front of him to push, so he alphas him in the back. If you see stuff like this happen, I encourage you to report it.

2. Use the radar. The blue arrows on the radar are just as important as the red ones. Pay attention to the direction the arrows are pointing. Knowing where your allies are and what direction they are facing could help you avoid friendly fire incidents.

3. Move preemptively. Mech games aren't traditional shooters where you can take off at full speed. Mechs have to accelerate and decelerate, and it gets very noticeable in heavier mechs. If you see a friendly who is starting to move toward you, you should take action immediately. Don't just stand there and block off his retreat, leading to him (and possibly you) getting killed and griefing over chat. Take a quick glance at your radar to watch out for other friendlies, check your visuals, and start moving out of the way immediately.

4. Understand the risks. There are times where you may want to risk crossing in front of a friendly. I will take possibly getting hit by a friendly medium over staying in front of two AC-40 Jagers any day. Just be willing to accept the consequences.

"Don't stand (in front of/behind) me" is a valid complaint, but we should also be ready to do whatever we need to do to support the rest of our team. Some people have ego issues and look for any reason to blame their team. You've probably had the experience of frequently getting put on a team with "that guy" who dies early and rants on all chat till the rest of the game. Don't be "that guy."

#9 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

Honestly anyone stupid enough to walk into my fire deserves a slug or laz up his ass...

The annoying part is when you are providing cover fire and the idiot literally walks into, blocks your weapons, leaves you open to get shot, and then is annoyed... yeah my bad for trying to save your ass... next time I'll just let that BH atlas frag your ass...

x)

#10 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

Is there a post for don't walk 1 at a time through a choke point with the entire enemy team on the other side focusing you down with ease?

#11 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

If someone has a good firing position, don't walk in front of them, get another position to help focus. Friendly fire doesn't even matter, person b is wrong and the one without situational awareness.
Or b knew the chance but did it anyways for whatever reason, still b doing it.

Edited by Bobzilla, 18 April 2014 - 03:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users