Ability to Benchmark Computer Performance Before Founders Pack?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'll probably be crucified for this but here goes:

Is there any plan by the Devs to release a demo or test bed for people to try the game before the open beta, while founders packs are still available? I know that seems silly or redundant but my conundrum is this. I want to buy a founders pack, I really do. The problem is the minimum specs. I'm not sure how well the game is going to play on my machine, and I'm loathe to surrender the benefit of a free to play game on the off chance that the game is unplayable. I've been really hoping to get a beta key to this point partly so that I can make sure my computer can simply run the game.

I have the money to buy a founders pack, but not to buy/upgrade my computer so that's not an option. I can play BF3 just fine - but I don't know how the two compare.

Is there any possibility of getting a test bed? Maybe like one mech and a tiny area to run around in - just to see framerates etc?

I have a 2.2 ghz quad core with 4 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB VRAM, and Windows 7 64Bit.

I've loved everything I've seen from this game, and want to contribute to make it the best it can be, and to reward the devs for all of their hard work. However, I don't want to blindly commit a lot of money when I don't have to.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 20 June 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Masterofm

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm actually more concerned with the fun factor myself. I would like to know if it is fun enough to justify spending 120 bucks on. Not that I want a key or to beta test. I mean if I'm selected that would be nice, but personally it doesn't bother me if I never get chosen. I would however like the ability to know that when I'm handing over 120 bucks I'm doing it on more then faith.

#3 Marauder504

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 19 posts
  • LocationKC

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Nomad, I'm in the same boat as you. Although your specs look like they meet the minimum, pretty sure mine do not.

T9600 2.8 Core2Duo
8GB of RAM
Radeon Mobility HD 3400
Win 7 64bit

I play Battle Field P4F and it is smooth most of time. (touchy when downloading HollyOaks and family is streaming 2 shows on Netflix).

But yes, something for those of us to have reassurance that our systems can run it. Doesn't even have to be a playable thing, just a program that analyzes the PC and tells us what to expect.

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

When the game releases it will be free, so there's your demo

#5 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

they will never get it... no matter how often they ask, no matter how often it´s explained... it´s a sad sad webz nowadays :D

#6 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 June 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

When the game releases it will be free, so there's your demo

It's readily apparent that you missed the point of my question entirely so I'll simplify it for you. I want to buy a founders pack. I want to help supply the devs with cash to support their game. I will not do so without knowing exactly how the game will run. Even if I am at minimum specs, I don't want to pay 60 bucks to play something that looks like mechwarrior 4. Since the founders packs are time sensitive, and will not be available when the game goes to open beta, waiting until then does not help me. I wondered if the devs had thought of a way to address that problem so that people like myself, of which there is a least one other - can have their concerns answered and can give them additional income.

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 20 June 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

they will never get it... no matter how often they ask, no matter how often it´s explained... it´s a sad sad webz nowadays :(

Thank you for your contribution. Obvious troll is obvious.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 20 June 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#7 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

So if you have concerns, don't buy one.

Neither MWO nor life in general has to (or will) give you everything you want without risk.

Either take the risk that it won't run well on your machine or that you won't like the game. . . and accept the fact that you might regret your purchase later.

Or choose not to take the risk that everything might not turn out exactly as you hope. . . and accept the fact that you're not going to be a founder.

Making personal decisions and accepting the consequences of those decisions is part of being an adult.

Edited by Death Mallet, 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#8 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostDeath Mallet, on 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Neither MWO nor life in general has to (or will) give you everything you want without risk.

Either take the risk that it won't run well on your machine or that you won't like the game. . . and accept the fact that you might regret your purchase later.

Or choose not to take the risk that everything might not turn out exactly as you hope. . . and accept the fact that you're not going to be a founder.

Making personal decisions and accepting the consequences of those decisions is part of being an adult.

Thank you so much for that insightful and interesting post! I had no idea how to operate as an adult in a modern society. Last time I checked, fiscal responsibilty was a sign of being an adult as well. Forgive me for wanting to be cautious with my money, and at least asking a question before making a decision. I thought I came off pretty reasonable. Did I demand a beta key? Did I claim that something wasn't fair?

All I asked was if there was a plan in place, to allow those with borderline specs a chance to test their machines, as many other games do with demos etc. Congratulations on being a founder. My hat is off to you. But don't condescend to me because I refuse to foolishly jump into a situation I don't have to.

#9 evil merlin

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostDeath Mallet, on 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

This. I don't understand why there are so many issues understanding this. IF you are concerned, DON'T BUY IT.

If the game doesn't run well on my dual 8core Xeon box with 64 GB of RAM, I'll buy another video card. Thats the great thing, performance is really up to you, not the developers.

#10 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 19 June 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I'll probably be crucified for this but here goes:

Is there any plan by the Devs to release a demo or test bed for people to try the game before the open beta, while founders packs are still available? I know that seems silly or redundant but my conundrum is this. I want to buy a founders pack, I really do. The problem is the minimum specs. I'm not sure how well the game is going to play on my machine, and I'm loathe to surrender the benefit of a free to play game on the off chance that the game is unplayable. I've been really hoping to get a beta key to this point partly so that I can make sure my computer can simply run the game.

I have the money to buy a founders pack, but not to buy/upgrade my computer so that's not an option. I can play BF3 just fine - but I don't know how the two compare.

Is there any possibility of getting a test bed? Maybe like one mech and a tiny area to run around in - just to see framerates etc?

I have a 2.2 ghz quad core with 4 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB VRAM, and Windows 7 64Bit.

I've loved everything I've seen from this game, and want to contribute to make it the best it can be, and to reward the devs for all of their hard work. However, I don't want to blindly commit a lot of money when I don't have to.

Id guess it would be really a slow... Im worried about my 2.7 gightz 4 gig RAM system and Im buying http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102908, and maybe http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231314 later on

View PostListless Nomad, on 20 June 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Thank you so much for that insightful and interesting post! I had no idea how to operate as an adult in a modern society. Last time I checked, fiscal responsibilty was a sign of being an adult as well. Forgive me for wanting to be cautious with my money, and at least asking a question before making a decision. I thought I came off pretty reasonable. Did I demand a beta key? Did I claim that something wasn't fair?

All I asked was if there was a plan in place, to allow those with borderline specs a chance to test their machines, as many other games do with demos etc. Congratulations on being a founder. My hat is off to you. But don't condescend to me because I refuse to foolishly jump into a situation I don't have to.

And trolling him for answering your question honestly wont help your cause any either. It will likely just get you reported for being a troll.

Edited by 514yer, 20 June 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#11 Masterofm

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

View Postevil merlin, on 20 June 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

This. I don't understand why there are so many issues understanding this. IF you are concerned, DON'T BUY IT.

Which means in the end the Devs could make less money. I like the idea of a founders pack myself, but if the risk could be eliminated I would be much more likely to drop $120 on the game whereas when this is no longer an option the most I will probably ever spend on the game is more like 50 bucks tops. If other people have the type of spending habits I do then in the end the Devs make less money instead of more.

One way or another I'd like the Devs to make money and this game to be a massive success. However I also can't just squirt away 60-120 bucks and if it fails tough sht. When I lost $60 bucks because APB tanked I was beyond pissed off. Not that the game didn't have a ton of problems, but just throwing your money down a hole stinks no matter how much of a success you wanted the game to be.

Edited by Masterofm, 20 June 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#12 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Why are questions so looked down upon? I'll provide two scenarios:

Scenario 1:

Prospective Car buyer: Wow that looks like an awesome car, I don't know how well it handles though. In fact I don't know anything about it really - except that it looks cool. I wonder if I should ask the dealership if I can test drive it. Maybe they won't let me but I should ask.

Scenario 2:

Prospective Car buyer: Wow that looks like an awesome car, I don't know how well it handles though. In fact I don't know anything about it really - except that it looks cool. Let me buy it instantly and hope for the best! Whoopee!

Is it a crime to ATTEMPT to relieve or lay to rest concerns that I have. You people act like asking a question before dropping a not unsubstantial amount of money is akin to heresy. Is it really criminal to want to try something (even a little) before you buy.

Worst case, the devs don't answer or say "no there isn't", and I make a decision later. But what's the harm in asking?

View Post514yer, on 20 June 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Id guess it would be really a slow... Im worried about my 2.7 gightz 4 gig RAM system and Im buying http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102908, and maybe http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231314 later on

Thank you for at least posting a constuctive comment. I appreciate it.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 20 June 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostMasterofm, on 20 June 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Which means in the end the Devs could make less money. I like the idea of a founders pack myself, but if the risk could be eliminated I would be much more likely to drop $120 on the game whereas when this is no longer an option the most I will probably ever spend on the game is more like 50 bucks tops. If other people have the type of spending habits I do then in the end the Devs make less money instead of more.

One way or another I'd like the Devs to make money and this game to be a massive success. However I also can't just squirt away 60-120 bucks and if it fails tough sht. When I lost $60 bucks because APB tanked I was beyond pissed off. Not that the game didn't have a ton of problems, but just throwing your money down a hole stinks no matter how much of a success you wanted the game to be.

Well the specs given are the beta, unrefined specs too. When the game launches, Im betting the refined specs will be more forgiving
If you think the game will fail and you cant afford the cost, dont buy it.

Thayts not trolling, thats plain truth

View PostListless Nomad, on 20 June 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Scenario 1:

Prospective Car buyer: Wow that looks like an awesome car, I don't know how well it handles though. In fact I don't know anything about it really - except that it looks cool. I wonder if I should ask the dealership if I can test drive it. Maybe they won't let me but I should ask.

Scenario 2:

Prospective Car buyer: Wow that looks like an awesome car, I don't know how well it handles though. In fact I don't know anything about it really - except that it looks cool. Let me buy it instantly and hope for the best! Whoopee!

Is it a crime to ATTEMPT to relieve or lay to rest concerns that I have. You people act like asking a question before dropping a not unsubstantial amount of money is akin to heresy. Is it really criminal to want to try something (even a little) before you buy.

Worst case the devs don't answer or say no there isn't and I make a decision later. But what's the harm in asking except to have to deal with people treating me like I have 3 heads.

When you attack people for answering the question, you get negative aswers

Edited by 514yer, 20 June 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#14 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 20 June 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Worst case, the devs don't answer or say "no there isn't", and I make a decision later. But what's the harm in asking?

No harm, but you're thinking about it wrong... this is Kickstarter type thing not a pre-order.

If you're really concerned with whether or not you can run it, save your $60 or $120 and put it towards a new CPU/GPU so you can be SURE you can play, which is the goal here, and will increase your user experience way more than Cbills or special mechs.

#15 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 20 June 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

No harm, but you're thinking about it wrong... this is Kickstarter type thing not a pre-order.

If you're really concerned with whether or not you can run it, save your $60 or $120 and put it towards a new CPU/GPU so you can be SURE you can play, which is the goal here, and will increase your user experience way more than Cbills or special mechs.

Thanks Technoviking for the response - what you said makes a lot of sense. I want to be involved in kickstarting this project, but I think I'm going to have to go the route you described. I just have a laptop right now, which isn't really upgradable - so I guess I'll just put that money towards building a new computer somewhere way down the road. It's a shame there isn't a way around this. Thanks again and enjoy the legendary perks.

#16 Masterofm

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Post514yer, on 20 June 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Well the specs given are the beta, unrefined specs too. When the game launches, Im betting the refined specs will be more forgiving
If you think the game will fail and you cant afford the cost, dont buy it.

Thayts not trolling, thats plain truth

Never actually mentioned trolling mate. Didn't really think anyone was trolling, but I've just been burned too often with these types of things in the past to justify dropping 120 bucks even though I would like to. It's not that I think the game will fail or not it has more to do with just being more careful in how I spend my money.

#17 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Post514yer, on 20 June 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

When you attack people for answering the question, you get negative aswers

Where did I attack someone before getting negative answers? Pretty sure I wasn't the one trolling.

#18 Lokisonn

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

But it would be nice to have some sort of program to say test the speed of our machines and spit a performance indicator. As mentioned by nomad earlier, the founder's pack is time sensetive but it would a shame if the premium account time was wasting away while people were saving up to upgrade their system to maximize this benefit. I think there are people who would very much like to support the start of this venture with the cool items offered and the recognition to boot.

I wonder if they would allow the buyer to set their own account start time to a later date. This would allow people with low spec computers waiting to upgrade and people who have to be away for a long period of time when inception kick starts to be be part of the founders community.

#19 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostLokisonn, on 20 June 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

But it would be nice to have some sort of program to say test the speed of our machines and spit a performance indicator. As mentioned by nomad earlier, the founder's pack is time sensetive but it would a shame if the premium account time was wasting away while people were saving up to upgrade their system to maximize this benefit. I think there are people who would very much like to support the start of this venture with the cool items offered and the recognition to boot.

I wonder if they would allow the buyer to set their own account start time to a later date. This would allow people with low spec computers waiting to upgrade and people who have to be away for a long period of time when inception kick starts to be be part of the founders community.

Exactly. That was all I was trying to say.

#20 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 20 June 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Exactly. That was all I was trying to say.

Way to edit your post & post title to change from quasi-rant to appear more reasonable. Glad I could inspire some more civilized behavior from you even if you flame me for it.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users