Maps

53 replies to this topic

#1 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

I know people have complained about it before but it needs to be brought up again because every assault match is basically a glorified skirmish mode now, with base caps only happening after the rest of the team is wiped out or preceding a loss due to nobody else wanting to cap or commit to capping by trying to take out turrets. Also, on certain maps it just turns matches into a campfest on the turrets more often than not, making it even worse than skirmish and it just makes me feel like not playing assault at all because at least in skirmish people move around and try to engage the enemy instead of camping for 10 minutes.

The objective is there for it to be capped, but with the way things are now you might as well never bother trying to get it unless the rest of the enemy team got demolished. Just because a bunch of idiots pissed and moaned about actually needing to defend (or at the very least spot 1 or 2 enemy lights) their single crucial objective doesn't mean it should be practically nullified by turrets that take FOREVER to die. Especially now that skirmish is available and you can pick & choose which modes to play, turrets should just be removed (or very heavily nerfed, even more than they were which wasn't enough) so that we can go back to the objective actually mattering somewhat in assault.

I'm sure that if/when some sort of attack/defense mode happens THEN we can have a mode with some real turret defenses, but putting them in other game modes just wrecks it.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Turrets definitely need to be tweaked.

The purpose of turrets was to slow down the cap and discourage single mechs from capping.

The purpose of turrets was not to discourage capping altogether and turn base assault into skirmish.

#3 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostPjwned, on 21 April 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Also, on certain maps it just turns matches into a campfest on the turrets more often than not

There are only three maps in which this happens with any frequency — Forest Colony, River City and Frozen City. All three are obsolete and undersized, with almost nowhere to go beyond spawn points before players are extended or simply out in the open.

the way things are now you might as well never bother trying to get it

Caps happen; they're just not what ends a game in 2 minutes any longer. Are you trying to sneak in with a single light?

Edited by East Indy, 21 April 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#4 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

I totally agree a lance of light mechs that want to completely avoid a team and sneak around to cap the base in 10 seconds and get 0 damage leaving the rest of their team to die should have the RIGHT to walk in and cap without interruption!

Base turrets need to be removed and the cap rate doubled for CWO!

All hail the Cap-Warriors, never fire never fight, get victory C-Bills for free!

#5 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostKhobai, on 21 April 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

The purpose of turrets was to slow down the cap and discourage single mechs from capping.

The purpose of turrets was not to discourage capping altogether and turn base assault into skirmish.

I lay full blame on the anti-capping whiners who should have patiently waited for a TDM mode and left Assault alone.

#6 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostMystere, on 21 April 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I lay full blame on the anti-capping whiners who should have patiently waited for a TDM mode and left Assault alone.

Ahh so let the match time-out is better because both teams sat at their bases and waited for the other team to cap rush....

Welcome to the DERPmaster 2000, the automated complaint poster that complains about complaints and solutions producing thoughtless requests ranging from the removal of game elements to the trashing of weapons systems. Now available to the super low price of 4 payments of 40,000 C-Bills!

#7 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, stopped playing assault with lights as it ends up limiting map tremendously. Don't mind it much on heavier classes.

With 3/3/3/3 coming I can see a drop in the number of assault matches due to not enough solo lights.

#8 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

I like turrets. They look cool. They remind me of the single-player missions of previous games.

Most importantly, they're actual new content.

Their current implementation though, effectively removed my favorite gamemode. I've had some fun games with the turrets, but nothing that beats the do-or-die brawl you'd get trying to maintain control of that little square.

I'm fine if we keep Assault as-is, and bring back the original gamemode under a different name. Then we'd have 2 gamemodes for those who have absolutely no sense of positioning and area control.

I can only dream about TF2 style 5-point gamemodes.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostKhobai, on 21 April 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

weird. I've been on plenty of teams where we torched the turrets and capped. Works best on the big maps, obviously.

Other times on smaller maps, we trashed the turrets to prise the rest of the hiding OpFor out. Either way, I find they significantly add to the game play of most matches, as they require more than simple bullheaded rambo rushes.

#10 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

*cough*

Maybe turrets would be ok if only one team had a base to defend while the other team ...Assault..ed... it?

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Maybe turrets would be ok if only one team had a base to defend while the other team ...Assault..ed... it?

turrets would also be okay if the objective of base assault was to destroy the mobile hq instead of capture it. that way both teams would actually have to split up into attackers and defenders. would help solve some deathballing issues too.

#12 Ezazel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Assault with turrets can be good. I just lately had a very good assault match with my Shadowhawk 5M. We didn't cap but we assaulted the enemy base anyway as the last enemies were hiding there. Turrets made it exciting as everybody was in bad shape. Ended up a 12-10 win for us and was a gg.

#13 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

It would be nice to simply adjust the number of turrets to map size at least.

#14 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Right now all the turrets seem to be doing is preventing both teams from circling counterclockwise until they switch starting positions and waste the first five minutes of the match.

#15 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 April 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

weird. I've been on plenty of teams where we torched the turrets and capped. Works best on the big maps, obviously.

Other times on smaller maps, we trashed the turrets to prise the rest of the hiding OpFor out. Either way, I find they significantly add to the game play of most matches, as they require more than simple bullheaded rambo rushes.

Interesting. I've seen both of those things happen (though only once or twice,) and they usually lead to a pretty fun match. Unfortunately, it seems like a good 85% of assault matches begin and end with setting up a killbox and camping the turrets.

If capping rewards were increased substantially, it might be a different story. I think I'd like an assault mode like that more than any of the previous incarnations.

#16 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'd like to keep turrets in but have them tweaked a bit. I mean as it is, I move five feet from my starting position in River City and suddenly I'm sucking a crap ton of lrms

#17 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

It's kind of amazing that turrets, with the combined awesome firepower of a medium mech, has ruined so many people's games.

#18 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostDavers, on 21 April 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

It's kind of amazing that turrets, with the combined awesome firepower of a medium mech, has ruined so many people's games.

I lol'd

I'm ok with the turrets. Sure they're kind of annoying on RC, but the rest, they're fine.

#19 Boris The Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Keep turrets, remove skirmish mode, everybody happy. Apart from people who need gamey nonsense like standing in a box to win.

#20 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostDavers, on 21 April 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Neg. 7 turrets on each map, and each carries 2 ML's and 2 LRM/10's. That is a combined loadout of 14 ML's and 14 LRM/10's. That is 84 tons of weaponry. Not quite a medium 'Mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users