16 replies to this topic

#1 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:07 AM

For all those PUGS out there who do not understand Terra Therma.

That big ole bulls eye in the center called the caldera, middle, volcano or the 20 other names for it, is a good place to fight, however it is not the only place to fight.

However if you choose to go into the caldera, then push up the ramp DO NOT bottleneck at the ramp while the other team takees the center. All youi do is sign your death warrant ias they have multiple lanes of fire on you. If the enemy team has the caldera then BACK THE HELL out ad let them come to you.

If you choose to jam the entrance to the caldera and the enemy team has control of it, you will die one by one as they snipe and arty you to death.

Moral of the story, Take the caldera if you want to, if its already taken get the hell out of there.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

Edited by Egomane, 10 May 2014 - 05:30 AM.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

I thought it was the PUGzapper?

Why don't I get thee Memos?

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

LOL I play as a team rarely of late... so wrong again. Also
Battlemaster with 1 SRM
Griffin with 2 SRM instead of LRMs
Jenner wit lasers and nothing else
Atlas with Lasers, Big AC and SRMs

LRM what??? :P

I don't have to use em to support em. B)

#4 ShadowWolf Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 May 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

That's what I thought it was too.

I love Terra Therma. B)

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostShadowWolf Kell, on 10 May 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

That's what I thought it was too.

I love Terra Therma. B)

Love is a strong term for Terra Therma... I tolerate it. :P

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

One does not simply herd pugs in Mordor.

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 May 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

Posted Image
Is said to be easier I hear!

#8 ShadowWolf Kell

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 May 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

#9 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

I would have understood it if you said that "Fighting it out at H10 on Alpine Peaks" is not always the way to go on Skirmish and Assault. But on Terra Therma, the strategic value of holding the Center can not be denied.

I usually hate people who opt not to take the shortest way to the center caldera in an attempt to occupy it. In terms of spawn points Terra Therma is one of the most balanced maps. So if you have the speed you should be there faster, if you don't you better have more armor and firepower.

My Moral of the story, Take the caldera at any cost and rush in. Don't stand still at the entrance, drop arties at the opposing entrance, even if you only see a single enemy medium or light. And on skirmish: Don't give up on the center unless you have a significant advantage over the opponent. (Don't rush out)

#10 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 May 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

You would be correct sir. I always ask that everyone form a conga line while they derpherd into the PUGZapper.

On a more serious note, you have 3 options.

Option 1: Fight thru the PUGZapper. You have to be aggressive enough to push thru and then concentrate fire on the exit to get out. Staying inside is not as option. Its hot, and its hard to maintain DPS. Moving into the Zapper thru 2 entrances can be a viable option as well because people arent stacking an entrance. See Conga Line reference.

Option 2: Play defense on the exit and or flank. Stay out of the PUGZapper. This requires people to be patient and play smart which is not the PUG mindset. Flanking is the best option in all reality but it relies on people being smart enough at the exits to hold the people inside the Zapper without getting rolled to give the flankers enough time to get to where they need to be.

Option 3: Ignore the PUGZapper. Unless your playing on Conquest, you can safely ignore the Zapper and just play outside of it. You can move thru the Zapper as a shortcut at times, but dont stay in it. Get in and out if you have to go thru it.

Note for Conquest: When on Conquest send a light or a fast medium to get the point if you can but dont sacrifice a player for it. Your better off concentrating on the other points and keeping everyone in a couple of groups and staying alive. Only claim the Zapper if you can do it uncontested.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

View PostShadowWolf Kell, on 10 May 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

Is that A Steve Carell Dub on the Mad Cow.. I laughed so hard I cried!

#12 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostEglar, on 10 May 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I would have understood it if you said that "Fighting it out at H10 on Alpine Peaks" is not always the way to go on Skirmish and Assault. But on Terra Therma, the strategic value of holding the Center can not be denied.

I usually hate people who opt not to take the shortest way to the center caldera in an attempt to occupy it. In terms of spawn points Terra Therma is one of the most balanced maps. So if you have the speed you should be there faster, if you don't you better have more armor and firepower.

My Moral of the story, Take the caldera at any cost and rush in. Don't stand still at the entrance, drop arties at the opposing entrance, even if you only see a single enemy medium or light. And on skirmish: Don't give up on the center unless you have a significant advantage over the opponent. (Don't rush out)

Totally agree. The PUGzapper gets a bad name because either A) Everyone stands in the entrance, B ) One person rushes in and his team abandons him while the other team rushes in and kills him, or C) The team stumbles around outside for 5 minutes, then proceeds to try to rush their 5 stalkers up one of the side ramps, crashing into one another while they get arty struck to death.

But in the average PUG match, if you can get even a lance of your team into the center first, and use arty/heavy fire to make the other team stop at the entrance, you will win, since even the dumbest of PUGs will either come in to help you after 5 minutes or flank around and hit the other team standing in the doorway.

#13 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

Be the Zapper, not the zappee!

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostEglar, on 10 May 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

Oh man this reminds me of when I(Centurion) and a Atlas, stood in the very center of the Cauldron on Mordor and fought off (Killed) 6 Mechs trying to "rush" us. I just remember turning to the Atlas and thinking "Dude... THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!"

#15 DonGardenio

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Always charge the donut. And don't stop until you're inside the donut and brawling your heart out.

I wish that happened every time. It is glorious when it does.

And anyone that still doesn't move in when a pair of DDCs do are sad and should take a good long think about what it means to be a person.

#16 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

I think this is one of those cases in which the people you're trying to reach generally don't read the forums.

Edited by Elkfire, 10 May 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#17 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Such good advice, too bad the bottom feeders are illiterate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users