Are Mediums An Endangered Species?

BattleMechs Gameplay

106 replies to this topic

#101 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Ran mostly mediums last night just cause I have been running heavies for a few days.

Always pleased with ShadowHawks when I run them. Such a fun chassis. I like running all of mine with XL's and combination of ballastic/ missle/ energy. Really well balanced. I can run just over 82 kph in even the slowest with speed tweak. I think it is important to keep their speed up in that range or better. I try not overload mediums (although I love lots of 'bang' on board like anyone) and sacrifice to much speed/ engine size.

Not so much with Cents I tried to run last night. I just cannot figure them out yet. I tried an ac2/ ac5 with mls and streaks... even with a standard engine I could not survive in one very well. Need to work on them.

#102 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

I traded in my Tbolt and Centurion to get a Griffin cause... Lyran!

#103 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Not so much with Cents I tried to run last night. I just cannot figure them out yet. I tried an ac2/ ac5 with mls and streaks... even with a standard engine I could not survive in one very well. Need to work on them.

Cent's are very much about using your shield arm, and twisting to protect your gun arm (assuming you have a gun in it).

It's a hard mech to play, and it's compounded by not having jump jets, which are such a big thing for mediums.

Basically the thing to practice in a Cent is, fire, turn away....then turn and fire, followed by turning away. Over and over.

It's tough to get good at the crack shots.

#104 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 24 April 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

Basically the thing to practice in a Cent is, fire, turn away....then turn and fire, followed by turning away. Over and over.

Feels like a similar strategy to the Hunchback. Fire and turn the "hump" away from your enemy. Rinse and repeat.

#105 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 23 April 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

No, I am saying that being in a low elo and that leading people to believe things are balanced. Low elo would be blissfully ignorant of the balance or more specifically the lack of it, because almost any mech with any weapon works fine there.

I've been taking a pulse laser banshee pugging...you can tell when the new players are out.

Between the players using 2LL and 2 LPLs on a single group and those who can't take out a 400 XL banshee...it's interesting.

On the other hand...getting headshots with MPLs is harder than it seems. I've only gotten one kill so far, and a couple open heads. But it makes a nice Wub Wub Wub when you fire it. At least there is no ghost heat with 7 or 8 MPLs.

As for Meds, they can be plenty viable. Of course the 55 tonners are at the top of the pile, but BJs are very underestimated. When SRMs are fixed, you'll see even more of the different chassis, with the zombie cent and SRM 2D2s, either 16 or 22 tubes.

Although PGI was also reminding us of the "temporary" 2 damage SRM buff....and wanting to bring it back to 1.5.
Why can't we have anything nice?

#106 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostEglar, on 24 April 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

That's not a chicken walker. It's a weird abomination.
Besides, the Cicada isn't a medium, either, it's a fat ugly light ;)

#107 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 22 April 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Well we are getting 3-3-3-3 so there are going to be mediums ;)

And the damnest thing happened on the PTS tonight. Getting a Public Match in a Medium Mech was a long wait. Had 2 cancels and finally just switched to Light, got in asap and then a Medium Match launched after a >4 minute wait.

Where the hell did all the Medium pilots come from.. And on the Test Server no less. LOL!

All other classes, no worries. It was the weirdest thing really. :wub:

Edited by Almond Brown, 24 April 2014 - 04:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users