227 replies to this topic

#41 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 23 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

So the clan mechs with static engines leading to slower max speeds and worse damage mitigation though mobility get shot at with pinpont weapons.
The IS mechs can take bigger engines leading to faster max speeds and better damage mitigation though mobility get shot at with all spread damage.

Does that seem completely backwards to anyone else?

Well at least we won't have to worry about the Clans instantly being better than the IS...right? Oh wait...they are supposed to be.

#42 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

I'm surprised people haven't caught this tidbit. Listen closely at slightly after the 43 minute (about 43:20) mark. Paul specifically worries about the ghost heat effect on certain mechs (the Warhawk) and he says "the efficiency of clan double heatsinks is probably pretty significant" to which Paul says "Yes". The implication here is that clan double heatsinks are better than IS Doubles, i.e. better than 1.4. That will certainly help mechs like the Warhawk and the Nova.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

So the clan mechs with static engines leading to slower max speeds and worse damage mitigation though mobility get shot at with pinpont weapons.
The IS mechs can take bigger engines leading to faster max speeds and better damage mitigation though mobility get shot at with all spread damage.

I think that's what I was saying?
Yes. Yes it was what I was saying!

#44 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Actually, several Clan mechs take abnormally large engines compared to IS mechs. The best example of this is the Thor, which can run at 89.1 kph after speed tweak but carries the stock armor of a 55 ton medium and has slightly less pod space than the 55 ton Ryoken.

#45 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 April 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

45:15 - Want everyone who plays to have a role in the IS. Taking over a planet is epic, want everyone to be involved.

As long as there is less than 5 of you, or exactly 12

#46 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostShlkt, on 23 April 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

Another SRM hit detection bug has been discovered but the fix is not scheduled for inclusion with the April 29th patch; the hit detection issue is significant enough that he's considering an SRM nerf for fear that the fix will make them OP otherwise

Dear lord please let them NOT nerf SRMs once they are just about to start working again...

#47 Kyle Reece

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 23 April 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

All credit goes to /r/OutreachHPG user KRC759

You're welcome :)

#48 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 April 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

Hail of dakka is different than DoT. You get low heat high damage, with no control of spread

Well, it is similar over time appliance of damage (ie neither can apply it in one clump) while
one delivery is following ballistic flightpath.. Perfect for ultras, but I wouldn't like all acs be similar (flavor thing)

#49 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 23 April 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Dear lord please let them NOT nerf SRMs once they are just about to start working again...

If they actually register like they are supposed to, the damage will be ridiculously high. A damage reduction is inevitable.

#50 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 23 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'm surprised people haven't caught this tidbit. Listen closely at slightly after the 43 minute (about 43:20) mark. Paul specifically worries about the ghost heat effect on certain mechs (the Warhawk) and he says "the efficiency of clan double heatsinks is probably pretty significant" to which Paul says "Yes". The implication here is that clan double heatsinks are better than IS Doubles, i.e. better than 1.4. That will certainly help mechs like the Warhawk and the Nova.
No ******* way, two critslots already make them quite a bit better.
Seems to me they are leaving detailing of Clan tech/cw implementation to last minute, as if they are trying to get as many people suckered into buying a pig in the bag. This worries me, how can anyone make an educated choice on the whole package?

#51 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Sigh...

Every time they talk about Clan mechs they look worse and worse. Looks like it won't be fun to play as them, and it looks like it won't be fun to play against them unless you are the type that enjoys picking on the special needs kid. Burst fire AC's are such a poor choice.

Paul catches a lot of flak for things(deservedly), but comes out as not being involved in a lot of the things people are annoyed with. Sure Paul, I believe you. :)

SRMs getting fixed, but are going to need a nerf? Why not just leave them as is if that is the case.

Planetary conquest is going to be epic for everyone except mid size groups who should be happy they didn't get nerfed down to 3 in size as someone suggested. ;) I suppose this means planets will rise and fall based on the random selection of 24 random Rambo's that may or may not work well together? As a solo player consider me less than thrilled by coming chaos that planetary conquest is headed towards.

#52 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostKyle Reece, on 23 April 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

You're welcome :)

Careful... Not everyone will want to like you for it!

#53 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

SRMs getting fixed, but are going to need a nerf? Why not just leave them as is if that is the case.

I'd much rather know I'm going to do a smaller amount of damage than pray for a larger amount.

#54 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 23 April 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Seems to me they are leaving detailing of Clan tech/cw implementation to last minute, as if they are trying to get as many people suckered into buying a pig in the bag. This worries me, how can anyone make an educated choice on the whole package?

PGI: an uneducated consumer is our best customer, and target demographic. :)

#55 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 23 April 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

True, but the Nova and Warhawk are going to be laughable if they don't see some increase in effectiveness. I'd rather the Clans be overpowered (how they were supposed to be) than super difficult to use.

#56 Kyle Reece

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

Careful... Not everyone will want to like you for it!

Got to get my ego stroked somehow.... :)

#57 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Update: 5:10am, 4/25/14

The summary is finished.

I'm going to try to get it posted in a new thread or within the original post of this thread. It's a LONG one that I'm sure you'll appreciate. Forum rules dictate I cannot create a multiple thread on the same subject, and I'm not going to let it be buried here in post 57.

http://www.nogutsnog...hp?topic=1963.0

View PostGhost Badger, on 23 April 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

Peiper...Peiper...do the work so I can read it and discuss! (man deserves a serious cookie)

Edit: At work, listening to the podcast is actually an issue...and in the evenings I have better things to do. Peiper's work IS seriously appreciated).

1st: I have just sat down at the computer to see this announcement. I have a bunch of work to do for grad school, and could do a summary after class. If someone could leak the podcasts to me early, I might be able to better have a summary ready to go along with the announcement. But like the rest of us on the island, I don't get anything before you do.

2nd: When I do summaries, I prefer to run them in my own thread. If I were to do a summary now, I'd create my own thread, then get the riot act read to me by a mod about posting multiple threads on the same subject. Since I would be a repeat offender, I'd probably get banned.

3rd: Looks like KRC759 via AntiCitizenJuan beat me to the punch. Fast work! Bravo!

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 23 April 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

All credit goes to /r/OutreachHPG user KRC759

4th: Scanning through the summary, this one looks like it would have been a blast summarizing! Lots of stuff I'd probably question or editorialize! I might do an editorial summary or review for fun, but I'm not going to post it on page 12 or whatever of this thread. I'll probably post it on NGNG's forums and link it here in this post when I have it ready. I really don't like putting the work into something only to have my post buried where no one will find it. Having no 'news' section in the forums anymore means that it's a popularity war to stay on page one as it is!

So, Battlebadger and friends, I'll see what I can do for a summary sometime after class/after you're asleep, post it to NGNG's forums, and link it here when I'm finished.

Edited by Peiper, 25 April 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#58 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostBilbo, on 23 April 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

If they actually register like they are supposed to, the damage will be ridiculously high. A damage reduction is inevitable.

No chance, right now when hits register, 2.0 damage sucks.

Remember, SRM's were doing like 17 times their normal damage when Splash was alive and well. And it still took Splatcats and someone in the training grounds for us to really care.

When they fix SRM HSR, I actually think they will need to up the damage. Because the game we have now has much bigger maps and working HSR with the long range weapons.

SRM's are going to need to be brutal to make up for having to expose yourself to brawl with them.

#59 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostBilbo, on 23 April 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Completely disagree. If they register fine, the current damage 2/missile is exactly fine. Considering that current PPC+(U)AC metamechs make their ~30 pinpoint damages at ranges up to 1km, it is only fair and balanced that brawlers are extremely lethal at close range.

#60 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 23 April 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

actually suggested burst fire as a solution to problem known as clan ultras, I like the way man thinks :) I hope he will also reduce clanner ranges to about the same as IS.

The way Paul talked, ranges would exceed the IS equivalent, but we don't have any solid numbers for that. I actually think they may nerf the IS ballistics down to x2 and have Clan ballistics burst-fire at x3 by the sounds of it.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Clan UAC20... 20 damage in 4 shots
IS UAC5 5 damage per shell double rate of fire
Clan LBX only get switch ammo

Derp!

It sounded like there was a little confusion between Paul talking about Clan ACs (CACs, lol, which are actually LBXs) and Phil talking about Clan UACs (CUACs). Paul stated at least once that all Clan ACs would be burst fire, and Phil says that they are UACs, blah blah. It's confusing how they went back and forth, but my interpretation is that all Clan ACs will be burst fire, with the Clan LBX-20 firing five 4-damage rounds and the UAC20 firing five 4-damage rounds or ten 4-damage rounds with a chance of jamming.

I'll update the OP with this interpretation.

View PostTechorse, on 23 April 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Wait a minute, does this mean the AC/2 is going to be like this forever? Breaking Mechwarrior weapon ideology and shoot at a shorter range than the 5's? I was hoping all the AC's would receive 2X max range.

ARRRRGH!

I am still thinking this will be the case - maybe not exactly x2, but they are realigning the ranges to be shorter than what the Clan versions will be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users