#61 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 27 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Death speaks the truth even if he is always on the opposing team.

I apologize. I can't run ASRMs as much due to meta concerns (as in, the opposing team carrying meta doesn't help my cause at all).

Btw, Artemis with a TAG is pretty freaking sweet too.

View PostMcgral18, on 27 April 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

...Tag and NARC only affect LRM spread, no?

View PostTrauglodyte, on 27 April 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

Nope, affects SRMs too.

I have not tried that. Maybe I'll sandwich in some NARC or TAG and see how that goes at some point. It's worth testing for me. It may probably be a better solution to avoid Ghost Heat on the Griffin-3M... (ASRM4 = NARC in tonnage).

Edited by Deathlike, 27 April 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#62 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

The range limitations of SRMs will still make them difficult to abuse I think ... but that is good, as long as once you get in range you can deal out siginifcant damage before you are focused fired into the ground.

What I want to see is taking a stack of SRMs is viable but risky - but taking a single pack can be useful as well as a backup short range weapon too.

The balancing of boating vs single use is always a problem but I am hopeful that loading a SRM6 into a mech with just a single ton of ammo would be a good use of tonnage on a bigger mech to give some short range oomph that would make peopel think twice about face hugging it for instance.

#63 thantos911

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostKhobai, on 27 April 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

heat generation is irrelevant to sniping weapons because of how theyre used. you move out of cover, fire, then move back into cover and cooldown. you dont fire sniper weapons nonstop so heat generation simply doesnt matter when comparing weapons like the PPC to weapons like the SRM6.

heat generation is only relevant when youre firing your weapons nonstop. So if you were comparing two brawling weapons then heat would be an important factor. Like an AC20 vs an SRM6 would be a good example of when heat matters when comparing two weapons. PPC vs SRM6 not so much.

When comparing the PPC to the SRM6 the most important factor is range. The PPC absolutely dominates the SRM6 in range. Because of the insane range difference, the SRM6 should significantly outdamage the PPC and currently it doesnt. SRM damage should be at least 2.5 per missile (possibly even 3.0 per missile).

Actually in Beta and for a while in live the SRM's and streaks where all 2.5 per missle. Streaks have now been moved back to 2.5 which was the original value. SRM's have not followed suit, due to the insane damage you can stack with a good srm meta build. My Splatcat used to run 6 srm6's for 90 burst back in beta. I have one shot heavy mechs with that build coming up behind them and alpha'ing. Of course this was prior to ghost heat so you could get off 3 good volleys if needed back then. So the build could be made feasible with ghost heat i guess.

#64 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 April 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

If it is SRM centric, then A1 and 3F for me. Nothing like blasting the rear armor of unsuspecting mechs.

If they fix them to much the 'smash cat' (6 SRM6) will be back in the mix.

View Post3rdworld, on 26 April 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

Probably dust off my 4SP and relive the glory days.

Ahhhh that would be nice, ml/srm6's on the 4sp is imo the way it best to be played, still have mine built that way just never play it. Use 2 lrm10/4ml on 4sp that I have on an alt account, not bad but not as good as the srm version.

#65 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

4SP, I've been running it again in anticipation of SRM fix and 3/3/3/3. Exploding spiders and commandos, head laser zombie kills, and phracts with faces full of SRMs.......it's going to be glorious.

#66 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

If everyone just ran medium mechs the game would be much more balanced and fun. :D

#67 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostDavers, on 27 April 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

If everyone just ran medium mechs the game would be much more balanced and fun. :D

And lights :rolleyes:

#68 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 27 April 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

And lights :rolleyes:

LOL Every match would be a chaotic furball. :D

#69 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostDavers, on 27 April 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

LOL Every match would be a chaotic furball. :D

So bring in hard stops when meahc collide or hit objects ... furballs would be a lot more dangerous to lights who would need to use better piloting skills to avoid being trashed :rolleyes:

EDIT: to stay on topic how fun would it be to SRM smash that laggy spider who just face planted into a wall next to you and stopped!

Edited by Asmudius Heng, 27 April 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#70 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

SRMS ready for brawling deployment...
Poptarts.. LRM boats ? ... DIE !!! :D

Edited: Opps... Wrong.. Place..

Edited by ShinVector, 27 April 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#71 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

My dear... It has been too long.

*suggestively tugs his CN9-A's joystick*

#72 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Trebuchet, oh welcome back my Trebuchet!

#73 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 27 April 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

ROFLMAO!

#74 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hunchback 4SP will be getting dusted off, it was always one of my favourites. Also, with the recent changes My Jenner D has been seeming some good action, even with an approx. 20% no hit rate from the SRMS. With further improvements it will probably push my Firestarters aside for awhile.

As an anti boating measure I'd like to see the spread (of both the groupings over all, and within groupings as well) become progressively larger the more missiles you fire at once.

#75 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostLorcan Lladd, on 27 April 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

I agree.

*polishes his Wang*

#76 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I have been running my SRM brawler Griffin 1N since the partial fix to hit detection.

Just the other night, I manage to dismembered a jump jetting spider with SRMs.
Caught the spider descending from his jump jet flight and aim to the spot where he will touchdown, the 12 SRM took out his leg.
I watch him trying to jump jet away but his tank is still not full, and stab him with triple ML before another blast of 12 SRM took out his side torso and XL engine.

I had a stupid grin on my face the whole night.

#77 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

I have not tried that. Maybe I'll sandwich in some NARC or TAG and see how that goes at some point. It's worth testing for me. It may probably be a better solution to avoid Ghost Heat on the Griffin-3M... (ASRM4 = NARC in tonnage).

I run a TAG on my Griffin 1N to support the ALRM10 that I carry but I also tie it in to my double ASRM4 racks. And, on my Wolverine 7K, I have a TAG in my head mount to run with my triple ARM4 racks. Everything flies out so tight that it is like getting hit with an AC10 per flight. You only need to get the TAG to glance your target to get the 1s of added compactness and that is all that you really need. With a much better hit detection, some of the more centralized SRM capable mechs are going to get kind of scary. The big thing, though, is that some of the people running those builds are going to either skimp out on speed, armor, and/or long ranged weaponry which will ultimately put piloting skills at a premium. I remember the old school Centurion SRM bombs but they, and their SplatCat friends, often died at range cause they got impatient and didn't hug terrain well enough.

#78 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

Awesome 8R
Vic 9S
Hunchy SP
Kintaro 18
Zombie cent
Stalker 3F

All waiting in my mechbay for their glorious revival.
Unless they really nerf the missile damage, why the heck would they do that???

#79 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Would be nice to get back in my JM6A with ASRM-20 and 2LL.
Or the 2D2 version without artemis.

#80 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 27 April 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

What I want to see is taking a stack of SRMs is viable but risky - but taking a single pack can be useful as well as a backup short range weapon too.

That's what I'm hoping for, as well - the more practical a diversified load out, the more this game feels like BattleTech.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users