- - - - -

These Are My Mechs, What Could I Pick Next?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

Spiders Mastered:

5k : 4xMG 1xERLL or 1xAC2, 1xMlas (trollish but fun ;) )
5D : 1xErLLas 2xMlas Or 1xErPPC 1xMlas(2xSlas)
5V : UAVs :ph34r:

Jenners Mastered:

Oxide : 4x streaks or 4x LRM5
F : 6xmlas(splas)
D : 4xmlas 2xstreaks

Jagers Mastered:

DD : 3xuac5 2xmlas or 5xac2
S : 2xac20(or 2xgauss) 2/4xmlas
A : 2xlrm15+A, 1xlrm10+a, 2mlas, 2MGs.

Event Thunder Basic :

5xmlas,1xllas,1x lbx10 or 4xllas 2xMG

Modules I have:

adv.seismic sensor
adv.target decay
adv.zoom

I would like a mech that can bring me some new playstile, what would you suggest?
Also what would you sell to free 3 mech bays(well 2, since 5V is pretty much first on the list)?

Edited by fx8320, 27 April 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Highlander 733C -- fat brawler, awesome tank, fun assault LRM setup (AC20 plus lots of missiles). Victor (any) or Cataphract 3D -- jump sniper or heavy brawler. Shadowhawk (any) -- true general purpose medium (huge build variety) with great mobility.

#3 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

Definitely something heavier with jumpjets. Since you've mostly experimented with fast mechs, I suggest a medium in this case. Shadowhawks are very versatile and can be made into JJ brawlers, AC support, LRM boats or poptarts. It will give you a taste of the other more specialized mechs. Griffin and Wolverine are also good mechs with similar hardpoints except the ballistics, but their areas of application are very limited.

I'd sell the 5V and the free TDR-9S. Only basic'd it won't be very effective and to be honest, other Thunderbolts in general don't feel special at all.

Edited by Tahribator, 27 April 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#4 Mc JR

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

I would sell the jenner-F (other mechs do it better imo) and the Jager-A (its the ugly duck of the Jagers, and I love my ACs) as to what mech to get, It depends on what your play style is, for hit and runs I love my Cent-D and shadow Hawk 2D2, for a damge dealing tank Stalker 5S with 2 ams. But its down to your play style.

#5 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

Get yourself some mediums and at least 1 assault chasis mastered.

Will give you more options when we go to 3/3/3/3 on Tuesday

#6 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. and yeah I should also consider the 3/3/3/3 update so it's between assault and medium.

It's then between highlander, stalker or shadowhawk (cos I tried a cent and victor and I didn't like em).

#7 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

with 3-3-3-3 coming, queue times will vary based on what weight class you are piloting. With that in mind, I'd master out a medium next.

If you like ballistics, go Shadow Hawk. If you prefer energy, go Griffin. Both have great mobility, great hit boxes, and the ability to mount weapons high on the torso for ridge peeking. Awesome mechs. Right now the GRF-3M is my go to machine, followed closely by the SHD-2D2.

Practical tip: if you go Shad, buy the 5M first, and if Griffin buy the 3M first. Those two both sport a 275XL engine that you can use in the other two. Lastly--Griffins do great with a 300XL which you probably already have laying around from your Jenners! Just add Endo and you are set!

Edited by Marauder3D, 27 April 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

Victors are still pretty fun mechs, though there's not a huge difference between the models (especially the 9B and 9S) so there's not a lot of variety.

Cataphrats have a huge variety of builds. The 4X is a popular dakka mech, though I find the Jager superior, the 3D is the popular poptart, and the Ilya is a great hero mech (otherwise the 1X or 2X are ok, but not really super unique).

Shadowhawks are great medium mechs and now there's 5 different options to pick from. The 5M is a great place to start since it comes with an XL and DHS. I think one of the 2 new ones also comes with DHS.

You only need 2 more Thunderbolts to master them out. The 9SE is a fine mech, and the 5S has better twist than the 9S with some different hard points.

#9 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Medium sounds really good right now.

Builds I like :

this Shadowhawk :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed926af7e6b3849

(and I would have already the engine and the weapons)

or this :

http://www.mechspecs...hp?topic=4065.0

(have weapons as well)

and this :

http://www.mechspecs...hp?topic=5955.0

(I have engine).

Which is likely to do better in PUGS ?

And I'll sell the Thunder since I don't need another heavy and the 5V.

But I can't really decide on others, for now I like the Jager-A since it's my only missile boat.

Too bad the 5M has a "bad XL engine".

Edited by fx8320, 27 April 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#10 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Since you've already mastered a couple lights, you might want to look at Cicadas. They'd give you similar handling to your Jenners, plus you'd get an ECM mech with the 3M which can either be set up with 4 MLAS similar a Jenner or with 2 ERLLAS as a sniper which seems to be getting popular lately.

I love my Shadowhawks. You ought to be able to find 3 variants that will give you whatever kinds of load-outs you're most comfortable with. I've got my 2D2, Bugstomper, set up as a light-hunter with an XL290, 2MLAS, LBX10, 4 SSRM and BAP and once I started runningat 94kph with speed tweak, I just started EATING up lights with it. It also brawls pretty decently as well. In 1 match on HPG, I took down a Jenner, a Raven, a Spider, a Griffon, and a Pretty Baby.

Of the 2 assaults you've listed, I'd recommend both, but would probably go with the Highlander first. Again, you can find a chasis that will let you run with almost any load-out you want. Brawler, Poptart, LRM boat, you name it. Personally, I'm watching Smurphy on a daily basis and picking up Stalkers and Highlanders whenever I see them half-off.

#11 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

I decided I'll start with 2h with 3xAC2 1xMlas and XL 300 or 1xERPPC and 2XAC5 since I have all the stuff already, see you ingame guys ;)

Edited by fx8320, 27 April 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#12 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

@Bront Only the SHD-5M atm has DHS pre-installed, which sorta sucks.

I say the next mech choice truly depends on what you want to pilot. If you like lights (which sounds like it as you've a bunch of light mechs in the garage), I would suggest Ravens or Firestarters depending on if you like ECM, JJs, missiles, and ballistics. The Highlander, while many will suggest this, you'd be expecting to move slowly and sluggishly. Stalker is even more sluggish and slow, but will tank heavily, similar to the Centurion. I would highly suggest not selling any mechs, you'd likely find some use someday for any of them (though if you really really really hate the 5V then maybe you can sell that off.) I didn't even sell off my RVN-4X, and honestly it's one of my more fun builds (AC20). I think you should also master the Thunderbolt, as it's solid and tanky as heck.

#13 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

yeah after all I don't like too slow mech so I went Medium for the 3/3/3/3 I think they will be the slower queques.

I'll go with the ShadowHawk 2H first since it can run some good build with XL300, then I think I'll get the 2D(even tho I don't really like poptart, but it seems a really good mech).

After this I'll have to decide between 2D2 and 5M. But I'm more towards the 2D2 as last, even if it's one of the best lighthunters I have oxide so I don't need it as badly, but the 5m looks really sniper-ish and I like it even less.

Edited by fx8320, 27 April 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Want a challenge? Atlas K.

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

For the different playstyle you asked for, you should go Assaults. Highlander or Stalker are both quite different to what you're used to.

However, when 3-3-3-3 comes in, Mediums will be the rarest commodity. In those, you can't go wrong with a Shawk.

#16 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostAppogee, on 27 April 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

For the different playstyle you asked for, you should go Assaults. Highlander or Stalker are both quite different to what you're used to.

However, when 3-3-3-3 comes in, Mediums will be the rarest commodity. In those, you can't go wrong with a Shawk.

yeah and I decided to go Shawk for that reason.
After the medium will master for sure an assault.

#17 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 27 April 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Want a challenge? Atlas K.

It is a good Atlas. People underestimate the CT laser(s) and dual AMS. Just swap out the suicidal stock build for AC20+3xLL, STD350.

Edited by Modo44, 27 April 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#18 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

View Postfx8320, on 27 April 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

yeah after all I don't like too slow mech so I went Medium for the 3/3/3/3 I think they will be the slower queques.

I'll go with the ShadowHawk 2H first since it can run some good build with XL300, then I think I'll get the 2D(even tho I don't really like poptart, but it seems a really good mech).

After this I'll have to decide between 2D2 and 5M. But I'm more towards the 2D2 as last, even if it's one of the best lighthunters I have oxide so I don't need it as badly, but the 5m looks really sniper-ish and I like it even less.

Maybe try out the nice little 2K, which is nice for energy dependent builds. 2H is the most ammo dependent Shadow Hawk, and while it's nice to have around, it's quite dependent on ammo. 2D and 2D2 are less dependent on ballistics, so really it's up to you whether you like missiles and energy with maybe a small ballistic for helping out. Lastly, the 5M is not bad, but indeed is dependent on ballistics. It's more balanced if anything compared to other Shadow Hawks.
My own personal builds of the Shadow Hawks are:
SHD-2D: 1xAC10 3xMPL
SHD-2D2: 3xSRM6 1xSRM4 2xML
SHD-2H: 3xMG 3xSSRM2 1xLPL
SHD-2K: 1xER PPC 1xTAG 3xALRM5
SHD-5M: 2xAC5 2xML

#19 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, I have no problems on the 2H right now, I have 525 ac2 ammo with 3AC2 and 1Mlas. that's 1050 potential damage + the laser, I think it's enough. (on an optimized build I would have 600 ammo, but I'm not taking the FF upgrade to run other builds).

I'll def get the 2D because it looks like the most competitive one (can run 2PPC and 1AC10 with decent speed, when mastered) like this : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f073ff4ab23d72

I see you have a lot of SRM but for me they just don't register...maybe I can check after the update.

5M doesn't look so "exclusive" I can replicate many builds on the others.

So the choice will be between 2K and 2D2.

#20 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Most people with that kind of build say that 2xAC5 1xPPC is best, but I really think that is too situational of a build and once anyone really closes on you, you're likely screwed. I suggest something more balanced and less specialized. If you choose to do this, the mech would be quite slow, and not the best in using this ability. I think if you want to keep that similar role or a build, I would go either one less PPC or go drop AC10 to AC5 and go from there. Also, it's very easily neutered, as the mech's PPCs are on a single arm, so if you keep the build, go for PPCs on both arms, not only one.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users