#201 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 30 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Beta ended eptember 17th, 2013. U.I. 2.0 soon to follow, with Community Warfare 90 days after.

Don't you remember?

The launch was a soft launch.. not the launch of a fully developed game. Most of the new content will be added at a beta level of completion. We are the testers and our feedback and metrics let PGI balance and patch it.

Edit: grammar

Edited by LakeDaemon, 30 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#202 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 30 April 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

The launch was a soft launch.. not the launch of a fully developed game. Most of the new content will be added at a beta level completion. We are the testers and our feedback and metrics let PGI balance and patch it.

How was the Kool-aid?

#203 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 30 April 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

How was the Kool-aid?

I see you are more interested in rallying behind the factless haters. If youre gonna hate, at least get your facts straight. What I said was fact. MWO is not a fully developed game that is getting content patches as would be the case with a traditional dev model. From the beginning, it was announced that MWO would be agile scrum and we would the testers. We watch them make the sausage, we play the buggy new content because PGI is a small dev team with no massive game test department. If you are going to hate, hate them for their sh*ty communication (3PV for example), bad PR, their over hyping and over selling versus low playable content.

#204 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostIIIuminaughty, on 30 April 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

I Understand what you guys are saying, I really do.
But If it is a public test why not open it up for everyone? Last time I checked you had to sign up for it in a certain amount of time to be eligible for it.
So if everyone was testing it this bug would have been recognized then, since it happened when everyone was on the server.

Not trying to sound like an butt, just trying to understand and give future suggestions, ya digg?

It was opened up for everyone, and they even stayed late so it would run until 10pm (PST?). There really wasn't an excuse to miss it unless you were on vacation without Internet.

View PostIIIuminaughty, on 30 April 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

They also have it running during the middle of the day, most people work. during the middle of the day. Why not have it up during prime time. I also know that the devs have to go home sooner or later but, we are leaving feed back in the forums.

As I said, it was even extended for several hours to allow more people to test it. I still wish they would have public tests over the course of several days, but they would need to hire more people for that. Hiring more people would be a good idea across the board, IMO, but that's a whole different thread...

#205 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 30 April 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I see you are more interested in rallying behind the factless haters. If youre gonna hate, at least get your facts straight. What I said was fact. MWO is not a fully developed game that is getting content patches as would be the case with a traditional dev model. From the beginning, it was announced that MWO would be agile scrum and we would the testers. We watch them make the sausage, we play the buggy new content because PGI is a small dev team with no massive game test department. If you are going to hate, hate them for their sh*ty communication (3PV for example), bad PR, their over hyping and over selling versus low playable content.

Aside from the Kool-aid comment, I have been stating facts. If you don't like the facts that I have stated, maybe you should look in to them. There is no point in continuing this discussion.

#206 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 30 April 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Aside from the Kool-aid comment, I have been stating facts. If you don't like the facts that I have stated, maybe you should look in to them. There is no point in continuing this discussion.

Your facts are.. dates? I can accept that. PGI's timeline has been far from reality but I just assume things get done when they get done. Game development is full of unpredictable delays and unforeseen problems especially for a small outfit. Delays dont bother me - I expect them. Its the crazy sale prices and hype for a game that still lacks so much actual content that makes me shake my head. If thats Kool-Aid to you then so be it. I make no pretenses about my position. PGI is guilty of somethings and innocent of others that are repeated over and over on the forums. If people want to hate on PGI for missing proposed dates, they would probably say the same about 90% of the game developers out there. Delays are expected imo.

#207 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Good to hear Niko, And I'll admit it was fun dropping in 12 man's with you last night.Keep up the good work.

#208 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostKaldor, on 29 April 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Yeah, this is true. If PGI had a spotless track record, Id believe that....

Hehe ... even if PGI had a grey, faded and tattered track record, I'd believe it ... but their track record speaks for itself :D

#209 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostIIIuminaughty, on 30 April 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

They also have it running during the middle of the day, most people work. during the middle of the day. Why not have it up during prime time. I also know that the devs have to go home sooner or later but, we are leaving feed back in the forums.

Because they ran the test during their normal operating hours so they could monitor the servers without having to stay late and pay people overtime? Just a guess.

#210 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 29 April 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I consider myself lucky in that I am usually able to work from home on my own hours, but it always amazes me that there are enough people online from 1-2pm on a Tuesday immediately after a patch drops to have matches at all.

MWO is an international game with a decent European and even Australian following. Patch goes out at 10amPDT, 1pm EDT and the servers are usually down for 1 to 2 hours so come back up about 12 PDT, 3pm EDT, 8pm UK, 9pm Euro ... so yes there will be players on at that time of day and it isn't really surprising at all.

#211 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostBilbo, on 29 April 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

The test will take place on Thursday, April 24th, 2014, from 12:00pm to 10:00pm PDT (3:00pm to 1:00am EDT)
I count 10 hrs. Perhaps my math is wrong as well.

I think there must have been some confusion in their announcements or they ran tests on both the 23rd and 24th.

http://mwomercs.com/...-test-schedule/

Date
23-Apr-2014

Focus
Launch Module - Public Queues

Test Time
12pm - 6pm (PDT)

One announced test ended at 6pm and the other at 10pm ... and my personal recollection is reading a 6pm end time in the Announcements forum though the post there now states 10pm ... so I suspect both sides of this argument are likely correct and PGI once again confused the issue with a messed up communications issue.

#212 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostMawai, on 30 April 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think there must have been some confusion in their announcements or they ran tests on both the 23rd and 24th.

http://mwomercs.com/...-test-schedule/

Date
23-Apr-2014

Focus
Launch Module - Public Queues

Test Time
12pm - 6pm (PDT)

One announced test ended at 6pm and the other at 10pm ... and my personal recollection is reading a 6pm end time in the Announcements forum though the post there now states 10pm ... so I suspect both sides of this argument are likely correct and PGI once again confused the issue with a messed up communications issue.

It was originally scheduled to end at 6pm, but they extended it until 10pm about halfway through, likely because a lot of people were having trouble getting into it initially.

#213 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostHarmatia, on 29 April 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

And this is why a lobby of players should exist first. You know, like in League of Legends. Launch, when the match-maker finds other players based on ELO, create a lobby. Then present players with choices. They can discuss who wants to pilot what and make compromises if there are too many for 3/3/3/3 cap.

I have mechs in all classes, but I prefer my Hunchbacks, so I'll almost always go for them when playing. However, if in a lobby there are too many players wanting to run a medium mech, I'll gladly switch to my Battlemaster. Or my Raven. Or my Thunderbolt. Choosing before only creates more problems, though I imagine it was less work to implement. Then again, with some of the user interface 2.0 decisions, maybe this was what PGI thought was best.

*shrug*

Agreed public lobbies should exist. I actually though that was what the launch module was but I guess not.

#214 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

with 3/3/3/3, if a large imbalance of a chasis is being selected, the queue will just keep filling up. I don't suppose anyone at PGI understands linear programming but it is easy to model. The equations are out there for things like banks queues. In=out+accumulation is also a handy equation from chemical engineers. The accumulation will keep building based on the LOWEST selected queue being the limiting factor.

But if you are in a team, you get top priority and by-pass the mess and have pugs fill in around you. Go teams! No wait times there.

Edited by Chemie, 30 April 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#215 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Bandiad upon Bandaid upon Bandiad upon Bandaid upon Bandiad upon Bandaid ad naseum....

Roll back to the final patch during closed beta and start over. It was a better game in that patch than it has EVER been since, most founders I have spoken with agree with the single caveat of all the new mechs.

DEV/MODS: Win for staying in contact with us at least :D

Edited by Claviger, 30 April 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#216 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostClaviger, on 30 April 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Bandiad upon Bandaid upon Bandiad upon Bandaid upon Bandiad upon Bandaid ad naseum....

Roll back to the final patch during closed beta and start over. It was a better game in that patch than it has EVER been since, most founders I have spoken with agree with the single caveat of all the new mechs.

DEV/MODS: Win for staying in contact with us at least :D

I agree compared to now, closed beta was so much better in terms of being a battletech game with some resemblance of balance, with 2.5% increases in the pilot lab, delayed convergence, etc. But a few patches before that final one, we had heat penalties punishing you at 80% heat by melting heatsinks and ammunition. Anyone with AMS ammo and 101% heat went boom.

But sadly that'll never happen. They went away from the simulator aspect and went toward the shooter aspect. Just take this one for what it is, miss those glowing red eyes, and be glad we got rid of that dang film grain! Besides, some things got better. Not sure what, but I'll let you know when I figure that out. :excl:

Maybe like me you'll sit back and hope the next mechwarrior game is more sim than 'shoot-em-up'. In the meantime, enjoy this. Because 3/3/3/3 is coming back in and when it does I'll be a very sad panda until it's gone for Community Warfare's Merc wars...if it ever goes away. (Signature, left side as for why).

#217 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

idea:
Stolen straight from WoT- Show the number of Lights, Mediums, Heavies, and Assaults are in queue once you get in it.. that way, you know if you're part of the problem (the 3/3/1/14 ratio)

Or if you're super afraid of showing live numbers still.. you can do a percentage. Lights, Meds, Heavies, Assaults respectively...(10/25/25/40)
----------------------------

Also, SRM hit detection still seems bunk at the moment. (Threw 36 ASRMs at an Orion CT.. turned the LT/CT/RT bright yellow.. including after 2-3 volleys)

ACs also seem to have an issue. (At least AC5) with hit detection.

#218 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 30 April 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Good news everyone! The team may have figured out what the issue was. They are now working to put the build together and put it through testing. Our goal is to try to get this fix in time for the next patch. We apologize for this additional time spent with old matchmaking rules in place: We are all too eager to bring the Rule of Three's online to see more balanced matches.

Does this mean that the old matchmaking system is in place for the next two weeks at least?

What was the issue? Didn't it work correctly in the test server? What changed?

#219 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostChemie, on 30 April 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

with 3/3/3/3, if a large imbalance of a chasis is being selected, the queue will just keep filling up. I don't suppose anyone at PGI understands linear programming but it is easy to model. The equations are out there for things like banks queues. In=out+accumulation is also a handy equation from chemical engineers. The accumulation will keep building based on the LOWEST selected queue being the limiting factor.

And the only way to fix this is to show approximate wait times while searching for a match.

3/3/3/3 is a bad game mechanic. It literally means that PGI knows some mech classes are underperforming right now, but instead of fixing that imbalance they force the players to use mechs they don't want or face infinite wait times.

#220 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 30 April 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Good news everyone! The team may have figured out what the issue was. They are now working to put the build together and put it through testing. Our goal is to try to get this fix in time for the next patch. We apologize for this additional time spent with old matchmaking rules in place: We are all too eager to bring the Rule of Three's online to see more balanced matches.

Many of us are all too not excited about having it shoved down our throats.

Nonetheless, the communication is appreciated even if the message is not.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 April 2014 - 01:41 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users