Cryengine®3 Powers Mechwarrior® Online™

Official

182 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

Crytek GmbH (“Crytek”) is excited to reveal that Piranha Games’ recently announced premium free-to-play game MechWarrior® Online™ (www.mwomercs.com) will be powered by the all-in-one game development solution CryENGINE®3. Set in the year 3049 during the early stages of a massive interstellar war, MechWarrior Online puts you in command of the most powerful war machine to ever walk the field of battle, the mighty BattleMech™. Command your Mech™ and customize it to suit your battlefield role; upgrade systems, replace weapons, and tweak armor with endless options.

“Here at Crytek we are incredibly proud that Piranha Games have selected CryENGINE®3 to power their forthcoming Mechwarrior Online game,” says Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE. “2012 will see a new segment in the games industry – as free-to-play games will step up to offer true AAA quality to gamers. Both Piranha and Crytek believe in the potential of this market and we look forward to helping them achieve their vision for an amazing game experience. With our own game, Warface and more than 20 of our current CryENGINE licensees also working on AAA quality, free-to-play games, CryENGINE is becoming the technology of choice for the highest quality online games.”
MechWarrior Online delivers a rich online experience, rewarding everything a player does with experience points, C-Bills, unlocks, and recognition. Upgrade skills and refine your role in gameplay using an all-new leveling system, and up-to-the minute detailed player statistics allow you to compare, track and share your progress with other players.

“Working with CryENGINE is a true pleasure," said Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games. "It is definitely the best choice for us: Both the character animation pipeline with the procedurally and physics based animations and the destruction system fit our goals perfectly and allow us to develop a truly unique AAA experience based on the award-winning BattleTech Universe."
MechWarrior® Online™ will focus on four distinct pillars
  • Mech Warfare, the embodiment of Mech to Mech combat.
  • Role Warfare, the ability for player’s to customize their experience to suit their own style of gameplay.
  • Community Warfare, the ability to let the players take part in epic combat for territorial control.
  • Information Warfare, an element on the battlefield that incorporates information technology to help control the fight.
Get more information on MechWarrior Online and reserve your pilot name here: www.mwomercs.com.

About Piranha Games

Piranha Games Inc. was founded in January 2000 by Russ Bullock and Bryan Ekman. Piranha Games is focused on the core action games market and has worked on exciting IPs such as: Need For Speed®, Transformers® 2: Revenge of the Fallen and Duke Nukem Forever®. Please join us at www.piranha-games.com

About Crytek

Crytek GmbH ("Crytek") is one of the world’s leading independent development studios for interactive entertainment. It is based in Frankfurt am Main (Germany) and has additional studios in Kiev (Ukraine), Budapest (Hungary), Sofia (Bulgaria), Seoul (South Korea) and Nottingham (UK). Crytek is dedicated to creating exceptionally high-quality video games for next-generation consoles and PC, powered by their proprietary cutting-edge 3D-Game-Technology, CryENGINE®. Since its foundation in 1999, Crytek has created the multi-award winning PC titles Far Cry®, Crysis® (awarded best PC Game of E3 2007 and Best Technology at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards), Crysis Warhead® (awarded Best Graphics Technology at IGN Best of 2008 Awards) and Crysis® 2 (awarded Best Shooter of E3 2010 and Gamescom 2010). For more information please check www.crytek.com or www.mycryengine.com.
Crytek, Crysis and CryENGINE are registered trademarks or trademarks of Crytek GmbH in the USA, Germany and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.CryENGINE®3 powers MechWarrior® Online™CryENGINE®3 powers MechWarrior® Online™

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

I knew it. :) Great to hear, *shexy is shexy!

Edited by CoffiNail, 17 November 2011 - 11:01 AM.

#3 Buganeer

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt, Germany

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

Good news everyone! :) Can't wait to see more stuff from you guys.

#4 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

You must've seen Living Legends. :V

I'm working on something using CryEngine 3 myself. No wonder things are positively flying for you guys.

#5 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

WAT!? This is awesome! Rock on, guys! Thanks for believing in us, Crytek. Oh, man, this is gonna be nice.

View PostGhost, on 17 November 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

You must've seen Living Legends. :V

That's what I'm saying. And MWLL is an unofficial capacity where the guys have to work against the limitations of the engine. Here, we're working with it. Not only that, but an advanced version of what the MWLL guys have to deal with. Shoot, I'd have saved this info for one of those Wednesday reveals. :) But that's just me.

Edited by Alistair Steiner, 17 November 2011 - 11:16 AM.

#6 RoundTop

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

I hope there will be some love for us using laptops that are not screaming fast gaming systems (Only somewhat decent). I want to enjoy Mechwarrior, but won't put out $1500 for the pleasure. The Crytek engine is known for pushing the specs of graphics cards.

#7 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 17 November 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

>snip<
Register for beta, get more information on MechWarrior Online and reserve your pilot name here: www.mwomercs.com.
<Snip>

As the button surely is just missing - let it be known that I have now signed up for Beta! Thx =D

ah and the newsd is great also btw, thank you!

~S~
Daniel

#8 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Glad to hear about this, living legends is a great visual game on the cry2 engine, so with a professional team able to dedicate themselves to this and the engine they are using being as workable as it is they will be able to put out some amazing graphics (not to mention destructible terrain) for us! Mechwarrior Online just got a boost to awesomeness for sure.

#9 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

Awww, frakk it.

How am I supposed to play this game without melting my laptop now? I ain't got the budget for a brand new desktop.

Awww, Beta button is missing too?

#10 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostSteadfast, on 17 November 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

As the button surely is just missing - let it be known that I have now signed up for Beta! Thx =D ah and the newsd is great also btw, thank you! ~S~ Daniel

Sigh.. Typo. Go go marketing companies saying dumb stuff.

#11 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

NICE!

First the words Sim where bandied about, then Persistant, then CryTek Engine. It's like they're reading my mind.

Awesome.

TrackIR, TrackIR, TrackIR...

Edited by helmer, 17 November 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#12 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

It seems those marketing companies are as excited as we are :)

#13 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

... I was truly rendered speechless about this announcement. Been playing MWLL for more than two years now and I know how beautiful a mechwarrior game can look on the cryengine.

For people that are worried about their rigs, remember the CryEngine 3 was more optimized with consoles limitations in mind. MWLL is built on the CryEngine 2 and the mod devs have stated that a lot of the overhead in performance was due to code that wasn't optimized or buggy and that they can't touch in the main source code.

Beyond that, several MWLL devs where picked up by Crytek way before this so they have a VERY good understanding on what would been needed for an challenge like this.

SO AWESOME /)^3^(\

Edited by SquareSphere, 17 November 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#14 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 17 November 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

Maybe Crytek knows that you secretly do have a working Beta in-house, but aren't ready to release, and someone dun goofed.

y u hied beta from us?

How in the world have I made 100 posts? That's impossible.

#15 jrock

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

so does this answer any system spec questions?

I know I will be buying a graphics card for my PC - just need to know how high the bar is.

#16 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

"Command your Mech™ and customize it to suit your battlefield role; upgrade systems, replace weapons, and tweak armor with endless options."

Bryan, would you care to rate the Marketing level of that particular snippet for us as well. :)

#17 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

View PostXhaleon, on 17 November 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

Maybe Crytek knows that you secretly do have a working Beta in-house, but aren't ready to release, and someone dun goofed.

y u hied beta from us?

How in the world have I made 100 posts? That's impossible.

If my understand is correct, Development started in late October on the actual code for the game, but their development time frame was extensively long leading up to it.

EITHER WAY FREAKING YES!

I have one complaint... I get lost in the beauty that is just the free MWLL, the explosions ,purdy light and sounds... A pro team making stuff... oh I am crying just worrying about the time I will be mid battle, walk around a corner and looking down a 5 block urban street and getting lost in the sights...

If maps are anything like Salvatoris's Urban Jungle for MWLL... holy shazbot these cities will be amazing places to fight!!! !!!

#18 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 17 November 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Bryan, would you care to rate the Marketing level of that particular snippet for us as well. :)

Sounds very interesting to me. I wonder what that means? :D

#19 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 17 November 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

if maps are anything like Salvatoris's Urban Jungle for MWLL... holy shazbot these cities will be amazing places to fight!!! !!!

Oh man i know we all loved Sal's map even though it wasn't complete. just *** I feel like it's chirstmas come early!

#20 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 17 November 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well I told Paul I wanted underlighting for my missile racks. I think we may get lucky and have some damn amazing Need For Speed Underground 1/2 customization, I still feel those NFS games were the simply best in customization for your car... now imagine if you could slap decals on any way you want, paint each area, ohhh... I need to go change my pants, I just had a nerdgasem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users