Cryengine®3 Powers Mechwarrior® Online™

Official

182 replies to this topic

#61 Black Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

To all the people who have a cruddy computer right now. You guys have have some time to upgrade, save money!

On topic, I knew they would use the CE3 and I am glad they did. Excellent engine when optimized correctly (for the PC). Crysis 2, even though does not look ground-breaking performs very well on mid-high end computers, alas i cannot vouch for lower end.

#62 Alistair Marsden

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGermany / Bavaria / Munich

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

just stay away from that menace/annoyance/spyware called steam, please!

#63 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

Awesome news, the question of which engine was one of the things I've been wondering about since I first read the FAQ. My machine is above minimum spec. Will probably upgrade the vid card, which I was planning to do anyway.

#64 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

View Postphelanjkell, on 17 November 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Still unknown is what type of 'look' they are going to try and capture using the CryEngine 3, and I can not wait to find out!!

Considering the Great Houses have been at War for a very long time (off and on pretty regular) I suspect there would be very little "Pristine" left in the way of Cities and the likes. Given that I am guessing (and hoping) a lot of dark waste with the odd "pristine Gem" thrown in. Just so we can trash the thing real good. lol :)

#65 Anastasius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

I look forward to the beta test. You get the meta game right and this should be profitable sir.

#66 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Guys ive not played either crisis 1 or 2 but have the total war games . Also battlefield 3 on ultra with no stuttering or lag where do you think the graffics would be med high or ultra in this

#67 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

I have a mental image of rounding a corner and letting go with a gauss rifle, seeing he ion trail behind the shot and watching windows burst all down the block as the round whips past..

Made of happy...

#68 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, no Steam, please? I was leary to try it because I knew it wouldn't be healthy -though I really wanted to play New Vegas, and I would love to play Skyrim-, but my oldest wanted to d/l it to play TF2 on the boys' computer, and I've now run Microsoft Security Essentials on it three times and I finally got rid of the spyware. I run maintenance on their computers once every other week, and ran it last weekend before he decided to d/l Steam and play TF2, so I know it wasn't just something else they were doing. If MWO ends up on Steam, or any other third-party service, I will not be able to play it, which would make me pretty sad.

#69 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

View PostAJC, on 17 November 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

as someone who can only afford 4-7 year old spec machines this announcement makes me sad :)

Have you checked out Tom's Hardware's 500 dollar gaming system builder? If you already have a case/PSU/CD-ROM drive, etc, you can shave that number down really fast. I build a friend a computer that gets them 50 FPS in Bad Company 2 (on medium/high settings) and it cost them a total of 325 dollars.

#70 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

With Crysis, anyone well knows, the graphics are way more than just sweetness spread on butter. I have all three Crysis games, and the sequel just absolutely rocks with the CryEngine 3. Nice to know that I'll playing something very familiar.

#71 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

If I remember correctly you needed an Ultra High End Rig to play Crysis/MWLL. Yeah Yeah...Newest hardware is the best blah blah...If the games designed for the High End gang it will eliminate a large number of people. Design the game with Hardware from 3-5 Years ago you will have more people playing there-fore more Income for you the game makers, which is the whole point of Developing games.

#72 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Cryengine3 is fine - German engineering :)

Serious, I hoped it would be this one!

#73 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

View PostVoodooLou Kerensky, on 17 November 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

If I remember correctly you needed an Ultra High End Rig to play Crysis/MWLL. Yeah Yeah...Newest hardware is the best blah blah...If the games designed for the High End gang it will eliminate a large number of people. Design the game with Hardware from 3-5 Years ago you will have more people playing there-fore more Income for you the game makers, which is the whole point of Developing games.

I built my computer about 2 years ago, and it still exceeds the minimum specs for Crysis 2 (published earlier in this thread) by quite a ways. For the same CPU and graphics card bought today the price would be: Radeon HD 4870 $50 (used) to $135 (new), i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU $170 (new).
So about $300 (new), plus throw in some memory, etc. and I think it's fairly affordable...especially with 9 months until release (or so).

#74 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

View PostVoodooLou Kerensky, on 17 November 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

Its called scalability. If you have an older rig, reduce your settings.

Plus these guys have been developing games as their full career, i'm pretty sure they know their stuff so your last sentence sound alot like trying to be a smart ***.

#75 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

All I can say is: "Aww yeah!" :) Great to know the graphics will be good.

To all those who need to upgrade, I get that it may involve spending some money, but this is inevitable as time goes on and technology progresses. You will either have to turn all graphics setting down or save up and upgrade. If you love the game, then you will find a way to play it.

I also second the call to not choose Steam as the sole means of distribution. Often very slow downloading and a lot of compatibility issues. My most recent experience was downloading Crysis Wars to play MWLL. I had to hack my registry entries to get the CD Key to work because STEAM didnt use the proper Crysis distribution CD Key format. Those who play MWLL might be familiar with this. Other games have also caused a lot of hair loss for a lot of other I know, especially when it comes to Steam and updates.

I would love to see direct download to hard drive from dedicated servers, and then ability to install manually. The game itself should be able to receive the "pushed" updates as they become available or purchased.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Nav, 18 November 2011 - 04:13 AM.

#76 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 17 November 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

A lot of players of MWLL do not have kickin gaming rigs. They may not be getting 100FPS but they can play it at enjoyable FPS and MWLL is more hungry than Crysis. MOST modern PCs should have little problems running this game. I mean if your PC was made in 2004, well good luck with most newer games anyways lol

Wrong! I have a decent system, but it's getting a little old I'll admit... Core2 Quad Q9550 @2.83Ghz with 4Gb of RAM and a GeForce GTX 460 with 1Gb of VRAM on Windows 7 64bit, and I was struggling in FPS with settings in the low in MWLL. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing it in fact. Funny though, cause I could play Crysis Warhead just fine with settings on HIGH. It must have been the bad map optimization and textures of MWLL that caused my system to crawl... I did have a slight overheating issue that I fixed after I stopped playing by changing the thermal compound on my CPU, and haven't retried MWLL since... Maybe it's better now, I'd have to see...

I sure hope that CryEngine3 is less demanding and less hungry or I'll have a bad time playing MWO without needing a full PC upgrade (which I can't afford this year or the next).

For the ones interested in some GeForce benchmarks of Crysis 2 (which uses CryENGINE3): http://www.geforce.c...is-2-benchmarks

Note however that they used an Intel Core i7-960 3.2 GHz CPU, 6GB of DDR3 RAM and Windows 7 64-bit, and utilized the latest 266.58 NVIDIA WHQL GPU drivers, for all of their tests. They just changed the video cards.

My system is far below that, so my CPU and RAM would be a huge bottleneck and not even come close to those benchmark results. I'd be curious to know the FPS Crysis 2 could run on my system with settings at HIGH (which is the LOW in Crysis 2)...

Edited by Tweaks, 18 November 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#77 Electus

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

I am looking forward to great in-game graphics and physics. I am quite confident that Infinite Game Publishing will give developers, Piranha, free reign to use most of what CryEngine 3 has to offer. I am also quite confident that PvE modes will be realized in the near future.

#78 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

If your truly curious about how your Rig may hold up, download a modern game Demo that allows MAX video setting to be employed.

I heard the Crysis Demo can be pretty demanding.

#79 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Crysis ONE makes even todays computers weep for mercy, if you go all out pretty stuff . .
CryEngine 3 runs on consoles . .

#80 Electus

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

View PostAdridos, on 17 November 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

I do not like the new CryEngine personally, bcause it was "consolided" - smaller physics, blur, shot range of vision,...
But I saw what devs from CryTech made with it on PC and I wish luck to devs making their game as good and nice as it deserves. :)

I agree that the last Crysis installment was scaled down quite a bit in order to port to consoles. CryEngine 3 was designed for cinematic quality complex 3D real-time rendering and physics but EA didn't want to pay Crytek time and money for complex programming especially since C2 would be ported to consoles. That's another reason why I'm looking forward to MWO as a PC exclusive game.
Just in case for other readers, here's a video of CryEngine 3 showing what it is capable of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users