- - - - -

Wanting To Play Again...but 51 Patches?

8 replies to this topic

#1 twowpmman

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

The launcher is now on patch 2/51 after a couple of minutes. Yeah I've been gone a while, but can't they be consolidated? MWO has always been a few-minutes-here-and-there guilty pleasure. See you guys in a week or so :lol:

#2 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Stop the patcher. Uninstall, and reinstall the game. You don't need to deal with 51 patches, and it will get rid of the old software... here's what I tell my people to do whenever a major change to the game even comes out... http://www.wolvesau.....php?f=20&t=725

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 29 April 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Stop the patcher. Uninstall, and reinstall the game. You don't need to deal with 51 patches, and it will get rid of the old software... here's what I tell my people to do whenever a major change to the game even comes out... http://www.wolvesau.....php?f=20&t=725

yup. It's annoying having to fix my preferences, but since I only occasionally use my laptop to game, I tend to have huge patch updates each time. Those in turn, tend to corrupt over wifi, so I just reinstall each time in those cases.

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

Run the repair tool instead of the patcher. :P

#5 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Negative, the repair tool will not work for that sort of thing. Take it from someone with experience, you need to uninstall the game, clean your system of everything MWO, PGI, etc., especially from your registry, as I detail in my post on my forums, which was detailed on these forums, first, when I was having really bad luck with Memory Allocation Errors, and then reinstall the game fresh. The repair tool is okay for minor crashes, Memory Allocation Errors from new installs, but ANY TIME you get a major update, such as UI 2.0, DX 11, or yesterday's busted-ass Launch Module, you need to see if the game plays well, first, or if you start getting a bunch of problems. If you do get a bunch of problems, you need to uninstall and reinstall to get rid of old software. PGI have yet to learn how to completely get rid of outdated software from any updates, and the problems that can be caused by the outdated stuff is too much to simply run the repair tool.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 30 April 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 30 April 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

While a great post... a little formating could really help. And a link to the post where you detailed it all. N/m found that up higher.

Edited by Koniving, 30 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Yeah if you have an install that's either been running non-stop for several months, or has been left idle for months/yers and not kept up to date, you will wantg to do a clean slate uninstall with registry clean. Even if you patch every week, but do so over a long period of time, your installation may get funky as older files accumulate.

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Even if you rarely play, fire up the launcher to patch every week and then you should be good to go.

As to the uninstall/reinstall every so often advice...I've never uninstalled. Had to use the repair tool a time or two after a bad patch but that's it.

Old files shouldn't matter if they are over-written by newer ones or replaced with different versions. I do recommend using CCleaner to keep the registry neat, and Defraggler to keep the fragmentation to a minimum. I suspect that accomplishes much the same as uninstalling does....

#9 ZachMan119

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 115 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia somewhere...

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Well, you are going to be waiting for a while....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users