- - - - -

Need Some Suggestions From The More Wise

26 replies to this topic

#1 Epicurius

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello all. Long time Mechwarrior fan. Short time MWO player.

I have read a few guides that state NEVER convert GXP to XP (or maybe it was the other way around) and to 'Unlock elite ASAP.'

In the duration that I have been playing, I have found that I really like playing in my Firebrand that I purchased 50% off. However....I have now unlocked all his basic stuff and am just accumulating XP. I understand that I have to do this same thing to three mechs in this (weight class or chassis - I don't know which) but each of the other mechs cost a lot of C-Bills. So what should I do? I currently have about 8,000 GXP and continue to rack up XP on this mech. But I am too poor to purchase any of the other Jagers. So I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to just grind for C-bills to get in the other mechs to unlock Elite in the Firebrand?
2. What should I focus my GXP purchases on?
3. Is it dumb or smart to convert my XP to GXP? (The fact that it costs real money to do this is an irritant.)

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to best spend all the different forms of 'currency' in this game? (Which by the way is a MAJOR irritant to me - Having four different forms of 'currency' - C-Bills/MC/XP/GXP to purchase/unlock things is baffling to me.) There HAS to be a better way.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

S

#2 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

1) Grind or MC
2) Modules you will use the most.
3) Depends, how bad do you need the GXP?

#3 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

To qualify one of your points, you should feel free to convert your XP to GXP, but only during a sale. PGI occasionally run double-exchange weekends where 1 buys 50 GXP instead of 25. Change it then.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Your earn regular, free GXP at a slow rate. If you want to convert excess XP inot GXP (at a cost) to give yourself a big pile of GXP, then sure, spend some on mech skills- By doing so you are turning time + money into faster mech progression. But, don't spend your small amount of free GXP (if you do not convert chunks of xp into gxp) on mech skills, you need it for modules.

Even if you have excess GXP, you still need to own the mechs in order to buy skills. So either way you need to grind CB or spend MC to buy new mechs. Luckily the firebrand gives you a bonus to lessen the grind.

GXP is primarily meant for unlocking modules. However, if you're low on , save your GXP until you can also afford the module you want (they cost millions of each)

Save your for Hero Mechs(not too many), mech bays (you will need many of these!), a small amount of colours/patterns (one-time use patterns are much economical), and maybe blocks of premium time (faster C-bill gains!). XP is for leveling up the mech you earned it on, gxp is for modules (at several thousand gxp per module unlock)

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

The only things you should spend MC on are Hero mechs, mech bays, colors, and single use camos.

You will have to grind the c-bills to get two other Jager mechs, but you already have a hero so it shouldn't be too bad.

Do NOT use GXP to get mech skills unless you have converted a large sum of XP to GXP for that sole purpose. GXP is best used for unlocking modules.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostEpicurius, on 30 April 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

1. Do I need to just grind for C-bills to get in the other mechs to unlock Elite in the Firebrand?
3. Is it dumb or smart to convert my XP to GXP? (The fact that it costs real money to do this is an irritant.)

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to best spend all the different forms of 'currency' in this game? (Which by the way is a MAJOR irritant to me - Having four different forms of 'currency' - C-Bills/MC/XP/GXP to purchase/unlock things is baffling to me.) There HAS to be a better way.

1) Pretty much. Or buy them with MC but that's a waste.
2) Modules; it is "pilot experience." Think of it as knowledge points. You use it to learn how to get black market after-products to enhance your ride or to tinker with and improve mechs without having actually used it.
3) The only reason to do that is because GXP takes a long time to accumulate (it raises about 1/8th the rate of mech XP). It cost me 5 dollars to unlock 75% of the modules we have now but I did it on a sale using one mech's experience. The idea of it is only a shortcut as modules give you massive and unfair "end game" abilities.

Side note: Think of XP and GXP as skill systems. XP for mechs, GXP for the pilot. Ever played a role playing game? Level up.
So there's really two currencies. Freebie points and cash the game should have to earn rather than freely get.

Also, if you like painting stuff don't get the single use camos that's a waste. >.> But only if you like painting stuff (as in the long run single use becomes more expensive).

#7 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Don't blow your GXP on things lik 'mech efficiencies. You bought the 'mch to play it, why not just play the matches you will anyway and get a feel for the 'mech.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Also, if you like painting stuff don't get the single use camos that's a waste. >.> But only if you like painting stuff (as in the long run single use becomes more expensive).

Well. If you plan to change a mech's camo pattern more than 10 times (across all mechs of a chassis type) then you need a permanent unlock.

any fewer than 10 repaints and the one-time use becomes more economical. For the mechwarrior on a budget, 3 single-use camos on their mechs is quite a bit cheaper than one permanent pattern.

I have Phranken permanent for my Stalkers, which now I barely ever pilot and only ever unpainted one of them once. Single-use camos would have saved me a few !

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

I'll give ya that. I've changed mine so many times that when it cost per paint change, I got a few thousand MC and about 30,000,000 cbills back when the paint system changed over to the permanent system. That was back then. Since then, well... just look at every "me" in the Perfect Screenshot thread.

Many patterns! Much awesome.

But truth be told it's only if you change patterns that it matters as you mentioned. I just do that...a lot...
Spoiler

It's just so good! <-click for lots more.

Edited by Koniving, 30 April 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#10 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hello all. Long time MechWarrior fan. Short time MWO player.

Hello!

I have read a few guides that state NEVER convert GXP to XP (or maybe it was the other way around) and to 'Unlock elite ASAP.'

Don't use ur GXP as XP for your mechs, if you want to do that, then like other have said wait till they XP to GXP sale an move any unneeded mech XP to GXP then use ur GXP to unlock stuff.

In the duration that I have been playing, I have found that I really like playing in my Firebrand that I purchased 50% off.

Very nice mech, and great timing to start playing an to hit a sale like that!

However....I have now unlocked all his basic stuff and am just accumulating XP. I understand that I have to do this same thing to three mechs in this (weight class or chassis - I don't know which) but each of the other mechs cost a lot of C-Bills.

yes its 3 mechs of the same chassis type.. as for the cost to get new ones.. ull get that really quick if u keep playin ur Firebrand that 30% cbill boost it gives is very noticeable. im not sayin play it non stop but until u have the cbills to get ur new mech +upgrades, then play new mech till all basics are unlocked then jump back to the Firebrand for faster cbill gain, n repeat.

So what should I do? I currently have about 8,000 GXP and continue to rack up XP on this mech. But I am too poor to purchase any of the other Jagers.

Save all GXP!! IMHO the 9x9 coolshot upgrade(15k GXP) should first then the other coolshot upgrade that give the 6 and ur new 9x9 a 20% boost. (the 9x9 upgrade does not increase the cbill cost of the "9coolshot" module)

So I have a few questions:

1) Yes. or you could use MC but I wouldn't suggest that.
2) IMO the coolshot upgrades, preferably the 9x9 first. But as other have said above use it on "Modules you will use the most"
3) Again as other have said "only during a sale. PGI occasionally run double-exchange weekends where 1 Posted Image buys 50 GXP instead of 25. Change it then."

1) Cbills - stockpile if you can. this means not spending it on modules every match (Airstrikes/Artty & coolshots)
2) MC - MC only for Hero mechs n mech bays, and XP to GXP sales. If your gonna buy camos/paint jobs get the ones that cost 1k+ as you will be able to put it on more then just one mech.
3) XP - for the most part XP can only be spent on the mech that's stockpiling it. if you have mechs that are "Mastered" then when the XP to GXP sales roll around strip ur unneeded XP off them n move it to GXP for other mechs or to unlock modules or upgrades for you modules.
4) GXP - 2 n 3 above sum this up.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hope this helps.

#11 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

3) The only reason to do that is because GXP takes a long time to accumulate (it raises about 1/8th the rate of mech XP).

GXP earned is 1/10 of the XP earned each match, not 1/8.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 30 April 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

GXP earned is 1/10 of the XP earned each match, not 1/8.

I pulled a number from places where the sun don't shine. Just turned out the real number is worse than expected. :D

#13 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

I pulled a number from places where the sun don't shine. Just turned out the real number is worse than expected. :D

Lol. I thought it was worse even. I thought it was 5%, not 10% .

#14 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostEpicurius, on 30 April 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

In the duration that I have been playing, I have found that I really like playing in my Firebrand that I purchased 50% off. However....I have now unlocked all his basic stuff and am just accumulating XP. I understand that I have to do this same thing to three mechs in this (weight class or chassis - I don't know which) but each of the other mechs cost a lot of C-Bills. So what should I do? I currently have about 8,000 GXP and continue to rack up XP on this mech. But I am too poor to purchase any of the other Jagers. So I have a few questions.

That's a decent amount of GXP that you have built up, which leads me to believe that you should have a healthy pile of Cbills as well.
If you can't afford any of the other Jagers... what are you spending your Cbills on?

#15 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Lol. I thought it was worse even. I thought it was 5%, not 10% .

GXP gained = 7.5% of XP gained

Some modules cost as much as 15,000 GXP to unlock; if you grind all your GXP the hard way then you must earn 200,000 XP for one module. So don't waste GXP on pilot efficiencies until you've already unlocked all the modules you're interested in. :D

#16 Epicurius

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostFut, on 30 April 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

That's a decent amount of GXP that you have built up, which leads me to believe that you should have a healthy pile of Cbills as well.
If you can't afford any of the other Jagers... what are you spending your Cbills on?

Weeelllll.....Because I had a little MC....and I made a decision to convert XP to GXP without really doing much research. Now that I have done it...I am worried that I have made a mistake.

In addition....I am still trying to figure out what weapons and equipment I like to play with. I have gone from PPC to AC to ERLLs back to PPCs and now thinking that maybe...just maybe a big AC20 or two AC10s would be fun. So I have bought those weapons.

I just wish there was a way to test weapons before you had to pay for them. Or at the very least the exchange rate from buying to selling was not so terrible. That would encourage more variety between bouts I think.

Please don't judge too harshly.....I don't play as a Min/Maxer.

Thanks for all the responses however!

#17 Epicurius

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostShlkt, on 30 April 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

GXP gained = 7.5% of XP gained

Some modules cost as much as 15,000 GXP to unlock; if you grind all your GXP the hard way then you must earn 200,000 XP for one module. So don't waste GXP on pilot efficiencies until you've already unlocked all the modules you're interested in. :D

Ok...So...Is there a thread/guide as to the best 'bang for your buck' modules? I would hate to purchase something like Hill Climb (or whatever it is called) and everyone say "Hill Climb sucks! You should buy Seismic Sensor!" :excl:

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

#18 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

The best modules to get are:

Seismic, Target Decay, Cap Accel if you cap points, Sensor Range, and advanced zoom.

#19 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 30 April 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

The best modules to get are:

Seismic, Target Decay, Cap Accel if you cap points, Sensor Range, and advanced zoom.

Eh...

The BEST modules are Coolshot, Air, and Arty, but if you are trying to save c-bills they are not ideal.

The only modules that are flat out bad are the weapon range modules, improved gyros, air and arty accuracy, and 360 retention (although out of the bad ones it is the best one). These modules are not worth taking over the other options.

Everything else you can read the description and get a good idea if you will enjoy using it or not.

For example, on my mechs that use multiple ER LL's I like using the advanced zoom so I can pick off components at a distance with greater accuracy. I also like using Hill climb on my heavy and medium mechs that do not have jump jets for slightly better agility on uneven terrain.

However, this is only if I am not using coolshot, air, and arty, because the combination of those three is the best 99% of the time.

The only exception I would say is advanced target decay. If you are boating streaks or LRMs it is the most important module to have.

Edited by Roughneck45, 30 April 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#20 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 30 April 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Eh...

The BEST modules are Coolshot, Air, and Arty, but if you are trying to save c-bills they are not ideal.

The only modules that are flat out bad are the weapon range modules, improved gyros, air and arty accuracy, and 360 retention (although out of the bad ones it is the best one). These modules are not worth taking over the other options.

Everything else you can read the description and get a good idea if you will enjoy using it or not.

Very true, I was meaning the ones to unlock for GXP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users