" Easter Eggs "

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think "easter eggs" can be fun ? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see easter eggs implemented in the game ?

1. Yes (49 votes [75.38%])

Percentage of vote: 75.38%

2. No (16 votes [24.62%])

Percentage of vote: 24.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

for those who dont know what is an easter egg :

http://en.wikipedia....ster_egg_(media)

SO - I have an idea which probably doesnt need much to be implemented and can add an interesting aspect in the game.

you know probably what easter eggs are now... What if PGI adds some on the maps ?

like...a paint on the cave walls in forrest - paint that resembles some fight from older MW games..the fight we see in mw4 intro can be an example....a paint that resembles the Prehistoric Cave Paintings.

or add a crate or warehouse building that can be destroyed, a random one...and when destryed to see inside a smaller model of your future mech that will be added in game, or future weapon...or a legendary mech from mechwarrior universe...it can be a very nice aditional way to advertise your next changes...

these are just some ideas that came to me on the moment...but i am sure we can think at many more, ...if is not that hard to implement them I think they could ease the pressure from the ppl, make them smile a bit, relive some nice memories for those who know mw history, make them wonder about your future plans.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

PGI actually had an Easter Egg already.
Forest Colony and/or River city; know those 'housing pods'?

Find one that you can look inside, if you still can.

Some have a 'living room' scene, with a couch, table, 1950s television, various other trinkets, some littered magazines, and what looks like a really blurry PC Gamer on the table.
I'm serious.

Now, not all of the following are 'jokes' and therefore aren't really Easter Eggs, but...
There's also what I call the Titanic, originally hidden on the edge of the out of bounds, in an area that gameplay did not put players until well after 2013 started. This used to allow you to look inside some parts of it and it looked like a naval cruise ship with balconies. The 'wings' had lots of viewports large enough for small crowds of couples to stand out and look at the stars and/or the scenery. Whatever happened to Frozen City was sudden. I would have found it fitting to find dead bodies there.

Terra Therma has several hidden dead mechs, some within the lava flows. Including the only sighting I've seen of a Commando Corpse doodad (there are none on Tourmaline).
Posted Image

Posted Image

There's a crashed dropship on Tourmaline that you can look inside. It's different than the one in Frozen City.

There are 7 outposts on Alpine. There are also several broken down mech transport vehicles, several communication stations, and both main bases can be attacked from the ridges along the outside of the map which are climbable but easy to get stuck on.

On River City, the statues are holding golf balls. On one of the tallest roof tops, near the Dock side of the city, there's the 'start' of a Golf Course. Another roof with grass on it also has tiny trees. There used to be a clock tower on River City too, but the clock disappeared. Though not sure where the joke rests here. Unless it's this.
Posted Image
In which case, wrong sport. Maybe it was that executives play golf often? o.O;

River City also has cranes that you can get on for BF3-style sniping. While not an intentional easter-egg, it's lots of fun. Here's how to get up there. It's a lot easier now with almost any mech that has 5 jumpjets including Quickdraws.

Edited by Koniving, 03 May 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

The "corpses" on TT are easy to miss because of the coloration - I think I may have found one or two

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 02 May 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

The "corpses" on TT are easy to miss because of the coloration - I think I may have found one or two

The commando corpse is basic green. Most of the Hunchback and Catapult wreckages look melted.

Of all those, only the PC Gamer magazine is an actual 'easter egg'.

#5 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

- inside the wreck on frozen city - add some monitors on what to run some interesting mesage, or maybe even add some transmission that can be picked up only when you are very close the a specific spot, with an intresting message -like the arriving of the clans or smth similar. (can be done on other maps - like close to tower in the alpine, or close to antenna ....etc)

#6 Deadpool79

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Who doesn't love Easter eggs in game. It adds a fun little grin during the game play.

#7 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I think they should spend their time developing the game at this point. Once CW is firmly in place then maybe. Till then, lets just let them focus shall we?

#8 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

this is not something that needs "focus". If anything, making ppl smile a little will relieve some of the pressure, which is a good thing from pgi perspective. It doesnt take much to implement an easter egg, the benefits/costs are much more rewarding than many other things. Also it is a very good way of advertising things that you want to add in the game at a future moment, which again, pgi needs to do better than now.

* some days before clans arrive we should see on all maps available some form of dropship entering the atmosphere and/or mechs deploying, in an area where we cant go (outside the actual map). It should be recognizable chassis. In an extended idea maybe we could even fire at some (and receive some fire back) for a short period of time.

#9 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Greetings all,

Karl had mentioned just what was happening 'industry wide' with game 'Easter eggs'.

- Apparently the Corporate Lawyers as well as the Publication Managers have reigned in the artists and any attempt to covertly insert these hidden surprises within the game environment.
- Even if everyone was ok with placing something for the Players to find or even 'hunt down' on the game maps, it's now frowned upon and restricted by Corporate.

Perhaps PGI could actually make this Easter egg item/s into somewhat of a contest for winning one of there competitions.
- Say, placing a winning players name on one of the city street signs or billboards for a set amount of time.
- Or like, IS Pilot of the Month, with there Pilot name showing on a requiting poster on a building wall.
(again only temporary for a set amount of time and replaced with standard content when expired.)

So for now, Karl states that no one is allowed at PGI, to implement any form of 'Easter egg' within the game code.

9erRed

#10 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

there are Mech parts all over tourmaline desert... love m

#11 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

I was just thinking of this and did a search before posting and found that someone else also thought inserting Easter Eggs would be cool! ^_^

Maps offer so many possibilities... it can be a yellow smily on top of a specific crystal shaped summit on Tournaline or Russ face hidden somewhere or more sophisticated one like a special scrolling text on a banner in river city.

While not a priority, as a dev I would sure do add many and then wait for people to find any and discuss it. I think there is something fun in waiting for a hidden EE to be discovered as a programmer.

While you are still working and the new 'forest' map, why not add a few? For example, I would have chosen a well hidden leaf out of the thousands and show Russ face under it! Looking up would reveal his portrait.

Posted Image

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

Not in game but in the videos there are quite a few easter eggs or secrets or what ever...

Founders trailer for the Hunchback references the Hunchback IIC

"Pro's: Has giant cannon on the shoulder"
"Cons: Doesn't have two cannons"

While right after that scene it goes to killing a centurion which behind it's debris it says

"(yet)"

Not only is that it references the Hunchback IIC but it also leads us to believe that that mech may be added soon. (if so awesome... dual UAC 20 medium mech with jumpjets and CT lasers... sounds like a good zombie)

http://youtu.be/RC-kITaLdBM?t=33s

Starts at 33 seconds.

In another video. Showcasing the invasion of clan mechs, at the end when the IS mech zoomed in to the Timber Wolf and try to lock onto it.

The name was glitching. It kept switching between MAD Marauder (shorthanded is "MAD")[color=#000000] or the CPLT [/color] Catapult
It kept switching and glitching between the two mechs till it started to overlay ontop of each other saying "MAD- CAT"
This is why the mech had the name Mad Cat by the inner sphere, the targeting computer couldn't identify the mech and it had resemblance of the Catapult and the Marauder. (MAD = the Arms and Legs) (CPLT = The shoulder missiles and CT area. possibly legs as well)

http://youtu.be/LD6S0fTY_ao?t=57s

At the end, starts at 57 seconds.

This is just some of the easter eggs or refferences in those videos... the hero and other stuff references are...

Catapult CPLT-A1 "Hardpoints": It's hardpoints isn't just a ballancer to make it better then the C4 due to having no energy weapons, there is a variant known as the "CPLT-A1 "Special" also known as the Splatcat in later MW: O years. It is a Catapult used as an emergency close range brawler using 6 x SRM 6's.

The MW: O hardpoints is a reference to that.

Highlander HGN-732 "Hardpoints": Simular to the CPLT, it's based of another 'sub' variant. This time it's the HGN-732b which is what the SLDF used. It's load out is the LRM and SRM's upgraded with an Artemis IV, heatsinks upgraded to doubles while lowering the ammount of heatsinks by two, more SRM ammo, and 1 more medium laser.

1 x SRM 6 + A
1 x LRM 20 + A
3 x Medium Laser
1 x Gauss Rifle

The extra Energy is inspired from the HGN-732b most likely.

Now decoding heroes...

Jenner "Oxide": it has all missile weapons, including the arms. This mimics the clan counterpart "Jenner mk IIC" which has 2 Cl SRM 6's and 1 Cl SSRM 4.

Pirates Bane and Grey Death are from the husband and Wife of two people in the Grey Death Legionares. Not going to spill to much lore here. But in short they hate pirates.

Huggin is a bit into Norse mythology, it's one of the messenger ravens. The load out it has is simular to a mixture off late era ravens. Especially the ones with MGA's in the arms.

Commando Deaths Knell is a mech from lore but it's exact load out is never said

Stalker Misery: it also mimics later variants, the ones with Ballistics, However the name and looks also give a link. It's supposed to be a Stalker that has survived a battle quite a few years ago. "The Battle of Misery" which stalkers took part in quite heavily.
This is why it's name is Misery and why it looks like it's shot up to bits in the past.

Jagermech "Firebrand" is a mimic hardpoints to the Rifleman. A loved mech to fans that is unseen. Jager was built to replace it however it looks like this jager is trying to mimic it.

Catapult "Jester": well it's the Cheshire cat from Alice in wonderland. the first 3 letters of catapult is "Cat"

Highlander "Heavy metal": This is Rhonda Snord's custom highlander. even the speakers on it mimic the one it had with minor redisgn.
Posted Image

Hunchback "Grid Iron" has a few references to later or other variants (Ballistic and missiles). Such as prototypes (Pulses in the arms, Guass)

Atlas "Boars Head": is AS7-D Atlas[ Danielle [with different equipment to make it worth the money (hero mechs price is fixed for weight class) so you do not spend money on the normal equipment, which is 6 medium lasers, 1 LRM 20 and a AC 20 with a standard 300 and 2 more standard heatsinks.

This atlas was used by theWolf's Dragoons Captain Danielle Rondema.

Awesome "Pretty Baby" is like the Deaths Knell, another thing from lore but not determined in exact weapons and such. piloted by MechWarrior Danielle Peterson of Chisholm's Raiders

B
attlemaster "Hellslinger" is another mech from lore but with proper stats this time.

Orion "Protector" is a MW:O version of the Orion that Alexandr Keresnky used. Just with the PPC added instead of a snub nose PPC and FF armour added and case. In simular colours as well as having SLDF written on the legs.

Griffon "Sparky" is another mech from lore with correct equipment. Piloted by [color=#000000] [/color][color="#000000"]Elle Bennett.[/color]
[color="#000000"]Much stiener. [/color]

Blackjack "Arrow" [color="#000000"]my only idea is it's a copy of The B33f's Dapperjager but smaller. Uses pulse lasers and 6 machine guns and jumpjets, etc. Who knows. TheB33f is good with people from NGNG :ph34r:[/color]
[color="#000000"]Yen Lo Wang" is a famous centurion 'hero' , yet again lore.[/color]
[color="#000000"]Even a whole sarna page dedicated to it and it's other variants and configs.[/color]
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang

Cicada X5 is a missing link between the transition between Cicada and Strider.
Strider is a overall better mech (Omni I think as well...) that replaces the cicada, it is a missile mixed laser boat which the X5 is... ish.

All other hero mechs is just a theme with name and play with hardpoints I believe. I didn't mention the very obvious or non BT'y things like that the Grid Iron is Rugby themed or "American Football".

Theory crafting! The CT of the Direwolf looks like it has room for 2 energy weapons... random guess but I wish it happens... a Hero Direwolf "Widowmaker" piloted by Natasha Kerensky... it has 2 center energy weapons. please gib. I throw all monies at it.

What else...

There are the cockpit items but some are very obvious and I will not go in depth with them.

I noticed symbols on the default skin for the clan mechs. Do they mean anything? :wacko:

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

Why does mw: o like screwing with my texts and stuff... anyway.

Found another thread of interest.

http://mwomercs.com/...rt-easter-eggs/

#14 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

View Postsmokefield, on 03 May 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:

- inside the wreck on frozen city - add some monitors on what to run some interesting mesage, or maybe even add some transmission that can be picked up only when you are very close the a specific spot, with an intresting message -like the arriving of the clans or smth similar. (can be done on other maps - like close to tower in the alpine, or close to antenna ....etc)

Is that the same wreck that has the frozen Atlas and Hunchback inside?

#15 Alphaeus

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:07 PM

If we're lobbying for Easter Eggs, let's ask for some good ones:

Fountain of Youth: Once per year (Easter time, maybe), turn the spring at F4 on Hellebore Outpost into a rejuvenation point that slowly repairs 'mechs in the vicinity.
City of Gold: In a rare event, allow HPG Manifold Conquest mode to also pay huge C-Bill dividends, or even MC!, for capping Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma, and Epsi.
Magic Mirror: On occasion, place a dimensional gate at either end of Forest Colony (Classic) that warps players to the far end--like PacMan!
The One Ring: On Terra Therma, every 1000th match, Smeagol's hand appears in a lava flow at a particular coordinate, holding the One Ring. Every 'mech in a 400-M radius is covered by ECM and is totally invisible unless enemies are inside the ECM radius too.
Weapons Dump: At various locations all over Mining Collective (but not on the central height), players who get visual on the open door of an open storage facility receive Redeemed content in the form of weapons--especially Heavy PPCS, AC/LBX/UAC-20s, and Gauss Rifles (IS), or ER PPCs, ER/Heavy Large Lasers, Large Pulse Lasers, AC/LBX/UAC-20s, and Gauss Rifles (Clan).
Pirate Ships: For a 30-minute window per day, one week per year, 'mechs that make physical contact with container ships on River City, Crimson Strait, Forest Colony/Forest Colony (Classic), and <am I missing a map here?> get a free Owned Buccaneer pattern for a chassis of their choice, and all pirate-y decals.

You get the idea, but I encourage my fellow Mechwarriors to add their thoughts via Replies below.

-Alph

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users