Can We Still Save The 80-Ton Awesome?

BattleMechs

210 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

A while back PGI re-worked some hit boxes for various mechs, the big ones being the Awesome and the Orion.

Now I think the Orion is pretty popular. At least I never hear anybody complaining about it.

But the Awesome, I still get the feeling that the majority of players think it's sub-par.

Well, what does it take to make that mech work?

Personally, i think yet another hitbox change. Make it the reverse of what it was before. Instead of a walking CT, make it into a first class zombie mech with a hard to hit CT. Hell, the 9M could have 3 medium lasers in full zombie mode.

Basically, give it this for side torsos, and make the football armor shoulder pads part of the arms.

Posted Image

Baring that, maybe give it an ECM slot.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 02 June 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#2 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

No ecm we don't need any more of that till its fixed certainly not on a assault. . I haven't played the awesome so I couldn't possibly comment

#3 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

If you made the boobie laser points higher then it wouldnt be an awesome anymore. If SRM get better there may be a resurgence however other mechs would have a greater resurgence...

Edited by Soulscour, 05 May 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#4 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:48 AM

Making side hitboxes bigger won't work, because the real problem is the width of this mech. It's simply too big for its tonnage. With current hitboxes you can already spread damage pretty well to sides.

Making those shoulder pads count as arms rather than side torsos would be the first step to making the Awesome tankier short of a complete redesign. Awesomes don't have many arm hardpoints so it would hardly be an issue.

#5 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

Awesome is bad because no matter how many heatsinks you put 3xERPPC are still too hot.

#6 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

Give it a quirk that lets it fire 3 PPCs without ghost heat.

#7 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:07 AM

The problem with the awesome is that its cool art translated into a realtime game where things like mech size actually matters.

In the TT the art was there as an addition and it had zero effect on gameplay.

PGI decided to copy the art wholesale without considering what kind of impact it may have.

So look at the awesome, you get a fat target that has low hanging weapon mounts blocked by terrain. Then you have the stalker which can ridge hump because its weapon mounts are all at the top. It makes a HUGE difference.

Atlas is the same problem, its the biggest mech in the game, which is NOT an advantage...you want to be as small as possible. It is super annoying to get shot at while you cant fire back because terrain blocks your shots. Oh and the 10 tube LRM launcher on the Atlas is supposed to be able to fire 20 LRMs in the same time as other mechs, but in MWO it fires two volleys of 10s, which gives AMS double the time to shoot them down....part of why Atlas are so bad, you cant evne put a LRM-20 oni t.

Only way to buff the awesome without a radical art change (which PGI will never do) is to give it specific quirks, like increased heat dissipation or something that makes it a superior energy boat to all else. And the Atlas could use a quirk to reduce incoming damage, since its such a huge target, it really needs it to survive. I think its quite sad that a XL engine stalker is more survivable than a standard engine Atlas...simply because the stalker can make much better use of cover.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 05 May 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#8 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:11 AM

Yeah I will never get one of these, I see it taken down far too much without it having the chance to get away it's too tempting of a target.

#9 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:15 AM

always thought the Awesome should be able to handle repeated alpha striking with 3 ppcs without any heat penalty, that's what the big barn upper torso is for? to circulate and release large amounts of heat. possible tweaking of the hit boxes again, if that's not on the agenda, then High Explosives will work wonders.

#10 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:17 AM

Make it so that CT damage transfers to the nearest Spider or Jenner.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

You can't help it with hitbox changes. IT's too wide for that, it is an easy to hit target.

However, I see more Awesomes these days, though.

I'd like to see some real quirks beside torso/arm movements. Give it heat quirks and you're set. Oh and fix the pretty baby quirks, of course ;)

#12 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

The problem with the Awesome is it's designed to do exactly what MWO hates- boat PPC's.

The result is the most viable Awesomes....are LRM boats. How screwed up is that?

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

Fat slow mech is fat. And slow. Fly at your own risk.

#14 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

View Postwanderer, on 05 May 2014 - 03:35 AM, said:

The problem with the Awesome is it's designed to do exactly what MWO hates- boat PPC's.

The result is the most viable Awesomes....are LRM boats. How screwed up is that?

If we actually had hardpoint sizes, the Awesome would be the only mech capable of boating 3 PPCs. It would make it pretty darn unique even considering its disadvantages.

#15 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

I think if we had hard point sizes, the crying about P2W would be even more because hero mechs could mount anything then... think firebrand for example.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 05 May 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

A while back PGI re-worked some hit boxes for various mechs, the big ones being the Awesome and the Orion. Now I think the Orion is pretty popular. At least I never hear anybody complaining about it. But the Awesome, I still get the feeling that the majority of players still think it's sub-par. Well, what does it take to make that mech work? Personally, i think yet another hitbox change. Make it the reverse of what it was before. Instead of a walking CT, make it into a first class zombie mech with a hard to hit CT. Hell, the 9M could have 3 medium lasers in full zombie mode. Basically, give it this for side torsos, and make the football armor shoulder pads part of the arms. Baring that, maybe give it an ECM slot.

Energy only assault mech is sub par these days. I'd rather have PGI address that issue first, than any hit box tweaking.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 May 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#17 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

PPCs are heavy and the way the cooling system works makes them completely inferior to ballistics. You can set up a mastered stalker with 4xPPC and about 21-22 dhs and even on chainfire you'll melt yourself really fast.

Meanwhile, the 65 ton Jaeger with 4xAC5 and the basic 10dhs can unload hell on you, never take their finger off the trigger, and win that shootout every single time if they twist even a bit of the damage you can throw back at them.

TL/DR: The Awesome can't be more competitive without heat dissipation perks for its ppcs, or a change in the heat system overall.

#18 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

I think several posters are missing the point of the OP though.

One of the things that make the Stalker incredibly hard to kill is the same thing that makes running an XL in one a bad idea.

The CT has a very slim profile from the front.

So the OP's idea would see the Awesome forced into STD engines, but it would be much harder to destroy the CT.

Would it work out in practice? I don't know, but it's not a bad idea either.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

Increase the overall engine cap from 300 to 325 or even 350 for the 8-series Awesomes.

Outside of improving torso twist from 100 to 120 degrees (which would help improve it's torso twist prowess), you can't avoid improving it w/o rescaling the damned thing and at least tinker with the hitboxes so that the torsos are smaller and the arms are bigger.

So, good luck, because there seems to be little motivation to improve sales of the Pretty Baby when the Dragon Slayer is the mech of choice for the same price.

Edited by Deathlike, 05 May 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#20 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

Long answer short: No, the awesome is beyond rescue in this game

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users