#881 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 16 May 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Well, the movement part is obvious, but the hitbox? I doubt it could be any more complex than MWO.

Already state to be multi layers like MW.... with multi component systems... ?
Do you follow their videos ?
You realise the is going to have multi crew ships ?
Single person first..
Small multi crew like the Connie next...
Huge multi crew like the Idris later...

All the infomation they provide state this game is not going ot be simple.
Damage done to the ship will affect the ships performance...
But we might not see it now in in the very first release...

Edited by ShinVector, 16 May 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#882 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostShinVector, on 16 May 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

Do you follow their videos ?

I do not follow their videos because I am on somewhat limited bandwidth - so is it looking more or less complex than MWO?

Edit: for what it is worth - I can see a couple of ways that it could very easily be much simpler. :ph34r:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 16 May 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#883 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 16 May 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

I do not follow their videos because I am on somewhat limited bandwidth - so is it looking more or less complex than MWO?

Edit: for what it is worth - I can see a couple of ways that it could very easily be much simpler. :ph34r:

Based on information provide... I throw out a general number at least 3 times more complex than MWO..
They are trying to stay true to the Simulation part of Space Sim... Unlike MWO which has gone more FPS..
I feel it won't be as complicated as a true Airplane filght sim.. But SC just has LOTS of stuff happening...

You know you can have black outs and red outs from G forces already right ?
This should be active in the first release... But they have a safety system call IFCS - inflight control system..
You want to push your ship to the limit.. You can turn OFF IFCS... But you will suffer from G forces if you too extreme on your manouvoures.

Also Newtonian mode...
You can turn your ship to any direction while on flight on a different Vector.. You can !!
If you played WC4 the Dragon and WC5 .. You know what this is...

Edited by ShinVector, 16 May 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#884 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Oh yeah, now I remember Chris in an old video mentioning individual positioning thrusters can be damaged, affecting the flight model....

...jeez. How are they gonna pull it off!

#885 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 16 May 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Oh yeah, now I remember Chris in an old video mentioning individual positioning thrusters can be damaged, affecting the flight model....

...jeez. How are they gonna pull it off!

Simple answer is math and phsyics... They really have a full time guy doing the physics calculations.. LOL...
How it is going to affect game play... Hmm hmm hmm !!

But I don't, I am also a bit skeptical on they are going to mesh all this stuff together...

#886 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Update on the Arena Commander / DFM from Chris Roberts - detailed dates for various releases:

May 17th: our IT groups will be updating our global internal server infrastructure. A lot of the internal tools we use for game development (checking in builds, storing assets, etc.) are in dire need of downtime and update; we’ve been running them in the red zone so we can have 24 hour round-the-world development on Arena Commander. During this downtime we will also be switching over to a much more flexible and advanced architecture for our content management system Perforce. We will be upgrading to using Perforce Streams which will allow much quicker and more flexible movement between code branches for our development team. This prepares us for the added complexity of launching and supporting a live multiplayer service like Arena Commander. Saturday’s update will allow us to push the final Arena Commander update out to the world with much more confidence (corrupted data from these servers was a major issue at the PAX East reveal!)

May 18th: with the new servers in place, we will split off the “Arena Commander Release” branch of Star Citizen. This will separate the Arena Commander you play from the rest of the game that is being developed by other teams. So data checked in by teams around the world that doesn’t have anything to do with dogfighting (such as FPS weapons, planetside maps or future ship assets) won’t cause additional bugs for the team to worry about.

May 19th: The QA team will begin their final troubleshooting session with the new Arena Commander Release branch. They will go through the entire game and catalog all the current bugs they can find – ships not spawning in the correct place, physics not functioning correctly, disconnects during battle and so on. This will help to generate our final “Must Fix” list for release. It is important to remember though that our internal QA team cannot find everything and it is very likely that we will not fix everything prior to release. We are releasing playable code to the community much, much earlier than you normally would in AAA game development. Because of this it will not be as polished as a final game would be so we are going to need a lot of support from all of you to help us in bug finding and gameplay feedback!

May 23rd: The official cross-studio playtesting of the Arena Commander Release begins. This represents a “pencils down” phase where, unless you are working on an authorized must fix issue the team is expected to QA the game as much as possible. After this point, only a limited number of “designated driver” team leads will be able to check in any changes to the game itself.

May 27th: By this point, we hope to have the egregious, game breaking issues resolved but there will still be plenty of known and unknown issues. This is also our deadline for making sure the launcher is hardened for the deluge of users and the first set of necessary servers for the release have been spun up. After this point all check in privileges will be revoked and will only be returned on an as needed basis by senior Production staff and myself.

May 28th: The release candidate build of the game will be compiled. If all goes as planned, this is the version of Arena Commander you will be playing! The team at Turbulent will begin switching over the website to the version that will make Arena Commander available to backers. I will personally ‘sign off’ Arena Commander as ready for the community on the evening of the 28th. To be clear, we fully expect that there will be bugs remaining, potentially some bad ones. That said, our primary focus is getting a version out to the community to help us find all the issues and work together to improve Arena Commander.

May 29th: This morning, the web team will spin up additional authentication and web servers in the in anticipation of high traffic during the release. The engineering team will begin “warming” caches on cloud servers around the world, making sure the release candidate game is ready and waiting for users. By the end of the day, we will update the website making the game available, and the first public release of Arena Commander (which we’re calling v0.8) will be live to the world for testing!

After this we will continue to work hard finishing off game modes, making balancing calls and hotfixes as we spin up more and more servers, allowing for more and more concurrent multiplayer games.

v0.9 will be an intermediate step with additional features, polish, fixes and the Squadron Battle game mode.

v1.0 will be when everyone can access the multiplayer and all game modes are in (Capture the Core comes in with v1.0).

As you can see, there’s a lot to do over the next two weeks and as you have seen there can be many unforeseen issues. I believe this is the best development team in the industry and we are certainly backed by the most invested, supportive community in gaming. We will keep you updated as this process continues; if there are any unexpected changes, the community will know what they are AND how they impact the schedule as soon as I do.

This is what is unique about Star Citizen – you are getting a very close and personal look at what development is like from the inside. Enjoy the ride!

— Chris Roberts

#887 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Wow... What amazing communication to Stomp the doubters.. :ph34r:

#888 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostShinVector, on 17 May 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Wow... What amazing communication to Stomp the doubters.. :ph34r:

If PGI would just choose that way and tell us straight away who is working on what.

Oh well :lol:

#889 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Wow they are working 7 Days a Week according to that ...I wonder if PGI would do that to get things right?

Edited by Green Mamba, 17 May 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#890 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Keep in mind that Chris Roberts might well have spent half a day's worth of work just putting that announcement together, e.g. editing, revising, vetting with department heads, etc.

CIG earns a lot of its funding through ample and enthusiastic communication, but it's also understandable why heads of dev houses wouldn't want their people spending hours on this stuff.

#891 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 17 May 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

Keep in mind that Chris Roberts might well have spent half a day's worth of work just putting that announcement together, e.g. editing, revising, vetting with department heads, etc.

CIG earns a lot of its funding through ample and enthusiastic communication, but it's also understandable why heads of dev houses wouldn't want their people spending hours on this stuff.

That's kinda naive of you to say.

Money in those "other" "Dev Houses" are poured into marketing, something CIG isn't doing. And Chris doing that IS his f-ing job.

#892 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 17 May 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

I doubt he spent more than 5 minutes on it. 2 minutes to tell Sandi to write it, 2 minutes to edit and send back, and 1 minute to approve and say to release it.

If he spent any more time on it than that, the game is fooked.

#893 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostHeffay, on 17 May 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I doubt he spent more than 5 minutes on it. 2 minutes to tell Sandi to write it, 2 minutes to edit and send back, and 1 minute to approve and say to release it.

If he spent any more time on it than that, the game is fooked.

I don't know. If I were to release an important message to half a million people who are judging every breath I take, I'd make damn sure the message is well written and without the slightest risk for myself.

#894 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

View PostSaxie, on 09 July 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

GASP!! How dare they take a vacation!!! GET THE TORCHES WE SHALL CHASE THEM BACK IN TO THE CAGE TO CONTINUE DEVELOPMENT!!

Everyone needs vacation once in a while. I'd rather have a well rested Dev team with a fresh mind than a team who's worked to death and too stressed out which is unproductive.

Lol who wouldn't need a vacation after all the negative that is said about the work they do.

#895 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostSybreed, on 17 May 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

I don't know. If I were to release an important message to half a million people who are judging every breath I take, I'd make damn sure the message is well written and without the slightest risk for myself.

I back this. CIG has received a gargantuan-**** load of money by showing some pre-rendered CryEngine footage to a lot of people. If I were Chris I would be pondering every single [redacted] word I say.

Edited by Helmstif, 19 May 2014 - 04:00 AM.
language

#896 vash021

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostEdustaja, on 16 May 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

If you buy the minimum level spacecraft you'll get access to MWO like dogfighting (eventually) and the single player campaign (when it's released in parts) and the ship for the persistent universe. You'll have to spend some in game currency to have insurance on your ship but that's about it. So in essence you don't have to keep on re-buying the ship. I think you can also buy new ships with in game currency.

would it be like mwo thought?
Real money for hero spaceships??
spaceship bays for real money?

#897 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostShinVector, on 16 May 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

If you played WC4 the Dragon and WC5 .. You know what this is...

Off the top of my head, I have no idea what those are. B)

#898 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 17 May 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

Off the top of my head, I have no idea what those are. :angry:

Looks better in the CIG movies...
And amazing when you first saw it in DOS..
Yes... CR was pushing full 3D spacesim scrap during the DOS days...

http://wingcommander...n_Heavy_Fighter

Edited by ShinVector, 18 May 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#899 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Wing Commander - doh >.<

#900 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 17 May 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

I back this. CIG has received a gargantuan-**** load of money by showing some pre-rendered CryEngine footage to a lot of people. If I were Chris I would be pondering every single [redacted] work I say.

ahahah, the [redacted] makes this post unintentionally hilarious.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users