#1 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hi guys,

After some weeks I still have some questions :

- When you hear rock & roll it's because a Heavy Metal mech just had a kill ?

- When you sell a mech, you sell only the chassis itself and not the equipment ?
Do you need to strip the mech before selling it ?

- What is the difference between Artillery and Air strike ?

- How do you enable it exactly :
-- You master a mech and free the module slot
-- You research the pilot skill (it's available for all mechs having 1 module slot researched, correct ?)
-- You buy a consumable that you put on the slot

Did I got that right ?

Thx for any help.

shoot straight

#2 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

1) While you're in game (after the match starts) Yes. Its a small guitar rift.

2) You can choose to sell just the mech, or the mech and its equipment.

3)Air Strike drops explosions in a line from your position, where Arty has explosions in a cetrain radius around the smoke. All strikes will go right to the center of your crosshairs for your torso.

4) Arty and Air (and Coolshot 9) are unlocked by default, but to upgrade it, you just need to spend GXP in the wanted module. For modules such as Advanced Zoom, Cap Accel, and others like that, you need to spend the GXP to unlock the module, then buy it with Cbills, then place it on the mech you want. Mastering a mech means that you can equip one more module.

I hope that answered your questions! If you got more, or want some clarification, let me know!

#3 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

I don't remember if its only when the Heavy Metal gets a kill or if it does it when a team mate gets a kill but thats when it plays.

When you sell a mech you will have the option to sell just the chassis or the equipment also. If you sell just the mech itself but not the equipment any equipped items go back into your storage.

Arty will land in a circle around the smoke marker. Air strike will land in a path extending away from you along the line made between you and the marker when you activated the strike.

All mechs have at least 1 module slot to begin with so you don't need to master a mech first in order to use strikes.
I believe all the unlocks for strikes just improve it. You should be able to use all the consumables straight away without unlocking like you have to with other modules.

Edited by Rouken, 05 May 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#4 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostTereva, on 05 May 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

- When you hear rock & roll it's because a Heavy Metal mech just had a kill ?

- When you sell a mech, you sell only the chassis itself and not the equipment ?
Do you need to strip the mech before selling it ?

- What is the difference between Artillery and Air strike ?

- How do you enable it exactly :
-- You master a mech and free the module slot
-- You research the pilot skill (it's available for all mechs having 1 module slot researched, correct ?)
-- You buy a consumable that you put on the slot

Music appears during the start of matches, end of matches, after a Heavy Metal kills something, and in the mechlab.

Push the button 'Mech Value' to sell everything out of a mech, or the items will go to your inventory and you only sell the mech.

The others answered question #3 already. :(

Basically the process you stated is correct. MXP for the mech to master it, GXP to get modules for the mechs, and C-bills to buy the modules separately. The complicated and expensive process is why I still don't actually use modules at the mean time.

Hope I covered things that haven't been covered yet. :P

#5 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

The Heavy Metal has a unique feature that plays a short music clip when it makes a kill. So far no other mechs will do that.

By default, selling a mech just sells the chassis and puts everything equipped on the mech into your inventory. However, when you sell there is a checkbox that will allow you to sell everything on the mech at the same time. Stripping the mech before selling it isn't necessary if you just want to sell the chassis only. However, some of us like to strip the mech of what we want to keep then sell everything else.

Mind you, most people prefer not to sell their mechs to begin with when we can. It is very expensive to purchase them back. Buying back a chassis without the factory loaded equipment is effectively impossible. That wastes a lot of money.

Artillery and Air Strikes differ in the pattern they drop their bombs in. Artillery drops bombs randomly in an area about 60m (48m with accuracy module) each of which damage mechs in a 40m area around the impact. Air strikes drop the same bombs (40m area impacts) in a line starting from the marked point extending 100m (or 80m with Airstrike Accuracy module) away from your mech's position from when you triggered the strike.

Airstrikes do some pretty consistent damage in the area they hit, but are hard to hit with. Artillery is pretty random, but tends to cover a bigger area. Basic C-bill versions drop 6 bombs, and don't require you to buy any pilot skill. However if you do buy the advanced version, the same 40000 c-bill module will drop 10 bombs instead of 6. The priority module costs (in advance) 15 MC per use, but drops 10 bombs without needing to spend GXP on the advanced version. Improved Artillery and Airstrikes cost 15000 GXP each to unlock. Accuracy modules cost 5000 GXP to unlock, 4000000 C-bills to purchase, and another module slot on your mech to equip. Given that they reduce the target area, they are not popular, as it's easier to actually hit opponents without them. However, since the number of bombs dropped doesn't change, accuracy modules do tend to drastically increase the damage enemies take when they do get hit.

Does that help any?

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

Spoiler

1) When you hear rock & roll it's because a Heavy Metal mech just had a kill ?

Yes. In this case, the rock and roll played 8 times.

Posted Image

Or in this one... you can hear it from the perspective of the HM yourself, and get commentary from a nearby Raven pilot in voice. "That's a lotta music playing there, Kon."

2) When you sell a mech, you sell only the chassis itself and not the equipment ?

When I sell a mech? Yes.

However if you just try to sell the mech it will ask if you want to sell it or it + the equipment.

3) Do you need to strip the mech before selling it ?

You do not need to strip the mech. But this is a choice (and a good safety measure).

4) What is the difference between Artillery and Air strike ?

Artillery fires several shells in a wide area forming an an awkward circle or octagon. Airstrike fires in a straight, precise line (making it very powerful and focused; but easy to 'miss' and easy to dodge).

5) How do you enable it exactly:

Artillery/Airstrike? You slap them into your mech paying 40,000 or 15 for it. "Home" fires one, "End" fires the other. You can use them on the Testing Grounds for free (have to buy one and equip first). Supposedly, Airstrikes are fired "from your base." Rather the plane appears to come from where the assault base would be located on the map. This makes trick shots possible but iffy and is why airstrike is not popular.

You're welcome.

Edited by Koniving, 05 May 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#7 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:18 AM

Somewhat unrelated note: I find it hilarious that the Heavy Metal music is affected by the Doppler Effect simulation. Presumably it has to do with all distances being to scale, so if you're whizzing by a HM in a light, you are indeed going really fast according to the engine, and the music sounds all distorted. :)

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

One note, the smoke is placed where your ARM indicator (the small circle) is, not your CT crosshairs.

Everything else has been answered by the good folks of these forums.

#9 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

thx guys for all the detailled answers !

One comment though : Did I read it right, your can use airStrike / Arty strike right away ? No need to unlock an ability or anything ?
How do you load it to your mech then ? (can't fint it : / )

Something else :
Sometimes my cockpit rocking like crazy. Not just a bit, really moving hard. What weapon has this effect , ac/20, gauss ?

In a duel against a Kintaro (I beleive) the other guy manage to 'splash' something over the glass of the cockpit. I could not see for about 5 to 6 seconds.
How do you do that exactly ? Firing laser right on the cockpit glass ?

Thx

Edited by Tereva, 06 May 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostTereva, on 06 May 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

thx guys for all the detailled answers !

One comment though : Did I read it right, your can use airStrike / Arty strike right away ? No need to unlock an ability or anything ?
How do you load it to your mech then ? (can't fint it : / )

You don't need to unlock a module for consumables. They are available from the get-go.

Go to mechbay, when you're configuring a mech there should be an option in the menu "Loadout, Strip mech ... etc." Click ont he Module option, go to Consumables, and then just drag and drop the C-Bill or MC variants into the 2 or 3 slots your mech starts with.

Mastering a mech grants you an EXTRA Module slot.

Something else :
Sometimes my cockpit rocking like crazy. Not just a bit, really moving hard. What weapon has this effect , ac/20, gauss ?

LRMs, and low caliber ACs can do that. For constant shake that's nightmarish it's AC2s.

In a duel against a Kintaro (I beleive) the other guy manage to 'splash' something over the glass of the cockpit. I could not see for about 5 to 6 seconds.
How do you do that exactly ? Firing laser right on the cockpit glass ?

If the splash was red, green, or blue, it would be lasers.
He probably hit the cockpit on chain fire with multiple lasers. Other than that, there should be no splashing except from flamers.

It is also quite possible for you to get a graphics glitch that messed with your vision. Those are more permanent though, and I' think this case as lasers to the cockpit.

Do you remember if you received damage to your head?

Edited by IraqiWalker, 06 May 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#11 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 May 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Mastering a mech grants you an EXTRA Module slot.

My gosh... [banging his head against a wall]
I had access to modules all this time...too funny....

Thx for clarifying this for me !

LRMs, and low caliber ACs can do that. For constant shake that's nightmarish it's AC2s.

ok

If the splash was red, green, or blue, it would be lasers.
He probably hit the cockpit on chain fire with multiple lasers. It is also quite possible for you to get a graphics glitch...

It's not a glitch, my machine works perfectly (IT guy deep inside :) )

The guy was even better than I though. We were like 300 / 400 meters apart and he still managed to hit the cockpit without stopping for a long time, and I was not really standing still.

Do you remember if you received damage to your head?

Well I was busy trying to put a couple of AC10 rounds into the sucker -I mean- the nice fellow, I was playing against so didn't notice.
Will do next time for sure

Again a big thanks to everybody for taking the time to answer.

Shoot straight

Edited by Tereva, 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Just to mention if you mean a single hard hit? That's an AC/20.
Lots of tiny rocks? AC/2.

A constant pelting?
Then I found you. (In the Atlas's own words: "Went down like an overheated Locust!")

But a huge Earthquake? That's Artillery/Airstrike.

They launch at the "o" crosshair. So you can aim your strikes.

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostTereva, on 06 May 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

My gosh... [banging his head against a wall]
I had access to modules all this time...too funny....

You did - but keep in mind that they are not really cost effective (the Cbill versions anyways - the MC versions kinda step to the side of those calculations)

#14 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

If any you said it, I missed it, sorry.

But VERY IMPORTANT!!!(unless they changed in a patch, even then don't leave it to chance)

Never forget to check your module slots, clear them out. It is a bummer, so I hear, to accidentally sell a 6,000,000 c bill module... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by plodder, 06 May 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#15 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Ps, buy mech bays, do not sell mechs.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

View Postplodder, on 06 May 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

If any you said it, I missed it, sorry.

But VERY IMPORTANT!!!(unless they changed in a patch, even then don't leave it to chance)

Never forget to check your module slots, clear them out. It is a bummer, so I hear, to accidentally sell a 6,000,000 c bill module... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

That doesn't happen anymore because now when you choose to sell a mech, it gives you the option to sell it's equipment or not. Plus, as you select the mech to sell, it shows you which modules are in it.

I still agree, it's better safe than sorry (that's how I lost my first Cap accelerator, damn near quit the game right then and there XP)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users