Old Player Returning.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Abisme

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

Hey guys. I'm just getting back into mech warrior I bought the founder pack back in 2012 and am glad to see the game doing well. I'm enjoying it so far and am looking for some general tips/advice.

I'm also looking to make a dual gauss build ( particularly the one in this video ).

Anyways any general tips/advice of things I might have missed from the tutorial and a few videos along with the threads of course ^^

#2 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:58 PM

Sure, labandon all Hope for Fair Matchmaking " you know "soonTM"

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:17 AM

Unless you plan on getting super close to the combat, pump the armor frontward.
If / When repair and rearm returns you can significantly drop the cost of repairs (caused by destruction of a side torso) by having CASE inside each ST to protect your XL engine from total destruction. But until such a time as that occurs, just keep it somewhere in the back of your mind.

When under heavy fire, it'll throw the aim of the rifles off. Since it takes so long to get them ready to fire again that could be very costly to you. It's better to not fire when being pelted, instead relocate first then try to fire. Unlike closed beta, rattling around will throw off your aim. (Probably one of the few pro-simulator additions since then; the improved gyro module will allow you to counter this enough to fire accurately).

Seismic sensor is a module that you'll want to get as soon as possible. It allows you to -- while stationary -- get readings on vibrations on the ground caused by enemies. Be warned: Really light mechs moving slowly will not show. So don't depend on it; just let it help you.

Pad the Gauss Rifles; they blow up easily. But if you pad them with other objects, the damage can be spread to those instead of the rifles.

Sometimes it's better not to put your eggs in one basket. Chain firing Gauss Rifles one after another can help with tricky targets.

Disable armlock to get better range of motion. But hit shift to get those precision shots; which temporarily re-enables Armlock.

Smart tanks (and mechs) bring more than one gun. Backup weapons are crucial to keep from becoming mincemeat. For example lights are nearly impossible to hit up close with Gauss Rifles, but easy to hit with MGs, lasers, etc. Even easier with pulse lasers. Sometimes it won't hurt to have an AC of your own too.

Good luck!

Edited by Koniving, 07 May 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#4 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

Welcome back to the game!

What mechs do you have atm?

When wanting to build a double Gauss mech you're only real options are a Jagermech (any) or the Cataphract-4X for those nice arm mounted Ballistic slots.

Gauss rifles have changed btw. They now have a charge up time plus a 'release window' when firing (hold button to charge, release to fire when charged but keep the charge for too long and the charge is lost), if you haven't try it out a bit, you might hate the way it plays now.

Anywayz. Jagers or CTF-4X. The CTF has more tonnage but low-slung arms. For sniping I think the high mounted arms on the Jager work better.

So assuming a Jager you need to get some tonnage. That means 3 things: an XL-engine, Endo and scraping off armour! :)

Here's a quick reference build I made: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...be2a2edae3c9f2c

Armour comes from the legs but unlike a BoomJager your ammo can't explode so it's safe to store those Gauss rounds there. You can twiddle with things, like the rating of the XL-engine to get yourself more tonnage, for maybe an additional 2 ML or an AMS, or maybe even getting that armour back! People expect you to have low armour, nailing an ankle biting Light with 4ML while it ineffectively nibbles on your full leg armour can be great fun!

All up to your own preferences and playing style though, good luck!

#5 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

View PostBraddack, on 06 May 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

Sure, labandon all Hope for Fair Matchmaking " you know "soonTM"

And this is not the place to write things like this.

If you can't give new player advice, do not post.

-------

I wouldn't go with a dual gauss build. They require a lot of skill and due to ammo shortage every shot counts.

If you are looking for some great builds, go to www.mechspecs.com

#6 Abisme

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostIqfish, on 07 May 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

-------

I wouldn't go with a dual gauss build. They require a lot of skill and due to ammo shortage every shot counts.

I personally enjoy playing things that require more skills. I'm pretty well versed in more heavy gaming (researching times, strategies etc.) of other games and planned to be through out my playing of mechwarrior thanks for the advise though. I'll be particularly careful not to weigh down the team ^^

#7 Abisme

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 07 May 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Welcome back to the game!

What mechs do you have atm?

When wanting to build a double Gauss mech you're only real options are a Jagermech (any) or the Cataphract-4X for those nice arm mounted Ballistic slots.

Gauss rifles have changed btw. They now have a charge up time plus a 'release window' when firing (hold button to charge, release to fire when charged but keep the charge for too long and the charge is lost), if you haven't try it out a bit, you might hate the way it plays now.

Anywayz. Jagers or CTF-4X. The CTF has more tonnage but low-slung arms. For sniping I think the high mounted arms on the Jager work better.

So assuming a Jager you need to get some tonnage. That means 3 things: an XL-engine, Endo and scraping off armour! :)

Here's a quick reference build I made: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...be2a2edae3c9f2c

Armour comes from the legs but unlike a BoomJager your ammo can't explode so it's safe to store those Gauss rounds there. You can twiddle with things, like the rating of the XL-engine to get yourself more tonnage, for maybe an additional 2 ML or an AMS, or maybe even getting that armour back! People expect you to have low armour, nailing an ankle biting Light with 4ML while it ineffectively nibbles on your full leg armour can be great fun!

All up to your own preferences and playing style though, good luck!

At the moment I only have the trials and the JM6-S (that I just bought a bit ago for my duel guass build). I'm looking into a bunch of builds so adding yours is much appreciated ^^ I'll be able to add that to my comparison with other builds,

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:46 AM

Two modules you'll absolutely want:
1-Advanced Zoom, to help accurately land those 800+meter shots.

2- Target Info Gathering, to help find where you want to put your shots, extremely quickly.

The Jager is possibly the best chassis for dual gauss out there. I would recommend this build for you:

JM6-S 2xGauss
You can drop a ton of ammo off, and shave a few points of armor from the cockpit and legs to fit an XL275 in there, if you want.

#9 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

The modules you actually absolutely want are Seismic Sensor (full wallhack whenever you stop) and arty/airstrike consumables (deadly vs groups of enemies).

#10 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostIqfish, on 07 May 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

-------

Even if you dont like it, its still an Advice.. and thats what the OP asked.

#11 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostAbisme, on 06 May 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

Hey guys. I'm just getting back into mech warrior I bought the founder pack back in 2012 and am glad to see the game doing well.

Wow, you HAVE been gone a long time, lol

Best advice.......build what you want, and dive in.
Reading gigs of advice will fine tune your game once you have a base line.
SO much has changed, its an entire new learning curve.
When you die, jockey around and ride in mechs, very helpful, surprised its not mentioned more.
Without the fog of buttons, keys, getting shot you can sit back and observe.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

Welcome back! Always good to see founders returning, and you've come at an exciting time with the new Private Match feature released last week, and clan Mechs coming in a few weeks.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions! We're here to help.

It's important to realize that gauss rifles have a charge time mechanic. They may not be the best weapon of choice for new or inexperienced pilots; traditional ballistics with much simpler point and fire may be easier for you.

Jagermechs certainly do make good first mechs with their wide range of ballistic loadouts and supplemental energy weapons, but be sure to increase the armor since the stock armor is too low for direct combat.

#13 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

The Jager line is actually pretty fun- the -DD can do stuff like two big energy + 6 MG's, for example. And any of them can go dual Gauss, so if you feel the love for it that much, you can pass parts from one chassis to another to master them.

The Firebrand Hero version is also solid, basically a 65-ton Rifleman because the actual RFL would be Harmony Gold lawsuit bait.

Note that dual Gauss operates differently than the old K2 snipers, as they changed how the gun works. It's "hold down fire button until charged, release to fire during brief window or else weapon discharges without firing". PRACTICE WITH THEM IN THE TRAINING GROUNDS, it takes getting used to.

#14 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

The advanced zoom isn't advice, it's pretty much a must own, IMHO.

I don't own Jags, but I've got a 280xl in my dual gauss phract with 2 ML and I can fit 6 tons of ammo. Hate running outta ammo...

And for what it's worth, I'm a still sorta newish player and the dual gauss phract was the very first mech I saw my damage scores go over 300 regularly (now often 400-500). It forced me into a different playing style... prior to that most of my builds involved brawling with a few LRMs. Just played a game last night (? maybe couple nights ago) on Mordor and we got rolled 2-12, but the only 2 kills my team got came from the barrels of my Gauss rifles.

Edited by Votanin FleshRender, 07 May 2014 - 05:52 AM.

#15 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hey, welcome back. I recently returned to MWO as well. Last month actually. Quite a bit has changed, and yet, not too much, if you get my meaning. You still have the Meta. Only now it's PPC's and AC 5's, some that jump, and some that don't.

Guass has been changed. You now have to press the button, wait for the charge up, then release to fire. Takes some getting used to. I'd recommend a dual AC 10 build until you get the hang of things. It has less range than the guass jager, but will put you in the action with less frustration of having to learn the new mechanic+getting used to the game again. But hey, whatever you choose, welcome back.

#16 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Sorry, may just be me, but a lot of people seem to focus on adv zoom but fail to mention that closer in z (twice) gets you the same view with less screen shake/uncertainty.

good hunting

#17 Blue Drache

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSkei's Haven, Krynn

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

I do just fine on my Gaussx2 build without advanced zoom, to tell you the truth. 300-600 dmg with 2-4 kills per match if I get set up. Sometimes, I get rolled because I zigged instead of zagged, but *shrug* It happens.

Oh ... and yeah ... PGI is sucking the donkey with its "we've released zero fixes for the broken stuff, but we did release this perfectly working moneygrab" stuff.

#18 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

I just want to reiterate the advice for backup weapons. As a light driver, I will ALWAYS get in close to a dual gauss build, especially if it has no backup weapons. Also, the side torsi are pretty easy to hit if you're experienced, so learn how to torso twist while your weapon is charging. Additionally, I suggest first shaving armor off the head if you must shave from anywhere. Try to leave as much as you can everywhere else. (My friends and I tell our less-experienced light drivers to go for the legs on Jags.) Other than that, welcome back!!

#19 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

Awesomes aren't awesome, so don't buy them.

#20 kardam

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

Glad to see someone posting that MW is going well!

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users