R9 290X + Arctic Acellero Ii - 120

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

My used Reference XFX R9 290x ($430 for something that retails for +620 new was the perfect price) arrived yesterday, hooked it up and made sure it ran correctly before starting the project to replace the stock cooling with the Accelero Hybrid II - 120. Personally I think this is possibly the greatest upgrade I could have done for this card.

I will post more pics tomorow as I was up until 1:00am working on this and didnt have time to fully document. What it looks like loaded into the case and the modifications I had to make.

Posted Image

cleared of the OEM cooling

Posted Image
only took three hours to get the old card stripped bare, and the accellero connected. Was a lot of work, and time consuming, but I'm extremely happy with the performance and the thermal proflie.

Was odd to me that Accellero provides a sheet requesting you download and install evga;s app to hand the fan profile, but hey whatever works.

Resting Temp.

Posted Image

under load in mechwarrior online

Posted Image

#2 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

not bad, your temps are better than I get with my EVGA GTX 780ti SC ACX. I get high 65-70'c.

#3 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Those are idle, under load in Star Citizen they are about the same as what you get. . unfortunately since the patch I havent been able to play MWO, crash to blank screen requiring hard reset within 3 minutes of dropping into the match. . .

Edited by Lictor, 11 May 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#4 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Are you running dx 9 or 11? I have the 7970 which isn't too far different from your card and haven't had any trouble recently. I switched over to DX 11 as soon as I could however, because I was having trouble with my card before that. Also the 14.4 driver released recently has made my system a bit more stable than the drivers before that one.

#5 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostBelorion, on 17 May 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

Are you running dx 9 or 11? I have the 7970 which isn't too far different from your card and haven't had any trouble recently. I switched over to DX 11 as soon as I could however, because I was having trouble with my card before that. Also the 14.4 driver released recently has made my system a bit more stable than the drivers before that one.

I actually had to switch back to DX9 I get bad instability with DX11. Game locks goes to black screen only solution is to powercycle the PC. I'm runing the 14.4 driver as well.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users