#1 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

So last night I bought my first Battlemaster, I had been eyeing it for the longest time. Right out of the gate it was very meh. Of course I chalk this up to a stock mech on Caustic Valley against a decent team with a lot of LRM coverage.

Second match I reworked some weapons. 1 ERLL, 4ML, 1 LRM15, 1 LB10X AC.
We lost but I walked away with a solid 507 damage and a cool 174k cbills. So I refined it a little bit in smurfy (Im at work at the moment)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c64974f19d363ba

Ive only been playing since March so im still green. My merc group is helping me out but I also figured it would pay to ask your guys advice and suggestions. :D

Happy hunting, see you planetside.

#2 Viken

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Case won't protect your Side Torso XL Engine pieces from exploding from ammo. Even if the crit slots are avoided, it will still deal ammo explosion damage to the internal structure and destroy the entire side torso. That takes the XL engine with it and blows it up anyway.

The other thing is that you can put that heat sink in the engine if you wanted to, since it has up to 5 Heat Sinks of "Treated as external but not taking any crit slots" of space due to the Engine Rating. Every 25 rating past 250 means that it can hold a heat sink in the engine, even though it's treated as an external. Meaning, putting a double heat sink in that engine would still treat as +1.4 Heat Threshold and .14 Heat Lost per Second, as opposed to the 10 heatsinks mounted IN the engine which are true Double Heat Sinks (+2 Threshold and .2 HPS loss)

Unfortunately, that's about all I can give you for advice, since I'm not too good at Battlemasters myself.

#3 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

You could drop the LRMs, but they do give you options if your team volley fires at one target.

Go with two ac 5's, LL and 6 ML's. That is with the 380 XL.

I run a 400 XL with 2 x MG's, 6 ML, and one LL/ERLL/PPC/ERPPC. Standard armor and standard structure to fit more DHS. All are at 35% for heat.

I can run and gun at 82 kph.

#4 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

I see thanks.

Ive also tried it with a standard engine:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f99ea59b4be7d81

A friend suggested this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8fb2808c60bddfd

EDIT:

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 09 May 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

You could drop the LRMs, but they do give you options if your team volley fires at one target.

Go with two ac 5's, LL and 6 ML's. That is with the 380 XL.

I run a 400 XL with 2 x MG's, 6 ML, and one LL/ERLL/PPC/ERPPC. Standard armor and standard structure to fit more DHS. All are at 35% for heat.

I can run and gun at 82 kph.

Good jesus thats fast for an assault

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 09 May 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

The first time I ran that build I mauled a centurion on crimson straits after running him down, and still get comments to this day on the speed. Sometimes I run a rainbow mech with this: ERLL, LL, ML, MPL, SL, SPL, and the LPL. A 82 KPH assault is very fun running right behind a gaggle of mediums.

I like and have used the standard 300 build and really like the LPL and SPL build. I am not sure about the 4 tons of SRM ammo, but I do not use SRM much any more do to hit registration. You could go with an LRM 10 with two tons of ammo.

I have a rule of thumb for LRMs, I only need to fire 36 times. Since at the end, I just may not have any LRM ammo to have an ammo explosion.

I like to use the 6 torso hard points, and some times arm lock to focus as much damage as I can to one spot.

The 3M I think comes stock with the 340 XL and is cheaper than just buying a 340XL and and another mech separate. the Shadowhawk and Griffin are like this with one chassis having an XL. Not sure with the rest.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 09 May 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 09 May 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

So last night I bought my first Battlemaster, I had been eyeing it for the longest time. Right out of the gate it was very meh. Of course I chalk this up to a stock mech on Caustic Valley against a decent team with a lot of LRM coverage.

Second match I reworked some weapons. 1 ERLL, 4ML, 1 LRM15, 1 LB10X AC.
We lost but I walked away with a solid 507 damage and a cool 174k cbills. So I refined it a little bit in smurfy (Im at work at the moment)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c64974f19d363ba

Ive only been playing since March so im still green. My merc group is helping me out but I also figured it would pay to ask your guys advice and suggestions. :D

Happy hunting, see you planetside.

This is my personal BLR-1G build

BLR-1G It's nasty, and hits like a truck. All you need to do is shave half a ton off the cockpit and legs, and you can mount AMS.

Advise to turn arm lock on when piloting this mech. The arms are great shields too, btw.

#7 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 May 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

This is my personal BLR-1G build

BLR-1G It's nasty, and hits like a truck. All you need to do is shave half a ton off the cockpit and legs, and you can mount AMS.

Advise to turn arm lock on when piloting this mech. The arms are great shields too, btw.

Oh my god yes. Im trying this tonight.

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 09 May 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Oh my god yes. Im trying this tonight.

Glad you like it. Just a warning that it will be quite hot until you fully elite it to get double basics. Watch your alpha strikes. Also, Mount your LPLs last, and hope to get they end up in the high mounts. That will allow you to ridge hump like a champ.

A proper alpha from this mech can ruin any mech's day.

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

The Light Show, more effective and fun than it has any right to be.

Yeah, moving at 83.9 with Speed Tweak is awesome. The important thing to keep in mind is though you are fast, you still accelerate, break, and turn like a truck. Also, you ran down a Cent? Nice. I once circle strafed a Blackjack, it was hilarious.

#10 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

My sturdy, survivable BLR-1G. Once all elite skills are unlocked, I might try BLR-1G or BLR-1G... or even an ER-PPC on my STD300 version... For some reason I easily end up in the 600 damage range in pre-elite skills while my twin PPC/Gauss BLR-3M requires more skill to use.

I know the BLR has low arms and you can put PPCs in the torso. I think I prefer the vertical arm range more... choices choices...

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 10 May 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#11 Zigeunerskat

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

selfquote from another thread:

The BLR 1G was my first own Mech to really play with.

I used to run it with an LRM 20, 5 MLs and two AC2. This build is a straight improvement, I cut down on the LRMs due to the tube size but gained a Large Laser. The AC5s really shine as you can pump out lots of DPS with them and you will cool down while doing so, which matches very well with the laser arsenal.

Little downside is, you´ll probably need four weapon groups to manage the weapons.

In general I´d say that Battlemasters do best with high mobility, which means a big engine. They arent really tanky, especially not with an XL Engine, but your agility allows you to use cover and pop out at places which are really uncomfortable for the enemy. Your high torso energy mounts allow you to shot over hills with ease (seriously, they are about cockpit-high) or you can just stick your left arm out for some heavy ballistic fire. The Mech is best played, as others said, a super-heavy skirmisher and a flanker.
Avoid prolonged uncovered firefights because this energy-heavy Mech runs hot at some point. When enemy attention is focused elsewhere, pop out and bring in the pain.

#12 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

I run 2 ppc at ultra high mount point, 4ML in other chest mounts, and i threw on a srm6 with a ton of ammo recently in place of some MG/laser arms stuff I had going.

XL375, endo. 20 some odd DHS. PPC can shoot anything you can see, some stuff you cant see, they are that high up, and it is awesome. chainfire the ML, use ML and srm for those up close and personal fights.

had a match on crimson tonight, came down to a cripple atlas on my team and a healthy FS9 on their team, and me. I was off a bit so wasnt there initially to help atlas( had to fight a banshee) with the dhs on this mech, you can pretty well non stop chainfire the ml, and i dont mean like hold the button down, I use the more rapid click method. FS( tried all kinds of stuff to try to figure out how to get advantage on me for the brawl, but there was no place for him to not eat ML fire non stop, and eventually I took off a leg.

Dont be the front line guy. Let someone with better brawl weapns do that. strafe to your pals side a bit and sling ppc 20 point alphas down wind, a lot. You can beat brawlers pretty easy in it if you are in better shape then them, even if they have better close range loadouts. 4 ml and srm6 isnt chump brawl weapons after all, and you can shoot them, a lot.

So far I find the battlemaster to be a very versatile and potent chassis.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users