#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 14 May 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Not that I know of, I believe that it was designed after all the Harmony Gold issues.

I remember a toy like it for ExoSquad (a BT knockoff line), as well as a few others and then there's the similarities with Warhammer (who was also on the same line by another name).

But good if there isn't. :)

#22 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Isn't there an unseen reason to not get Hellbringer? Just morbidly curious.

"body" was taken from the Warhammer, if I recall correctly.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Lol. Just realized PGI's habbit of reusing resources would work here.

Arms of a Timber Wolf slapped on legs of a Summoner.

#24 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

basically it was all the mechs that were in the first edition of the battletech board game that are unseen. Marauder, warhammer , Phenoix hawk. FASA designed mechs that are like those one's but don't violate the copyright like Stone Rhino is a fatter Marauder, and Hellbringer is basically like the warhammer with out the big cannon arms

#25 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 14 May 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Im thinking they are introducing mechs that are a big part of those clans toumen, right now the mechs they have are big in the invading clans. When Nova cat and Steel Viper invades it will be Supernova, Shadowcat, and battle cobra

Minus, of course, the Ghost Bears. We appear to have gotten the shaft in terms of 'Mech selection :)

#26 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

"body" was taken from the Warhammer, if I recall correctly.

That is not enough to constitute copyright infringement. Also, Sarna does not list it as an "unseen" mech. The only thing I can think of is that PGI does not want to add another ECM mech.

#27 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 14 May 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

The only thing I can think of is that PGI does not want to add another ECM mech.

I am thinking more they were sticking with the 2 of each weight class bit - and it is rather less iconic than the two heavies they did pick. :)

#28 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 14 May 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

I am thinking more they were sticking with the 2 of each weight class bit - and it is rather less iconic than the two heavies they did pick. :)

True, I do not remember whether it was in the 3050 TRO, or if it was first introduced in the Jade Falcon source book.

View Post101011, on 14 May 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Minus, of course, the Ghost Bears. We appear to have gotten the shaft in terms of 'Mech selection :)

The Timber Wolf was quite popular in the Ghost Bear touman. You do need the Kodiac and Grizzly though.

#29 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 14 May 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

True, I do not remember whether it was in the 3050 TRO, or if it was first introduced in the Jade Falcon source book.

I never had any of the TRO - but the T-Wolf and M-Dog were the cover boys for MW2/3+Xpacs.

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 14 May 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

You do need the Kodiac and Grizzly though.

Those are coming, I am sure - eventually.

Of course now - eventually, we will probably have all the mechs - even the Mackie! :)

Edit: BAAAD Spelling

Edited by Shar Wolf, 14 May 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#30 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

It is pretty curious, though. The Hellbringer looks an awful lot like a Warhammer, extremely close, except for an upper torso redesign and slightly modified arms. That is perfectly safe from lawsuit yet any redesign of the Warhammer is not? I mean, both are humanoid, both have large shoulders, both have a weapon barrel arm on both sides, and both have a missile rack and lamp on their shoulders. I mean, physically they are virtually the same on all the key features (though the physical look of each differs).

The name of the mech is not the cause of the lawsuit, but the design, so I am surprised that they cannot design a mech that is similar to but different enough from the Warhammer's original look to be perfectly safe. Clearly, it looks like it does not take much.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 14 May 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#31 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 14 May 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

It is pretty curious, though. The Hellbringer looks an awful lot like a Warhammer, extremely close, except for an upper torso redesign and slightly modified arms. That is perfectly safe from lawsuit yet any redesign of the Warhammer is not? I mean, both are humanoid, both have large shoulders, both have a weapon barrel arm on both sides, and both have a missile rack and lamp on their shoulders. I mean, physically they are virtually the same on all the key features (though the physical look of each differs).

The name of the mech is not the cause of the lawsuit, but the design, so I am surprised that they cannot design a mech that is similar to but different enough from the Warhammer's original look to be perfectly safe. Clearly, it looks like it does not take much.

PGI is pobably worried that if they changed the appearance of the Warhammer too much, that there would be too much blowback from the community.

#32 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 14 May 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

PGI is pobably worried that if they changed the appearance of the Warhammer too much, that there would be too much blowback from the community.

I think if PGI makes sure it does not look too much like the reseen version, people would not be totally ticked. I mean, no matter what they do, it will piss some off, but at this point I get the feeling that people would just be happy to see it in game in one form or another. As long as the look does it justice.

#33 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 14 May 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

Backing up what Pariah said - there is a portion of the community who would get upset regardless of what PGI did or did not do.

I would not expect to see the Warhammer or the other missing Un/Re-seen any time soon, but rather like the Panther, Wolfhound, Mackie, and Urbanmech - eventually it will find it's way in.

Just like eventually Blizzard fixed Azhara and "fixed" the Barrens. :)

#34 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 14 May 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

Funnily enough, the Hellbringer is the Clan's spiritual successor to the Warhammer in terms of loadout as well.

#35 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think the problem with the Hellbringer is the A-Pods

#36 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Eh. A_Pods seems easy enough to solve. Use that tonnage for armor. Now the mech is slightly less crappy out of the box. :)

#37 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

They do seem to prefer putting the actually piece of equipment there though - even if it doesn't do anything (see the CC on the DDC)

#38 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostGrimwill, on 14 May 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Im thinking they are introducing mechs that are a big part of those clans toumen, right now the mechs they have are big in the invading clans. When Nova cat and Steel Viper invades it will be Supernova, Shadowcat, and battle cobra

Then why we have no Ice Ferret and Gargoyle? :)

View PostPariah Devalis, on 14 May 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

I think if PGI makes sure it does not look too much like the reseen version, people would not be totally ticked. I mean, no matter what they do, it will piss some off, but at this point I get the feeling that people would just be happy to see it in game in one form or another. As long as the look does it justice.

There is another game in which there is a very nice Warhammer.. ;)

View PostPariah Devalis, on 14 May 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Eh. A_Pods seems easy enough to solve. Use that tonnage for armor. Now the mech is slightly less crappy out of the box. :lol:

Maybe it could be even too powerful. You have to pay something for that crazy loadout on a 60 ton heavy ;)

#39 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 15 May 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

Then why we have no Ice Ferret and Gargoyle? :)

There is another game in which there is a very nice Warhammer.. ;)

Maybe it could be even too powerful. You have to pay something for that crazy loadout on a 60 ton heavy ;)

Still horribly undersinked. :lol: Plus, even with the 1 ton free for armor, the hellbringer is still about 3 tons shy of decent armor protection. The mech is literally about 4 tons under armored, stock. o_0

Which, incidentally, is about what you would be in the Mad Dog, as well.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 15 May 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#40 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

Are you talking about me?
Posted Image
Spoiler

But don't worry, the Hellbringer/Loki, Mad Dog/Vulture will come soon enough. PGI will certainly release another Clan pack in a few months, with the 8 remaining "starter" omnimechs.

EDIT: more info about the next mechs here. Unfortunately, Supernova, Kodiak and Grizzly (as all other non-omni Clan mechs) probably won't make it to MWO (because of the 3 variants requirement).

Edited by Odanan, 15 May 2014 - 05:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users